Important Survey - Please Participate ×

At what cost?

[Su...]

At what cost do we stay medication free?

I almost killed myself because I hadn't slept in weeks and was told over and over by people on benzo forums NOT to take any medications.

I know of those who got so depressed in benzo withdrawal that they did try to kill themselves because they were told to avoid anti-depressants at any cost.

Is it really our place to tell people not to take anything just because WE didn't ?

Only the person going through the pain and suffering knows how much suffering they can take.

[01...]

Hi Sunny,

i totally agree with what you are saying and you know that i am desperate for sleep.

My problem is that i am so medication sensitive and paradoxical to the meds.

In the past I have tried:

Ambien, Lunesta, Imovane - of course before I knew they were Z drugs, but they made me vomit and no sleep on just a night or two so they were out!

Also tried Traz, didnt work made me agitated bigtime and shaky

Seroquel gave me insane dreams and I was cogwheeling and got a rash, even the nurse who dispensed it told me i was allergic and never to take it - and the Psych people rarely admit to anyone having problems.

She flat out told me I was paradoxical to Traz and Seroquel.

So now I just wait and wait and last week, Thursday and Friday I was suicidal. I went a week without sleep.

Slept 8 hours Saturday, yes. and then last night none.

Im a housebound half dead zombie but dont know what to do

Tried melatonin, magnesium, tart cherry, california poppy, valerian - early in withdrawal

I think i just have to stick it out, not sure what else to do.

Pray really thats what my husband and I do, and we cry a lot!

This is awful

4 months this week and Im a mess

Melo xoxo

My heart literally aches for you Christine. I will pray for you and your husband. My husband and I have spent much time on bended knees ourselves!

Have you tried a benadryl?

Some have had success with an anti-nausea drug, I think it's called Vistoral but I'm not sure.

those people who say those things are the freaks to me... ashton says if you are that depressed it seems foolhardy to leave it untreated. Page 62.

Hi I am sorry you are suffering like this,but you know this is only a benzo-withdrawal support forum and the people can only speak about their own experiences,so if you feel very depressed then see a doctor,nobody on here ever claims to be a doctor...so you see we can all support each other,but we can't really give advice. Sometimes going through this hell we read and ask questions and will try everything to get better,but we forget there is no doctors on here and all we can really do is follow the tapering advice and care for each other emotionally.....

I hope you will find peace again and that one day you can look back at this horrible time in your life as something from your distant past.

Hi,

I don't think anyone should tell you what you should or should not take, only you and your doctor know what is best for you. I think the same thing applies to tapers and taper rates. You will see alot of different opinions on what is "ideal" as far as a taper rate. I think until one actual tapers, they will not know their ideal rate. In fact, the ideal rate, for me, changed many times.

I will be in honest in telling you I personally do not believe in these medications. I will choose to return to a straight edged lifestyle that I enjoyed prior to making the mistake of getting on Klonopin and Trazodone for my sleep issues. I can also tell you that I have never been in your shoes or anyone else's shoes here, so while I these medications are never something I would consider again, if it helps someone else live a better life and they have exhausted all other options, I think that sometimes these meds are the only answer for some people. In the end, it is all about quality of life. The only thing I would tell someone who is considering using an AD or even benzos would be to do your research on all these meds. Weigh the pros and cons, be your own advocate and then make as educated of a decision as you can when it comes to taking the medication or not taking the medication.

I don't think there is anything wrong with someone expressing his or her opinion. I've expressed mine above...no use for those types of drugs, but the person expressing the opinion should stop at that point, and not try to force that opinion upon you. They should respect your opinion and hopefully, in return, you respect theirs. Usually that is what happens on this forum, I rarely see things get out of hand here. I see that often people don't agree, but generally, it stays pretty civil. I had problems on another forum when it seemed no one wanted to help me taper because I would not use Valium. The problem was..I could not taper with Valium as I could not find anyone in my area to prescribe it and I ended up doing a direct taper from Klonopin.

TC

At what cost do we stay medication free?

I almost killed myself because I hadn't slept in weeks and was told over and over by people on benzo forums NOT to take any medications.I know of those who got so depressed in benzo withdrawal that they did try to kill themselves because they were told to avoid anti-depressants at any cost.

Is it really our place to tell people not to take anything just because WE didn't ?

Only the person going through the pain and suffering knows how much suffering they can take.

I know I never say that and know it is not the policy of this forum to urge people to stay medication free at all costs.  Perhaps you have confused us with another forum.  :-\  I myself am on an anti-depressant and have used both benedryl and melatonin at different times for a little help getting to sleep; I don't think it interferred with my healing at all.

I think it's generally good advice to encourage people not to take any drugs because the chances are they will be made worse if they do.  Most people do not process substances normally during benzo withdrawal and many things that are harmless or even helpful for a healthy person will have a paradoxical effect and make us sick.  And when something does set us off, it could last weeks or months.  It is hardly worth that risk especially for someone already having a difficult time. 

Ryan,

That is actually a great point. Something as simple as fish oil (I know its a supplement, not a med) reved up my symptoms during the tapering process. Generally, fish oil is thought to be great for us, but in my case, and a few others here, we had a negative reaction.

TC

My heart literally aches for you Christine. I will pray for you and your husband. My husband and I have spent much time on bended knees ourselves!

Have you tried a benadryl?

Some have had success with an anti-nausea drug, I think it's called Vistoral but I'm not sure.

Use care with anti-nausea drugs.  They are actually psychiatric drugs...mood stabilizers.  How would have thought?

When I was in tolerance w/d from k i had severe nausea and was given Phenergan and Compazine.  Turns out these drugs are counterindicated when in benzo w/d.  This counterindication is in info at the following site:  http://www.bcnc.org.uk/drugs.html

I remember that during tolerance i was taking phenergan and compazine and my anxiety was through the roof.

I hope this info helps you.  What ever you decide, i support you.  Also, for nausea help, you may want to try natural remedies at earthclinic.com; they saved me.

peace,

libby

beeper this site if full of them they go about it a round about way which is getting old to me.

I have seen what prozac does it made someone who was a inch away from suicide do a complete turn around to a happy functioning person, I saw this with my own eyes because he was a close friend of mine and still is.

My aunt claims Prozac saved her life.

There is a Buddy here who with the help of a A/D tapered off a large amount of Benzo and claims they could not have done it without the A/D

I rather take a drug and be alive then listen to freaks tell me all meds are evil.

Hey guys, I wasn't accusing anyone of this in particular, I was just opening a dialogue on the subject.

This forum is awesome!  I'm just speaking more in generalities. I used to be on another forum before I knew about this one where people were bullied and intimidated and ridiculed for taking something to help them get through it.

I just wanted to open the topic.

I'm sorry if anyone took offense to this, it was not my intention at all. I promise.

I think this was a well stated topic, Sunny, and one that seems to be a common issue among people associated with benzo use, along with the supplement/vitamin issue.    People on this site are less judgmental than the other one regarding choices of people tapering or having kicked benzos.

Well, clearly a person is better off without more meds,  but Dr. Ashton, while certainly not suggesting anti depressants as a terrific aid,  does leave the door open for use should circumstances dictate for depression or insomnia.  

We all have to choose our own path for sure based on our own circumstances, as you state S71.

BenzoBuddies Mission Statement

BenzoBuddies provides an inclusive and nonjudgmental mutual support environment for those who wish to withdraw from benzodiazepines. Members of our community forum exchange ideas, information, and encouragement with each other during the withdrawal process. The BenzoBuddies Team and fellow members will help you develop a sensible withdrawal schedule – one to suit your specific needs.

Although outside of the immediate scope of BenzoBuddies, our members are free to discuss all their medications and medical needs, and the complications that arise from poly-drug use and withdrawal.

BenzoBuddies is not an anti-psychiatric or an anti-doctor community. Nor are we 'anti-benzodiazepine', as such. Taking or quitting a medicine should be a personal decision made in consultation with a suitably qualified medical practitioner. BenzoBuddies seeks to provide information and support to help the benzodiazepine-dependent to safely taper off and enjoy a new benzo-free life.

Guidelines Regarding the Giving of Medical Advice

BenzoBuddies is a mutual support community of non-medical professionals, helping those that wish to end their dependency upon benzodiazepines.

Although members are encouraged to relate their personal experiences, post options, and express opinions, it is inappropriate to urge other members into particular actions or inactions regarding their medical treatment. Although we are here to help those that wish to quit benzodiazepines, the decision to quit (or not quit) is for the individual to take in consultation with a suitably qualified medical practitioner.

By extension of the above principles, it would be inappropriate for members to attempt to 'diagnose' ailments of (or 'prescribe' treatments for) other members. Whilst it is permitted for members to discuss their wider medical problems and needs, especially as they relate to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, it is important to understand the limitations of the BenzoBuddies community. Our focus is upon benzodiazepine withdrawal support; decisions regarding medical treatment are for individual members to take in consultation with a doctor.

Although our focus is indeed support, members are bound to have questions, will wish to discuss practical issues and problems, and share information. There is no limit upon reasonable discussion, but you should consider how your writing style might affect those reading your words. Since individuals are highly variable in how they react to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, and some people taking benzodiazepines are more suggestible than they might be under different circumstances, you should avoid making blanket statements.

Thanks for posting that Pamster.

Just want to make clear I was not accusing this forum of doing otherwise.  I think this forum is a wonderful place that has helped me beyond words.

Maybe I was thinking too about the restrictions we might place on ourselves in regard to this topic. It's our right of course, but I know I was so burned and disappointed by the medical field that I refused to take the help that I was offered until it was almost too late.

[01...]

i think this is a helpful discussion, for me it's not that I am for or against anyone else adding meds to get thru this mess.

I know for me I am so sensitive to the obvious meds for sleep, so I have to wait it out.

I'm hoping that 4 months really is just too soon in this mess to say for sure one way or another, but I have tried other ways. they just made me sick, I was totally paradoxical.

I didn't have insomnia prior to Remeron and Klonopin so I have to hope and pray that my body will return to homeostasis on it's own.

If someone else needs and AD or sleep aide, I don't see it as a bad thing at all.

we all have to function.

Wishing everyone the best in healing.

Thank you

Melo

i think this is a helpful discussion, for me it's not that I am for or against anyone else adding meds to get thru this mess.

I know for me I am so sensitive to the obvious meds for sleep, so I have to wait it out.

I'm hoping that 4 months really is just too soon in this mess to say for sure one way or another, but I have tried other ways. they just made me sick, I was totally paradoxical.

I didn't have insomnia prior to Remeron and Klonopin so I have to hope and pray that my body will return to homeostasis on it's own.

If someone else needs and AD or sleep aide, I don't see it as a bad thing at all.

we all have to function.

Wishing everyone the best in healing.

Thank you

Melo

Christine, you are making the best decisions for yourself and I have the utmost respect for you and am amazed at how strong you are despite the complete hell you have been through and are going through.

beeper this site if full of them they go about it a round about way which is getting old to me.

I have seen what prozac does it made someone who was a inch away from suicide do a complete turn around to a happy functioning person, I saw this with my own eyes because he was a close friend of mine and still is.

My aunt claims Prozac saved her life.

There is a Buddy here who with the help of a A/D tapered off a large amount of Benzo and claims they could not have done it without the A/D

I rather take a drug and be alive then listen to freaks tell me all meds are evil.

sundaze,

Your comments border on rudeness, you're free to offer your opinion, but please do so with a tone of mutual respect.

Thank you,

Pamster

rude to who ? did I strike a chord in you or someone else ?

Hi sundaze,

Your comments seem to be accusatory in nature, the subject at hand would be better served if you were to offer your comments in a way that didn't bring negativity to the discussion.

those people who say those things are the freaks to me... ashton says if you are that depressed it seems foolhardy to leave it untreated. Page 62.

I do not want anyone to get in trouble for posting their thoughts and feelings here.

What sundaze is saying is true, it's happened before and most likely will happen again, that some impose their view of taking supplements or medications on others in a rather course way, but the reason I started this topic is to encourage people to respect others suffering and the choices they make while enduring.

Often we forget that we are not doctors even if we feel we've had to become experts on the topic of benzo withdrawal.

I believe that we know more than most doctors do about the subject of withdrawal such as medications to avoid while going through it, symptoms, how long it actually does take to be healed and all about GABA receptors. But we need to be careful that we are balanced in our thoughts about this subject in respect to ourselves and others going through the same thing.

Sunny,

I don't think anyone got in trouble for expressing his or her views. Calling people who don't want to take drugs freaks is as bad as calling someone who is taking drugs a freak. :) I have heard people who don't do drugs called "squares" in some old tv shows, but never freaks. :)

I don't think anyone is angry you brought up the discussion. I think, for the most part, it was a spirited discussion.

TC