Mesenchymal Stem Cells!

[...]

What would be the worst case scenario if anything would go wrong under a therapy with stem cells?

(Just asking, do not react angry please its a normal question I ask any time I consider a new form of therapy!)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [to...]

• [Ta...]

• [ra...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[43...]

What would be the worst case scenario if anything would go wrong under a therapy with stem cells?

(Just asking, do not react angry please its a normal question I ask any time I consider a new form of therapy!)

a couple of articles  and there are many others online  so research research research into all forms of therapy before taking steps to access it.

One is  mainly talking about curing paralysis/spinal cord injury,  with stem cells however could be relevant to other less tested problems like benzo withdrawal ( brain problems )  worth a read perhaps  the first is a closer look at stem cell therapy

https://www.closerlookatstemcells.org/stem-cells-medicine/nine-things-to-know-about-stem-cell-treatments/

https://www.themiamiproject.org/about-stem-cells/

One of the bad things about stem cells is that they have been over-hyped by the media in regard to their readiness for treating multiple diseases.  As a result, stem cell tourism has become a lucrative yet unethical business worldwide.

No stem cells have been proven to be effective therapies for SCI, therefore everything is still experimental and carries with it significant risk – hence it is extremely unethical to charge people money for unproven, risk-filled therapies. 

Very commonly, mesenchymal stem cells are sold as treatments for multiple diseases, including SCI.  The term mesenchymal stem cells can be confusing because there are actually many different sub-types of cells that are collectively referred to as “mesenchymal stem cells” and they are not all good for therapeutics.

There is an increasing push for developing definitions and standards for mesenchymal stem cells (see Nature 25 July 2013 volume 499 page 389).  The Miami Project supports the position statement published in 2009 by the International Campaign for Cures for Paralysis.  “We do not rule out the possibility that cellular therapies may improve function and quality of life for recipients and justify the risks, but insist that the onus is on the providers to deliver such proof from a valid clinical-trial program.

” We believe that it is unethical to sell unproven therapies and we do not advise people with spinal cord injuries to participate in such treatment procedures.

The ugly thing about unethical people selling unproven, unregulated stem cell products is that innocent people get hurt. 

Many negative effects go unreported, but we know they happen.  In 2011, the German government shut down the XCell-Center because a young boy died as a result of treatments they sold.  In 2012, 60 Minutes presented a huge expose on stem cell fraud.

And just recently, a case report was published in the Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine revealing a large tumor-like mass that developed inside the spinal cord of a person who had olfactory mucosa tissue transplanted into the injury site by the highly controversial Carlos Lima in Portugal.  Olfactory mucosa tissue contains a large variety of cells, not just the olfactory ensheathing cells that are much better studied as a potential therapeutic.  The mass was discovered 8 years after the transplantation.

Nov-- I'm in 100% agreement with you.  I can sense where you're coming from too.  I recognize it because I was in that state a couple of times myself.  When I flew to Australia to get Flumazenil treatment in 2013, I had only jumped the previous year but due to the long taper, I was basically in withdrawal for three years at that point and I was desperate to return to my life.  I read everything I could find on it, endless studies most of which talked only briefly about benzo withdrawal.  But I was convinced it would help.  I really didn't even think about it possibly hurting me.  I had found no evidence of any negative consequences from it.  There were a lot of benzo people who claimed as much, but I knew that it wasn't the flumazenil that had done it to them, but rather the rapid tapers and cold turkeys that they were forced into by the clinics.  The fluz was just there to prevent them from dying or having a seizure.  The initial trial infusion had a positive response and by the third day, I felt I was in a window.  I was absolutely elated.  But in the end, the path I chose, the implant, did not work for me and I came back feeling defeated.  On top of that, the trip was so exhausting (30 hours in total. 4 different flights) that it took me six months to recover from it. 

It was demoralizing but I was glad I did it.  I needed to know and it would have eaten me alive wondering and wondering about why I didn't go or what if.  After that, I had a painfully slow but steady recovery over the next 3 years or so, to the point where I was feeling about 85% recovered.  I started working more, lifting more, traveling more, I was dating and we were going out to dinners and plays and movies etc.  So I had largely put the trip behind me.  But then one day, literally in one day, I returned to acute withdrawal.  I was working out of town and it was early in the morning and we were just socializing before our shift began.  And the room started spinning. Incredible vertigo which I hadn't experienced since I jumped.  I nearly fell down.  And it just kept spiraling and spiraling.  I had to go back to my hotel room.  I could barely help them on the project.  It was ugly.  I somehow managed to finish the project but then I flew home and cancelled whatever was next on my schedule.  I thought it would only take a week or two to get back to baseline.  I figured I had overdone things and just needed a little break.

Well, one week turned into two, two turned into a month, and a month turned into 6.  Imagine having your life taken from you for 3 years only to get it somewhat back for over a year and believe that you could never go backwards again.  And then to return to a full acute state and remain there for 6 months.  I was so defeated and depressed that I was in a dangerous position mentally.  Something needed to happen.  So I began to research glutamate and NMDA receptors.  I thought that maybe it wasn't the GABAA that needed antagonizing but the NMDA receptors instead.  That they were stuck open or that they could influence the GABAA receptors.  There's a lot of parallels between that theory and the current one Ramcon is working on.  Ketamine seemed like it was the perfect antagonist.  A medication used millions of times a day to wake people up from surgery.  Extremely well tolerated with minor to non-existent side effects.  So off I went to the clinic at 600 dollars a session.  Like the flumazenil treatment, the first treatment of ketamine also had a positive effect on me.  But it was different than the flumazenil which felt much more organic.  The ketamine window felt like it was forced open.  Like it was artificial.  I did three more follow up sessions but they did not replicate the effects of the first one and in the end I terminated the experiment. 

That was exactly three years ago.  These past three years have been the worst of my withdrawal and the worst of my life in general.  I have been in this wave now for three and a half years and withdrawal in general for close to 10.  I no longer work that job after being in that industry for 18 years.  I can't work any job in person.  I make what I can online and I go to school online to complete my degree I started 20 years ago.  But the worst thing about all of it is that I can no longer track my progress on a linear scale like I did those first 4 years.  I'm far worse in 2019 that I was in 2016 and even so in 2014.  I would log in here and there would be very few stories I could relate to and nobody was talking about cures or treatments which I thought was the only true answer to ending this condition.  So I would just log out again feeling defeated.

But in the past 6 months, I feel like the mentality has shifted on this website and there are a lot of people now experimenting and looking for a cure, something that was largely written off in the past with the established dogma that only time could heal withdrawal.  This is the most optimistic I've been in this long long wave and I honestly believe that somebody here is going to find something that if not outright reverses withdrawal then something that severely reduces the strength of the symptoms.  Benzo withdrawal is now being studied at the University of Arizona.  Awareness has never been higher.  It honestly feels like we're on the cusp of a major breakthrough.

In the end, you're going to have to make a decision that you can live with just as I did.  Whatever that is, I fully support you.  Like my decision to go to Australia, it's not going to be an easy one.  This is expensive treatment we are talking about and it involves flying to a different country and staying there for a minimum of 3 to 5 days.  It's taxing for anybody to do but especially us here in withdrawal.  And unlike flumazenil or even ketamine which have been around and studied for over 80 years, stem cells are still relatively new and there is a lot of unknowns.  I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide. 

[43...]

tooktoolong  :smitten::clap: :clap:

Wow what a wonderful and insightful post on all your efforts to help yourself.

Thank you for so much great information.

We each have to listen to our own bodies and do what we feel right for ourselves  also. 

The choices are ours always.

Thank you for taking the time to write  that.  Enlightening and thoughtful.  :smitten:

Thank you Sky.  I really love this group of people participating in these threads.  So many intelligent and educated people.  I know somebody is going to find something that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I really love this group of people participating in these threads.  So many intelligent and educated people.  I know somebody is going to find something that helps.

Pardon my late reply - I've been feeling quite wavy.

I too appreciate your detailed, informative post, took.

I relate to every single bit of it, painfully so. My story echoes yours...just on a more condensed timeframe.

Your extended suffering time, however, is the reason that I am an advocate and constant researcher of things like MSCs. That is too effing long for any of us to go through this crap. My 2 and a half years has been too effing long. And those types of stories, and others where people have setbacks years and years down the line, always make me fear that these issues will linger and reappear if the underlying physiological damage isn't actually addressed and healed. I know some interventions on our end can make things worse, I know that all too well. But I hope we can find methods of intervention that do not exacerbate our underlying issues, but rather softly attenuate and heal problems at the root. I'm not saying MSCs can unequivocally do that, but based on the way that they work and the research and publications I have seen, it SEEMS like they would either be greatly beneficial in this or, worst case, innocuous. 

Hi again!

Wondering if Nov3 has gone in to have the therapy done yet?

I am very interested myself but gathering more info.

Hiyah, Tater!

Not yet...!! Still on the 'raising funds' part of my journey.

I'd love to continue discussions as you gather info though!

Super happy to keep this conversation and quest alive and super happy to see others with interest.

Of all the discussion and theories that have taken place on this thread as of late, imo this still seems to be the most promising in the present. It seems to be applicable to many or most of the proposed potential problems and damage.

• 1 month later...

Here is a recent (last month) vlog from Jocelyn Pederson of Benzo Brains, providing updates on her stem cell treatments for her benzo damage.

She has been traveling to Mexico for the treatments. She was initially doing shark stem cells (I cannot personally advocate for those as I don't know enough and have read some questionable things) but she did a recent treatment with umbilical mesenchymal stem cells (the ones I've been advocating for!) and has all positive things to say.

She had no negative experiences from them, and in fact, her body responded extremely well. She states that they've relieved her of severe benzo-induced facial nerve pain and even helped her in withdrawing from progesterone. She feels they are finally (after 4 years) helping her heal and return to normalcy.

She also details other steps she's taken to heal such as nutrition and hormone balancing. She talks about going for treatments multiple times, I don't know what protocol she is using, i.e. the stem cell dosage, or how the shark cells worked previously, but most accounts I've read (in people with other nerve/brain issues) one powerfully dosed treatment is generally sufficient....if not, maybe one more. So she may just need to do a higher level of MSCs to really nip things in the bud, imo.... But regardless, she is apparently getting better and better from them!

Some quotes-

'I hope I can at least get back to Mexico one more time because I think that would really make my life to where I could live a normal life again'

'Now that I have this tool of stem cells under my belt... I'm really really hopeful.'

'I'm not saying stem cell therapy is the cure for everybody... I just wanted to tell you guys about it because that's what's worked for me.'

So now we have a protracted (& by all accounts trusted and notable) benzo sufferer getting great results and having a great reaction to MSCs. Vocalizing her belief in this therapy and its power and potential.

We have published peer-reviewed studies stating that MSCs can heal kindled brain receptors and protect against glutamate excitotoxicity. We have a plethora of studies, accounts, and ongoing clinical trials using MSCs for a myriad of nervous system issues - multiple sclerosis (lots), fibromyaglia, dysautonomia, TBI, Alzheimers, and overall inflammation in general... Virtually all demonstrating safety and efficacy, with no major complications.

..........I'm just sayin'.

I mean I've been sayin' for months, but... Power and potential, y'all.

*continues to put money in stem cell savings account*

Hope you're all hanging in there and staying strong. <3

Hey Nov,

Hope you are well, or at least ok.  If you have a few protracted buddies stating they feel they got their life back from a m-stem cell treatment, that would be fantastic.  There is one other treatment that never made its way to chewing the fat because I have "been to wavy" to move it.  It is not "my baby," but discovered by buddy Shamo3:  NAD+ IV infusions.

Take a look at his thread:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=233843.0

You guys know me by now, and I don't buy into anything unless I can see a connection as to why it might work.  I found one:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5289950/pdf/fncel-11-00021.pdf

I will not say I have anywhere near 100% confidence in it, but it is plausible, and I intend to get input from people who know more than I do before I invest a few grand.  I emailed questions to the authors, but so far no reply.  Right now, on a probability scale based on my limited knowledge of both treatments and my "gut," I would give MSC a "5," and NAD+ IV infusions a "7."  That rating may change as I learn more, but I thought I would bring it to your attention since it is on BB, but never made it here to "research central."

Let me know what you think.

Ramcon1

• 2 weeks later...

Nov,

Good stuff bud.  I was a bit harsh earlier about "not waiting to feel better."  I have a few decent days in a row, not good, but no longer desperate, only to be slammed yesterday by a real wave.  I can literally feel the glutamate coursing in my nerves for no good reason other than it was Friday, and I know exactly what you mean.

We don't need to be "ok," to do anything, but we sure as hell can't start something if we are wavy.

I forgot that for a short while.

I hope you get to a place of confidence.  Who knows, maybe NAD+ can be synergistic with MSC, or maybe they will work equally well? (Or maybe the will make our spleens explode ;-) But I hope we both get to try, and report back in a few months with a thumbs up or down.

Good luck buddy,

Ramcon1

• 3 months later...

Here's a couple more relevant mesenchymal stem cell studies I have not posted on here yet...

Again, a lot of the verbiage looks to be along the lines of exactly what we need to achieve homestasis in our hyper-excited bodies and brains, imo... reduced glutamate receptor subunit expression... reduced glutamate-induced calcium influx... reduced neuronal sensitivity to glutamate receptor ligands and even altering gene expression. Not to mention the past articles I've posted regarding MSCs reconstructing kindled receptors and protecting against glutamate excitotoxicity by inhibiting glutamate receptor expression and function... It's good stuff! :)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5877512/

'Mesenchymal Stem Cell Protection of Neurons against Glutamate Excitotoxicity Involves Reduction of NMDA-Triggered Calcium Responses and Surface GluR1, and Is Partly Mediated by TNF'

'Neuroprotection is associated with reduced NMDA glutamate receptor (NMDAR) subunit expression and neuronal glutamate-induced calcium (Ca2+) responses, and increased expression of stem cell-associated genes'

https://www.omicsdi.org/dataset/geo/GSE26279

'Protection by MSC was associated with reduced levels of genes encoding NMDA receptor subunits...'

'Furthermore, MSC-mediated neuroprotection in rat retinal ganglion cells was associated with reduced glutamate-induced calcium influx.'

'These results show that MSC mediate direct neuroprotection by reducing neuronal sensitivity to glutamate receptor ligands and altering gene expression, and suggest a link between the therapeutic effects of MSC and the activation of cell plasticity in the damaged CNS.

I hope everyone is staying healthy amidst the COVID stuff.

As an update on my stem cell pursuits, obviously, international travel has been shut down for months and months. I initially expressed interest in a Mexican clinic, and am still considering it because of the affordability, but am now also really considering one in Grand Cayman - DVC Stem. This clinic has been around for more than a decade, has successfully treated various high profile patients, and is actively conducting ongoing clinical studies using mesenchymal stem cells for multiple sclerosis. It's a highly respected clinic and they charge $20k for an infusion with a very high amount of bioavailable cells (sourced and tested from an FDA-compliant, highly-regulated lab in the United States). They also offer a funding option that allows you to make payments on the treatment for 14 months with no interest! 'Tis intriguing.

The recent buzz on NAD+ is very interesting to me as well! I've even seen some clinics who include NAD+ treatments with their stem cells. I may give it a shot prior to traveling abroad for mesenchymal cells. 'Cause why not!? The Emerald Neuro Recover place is fairly close to me and I'm actually doing a virtual meeting with it's doctor tomorrow.

Just looking for some improvement where ever I can get it...! Both aforementioned options seem to have a good amount of potential, whether based on research and publications or patient accounts and experiences.

Anyway...

I hope everyone is continuing their pursuits toward healing.

Stay safe out there!! It's a mad world.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1044743112000267

'MSCs selectively increased hippocampal GABAergic pre-synapses.'

'The results obtained here indicate that MSC-secreted factors induce glial-dependent neuronal survival and trigger an augmented GABAergic transmission in hippocampal cultures, highlighting a new effect by which MSCs could promote CNS repair. Our results suggest that MSCs may be useful in those neurological disorders characterized by an impairment of excitation versus inhibition balance.'

• 3 months later...

Just a quick little update for everyone interested in this thread.

A month or so after I tried 15 days of NAD+ (felt worse after, no improvement, see that thread if interested) I decided to pull the trigger on some mesenchymal stem cells!!

I traveled to Mexico last week and got some MSCs put into my brain. I have been doing research over the past year on clinics and suppliers and am confident in the clinic I went to and the results people have there. It's operated by an American guy too, so there was no language barrier or anything. And the hospital was incredibly nice, clean, etc.

I opted for a small, relatively inexpensive ($700) treatment to test the waters. Instead of doing a full IV with 100-300 million stem cells, I decided to have 20 million put directly into my brain... Well, they injected them into the mucous membrane of my nose (ouch!) which bypasses the blood brain barrier and enters the blood stream quickly, traveling right to the brain.

And I'm certain they went there, as for about two days after the treatment, I felt like my symptoms were a little bit exacerbated. Nothing major, just felt like something was going on in my brain... I had a bit of anxiety too and a headache (doctor said that was to be expected prior to the injections) but all dissipated after a couple days and I returned to my baseline symptoms and have been there for a week or so.

The results are supposed to start showing up from 3 to 6 months, so it will take time. The publication I read/posted about MSCs attenuating kindled receptors looked at them 3 months post injection as well. So... I suppose I will report back in a few months!!

First test passed though, they certainly didn't cause a setback.

Nov, I am proud of you for going.  That was a huge adventure for somebody in our condition and I applaud you for having the courage, in the middle of a global pandemic, in the middle of withdrawal, to travel internationally and get this done.  I think you were smart in getting the smaller dose to see how you tolerate it.  I really do hope it works for you and I will be awaiting your progress reports.  Thanks for chronicling the whole process here in the forum. 

• 6 months later...

7 month update.

It's been a wild experience. But I think I can share some really valuable information.

As a refresher, I had 20 million stem cells injected instranasally. This method of administration bypasses the blood brain barrier and goes directly into the brain. So, while my entire nervous system is benzo damaged, I started small and just treated the brain itself directly. They told me I would start to see results at around 3 months and the stem cells would be in my body for approximately 6 months.

For the first three months after my treatment, I didn't really feel much different. Happier, maybe. Had little pep in my step I guess. I can remember finding it easier to get up in the morning... But, again, mostly business as usual.

Then at 3 months, one day, a wave of something akin to 'anxiety' overcame me. I didn't know what was happening, so I freaked out and had a mini panic attack... That 'feeling' remained though. Panic. Or... something close to it. It ended up lasting an entire month.

Throughout that month, I began to describe what I was feeling as 'body anxiety' because I had absolutely no anxiety or panic in my brain. My brain actually was feeling noticeably better. But my body... Wow. Terribly uncomfortable. It was like my body was in a constant state of fight or flight. My brain continued to feel better though... Like, really good. It almost felt supercharged. Awake, alive, pure... But it was like my body/the rest of my nervous system couldn't handle my newly supercharged brain.

I walked around with wide eyes from the pure energy and alertness that flowed through my brain. But my body was literally trembling. It was a strange dichotomy, like my brain was in an excellent, relaxed but energized state but my body was constantly trying to ward off a panic attack and incredible discomfort.

My stem cell doctors had never seen anything like it (of course) and I couldn't find anyone with similar a similar experience. It last for about a month then stopped. My brain continued to feel GOOD. Long story, but I ended up having to fly to Europe (I live in the US). The trip was grueling. We're talking 27 hours worth of flying one way, no food, no sleep, constant running from one gate to the next, carrying heavy bags, etc...

The entire trip I was absolutely flabbergasted by how well my brain was handling it... Prior to stem cells, if I so much as walked too fast or a few minutes beyond my humble threshold, I would be plagued by awful brain discomfort, fuzziness, and fatigue. Yet, after 27 hours of travel, my brain was PURE, ALIVE, UNFAZED. It was pretty wild...... of course, after the travel my body was utterly broken. I don't think I was able to move for a solid week, but even though my body was beaten down my brain stayed stable.

About a month later (~ 5 months post treatment), the 'physical anxiety' came back, maybe even worse than the first round. Sooo uncomfortable. Again, if you've ever had a panic attack, that's exactly what my body felt like every single day.... for another month. Terribly difficult to endure. But this time, I was able to get ahold of and communicate with a scientist who worked specifically with stem cells for neurological issues for the past 16 years. He wasn't from the clinic I went to and wasn't offering any services, just talking to me about the science of it all and the things he's learned in his research.

Immediately as I introduced my situation, he rambled off EXACTLY what seemed to be happening to me...

SO. As stated, I ONLY treated my brain. BUT... My entire nervous system is damaged, fragile, and sensitive. I thought I would ease into the stem cells and get a small treatment with just intranasal injections for my brain, to see if it helped and then go from there. After all, the brain is the most important part of the nervous system. So helping to heal it even a little bit could do nothing but help my cause....... well, turns out it’s probably not that simple.

The scientist I talked to quickly exclaimed that what I’m experiencing is clear evidence of a ‘partial recovery’. He said since I only treated my brain, that’s (obviously) the only part of the nervous system that will see benefits... which turns out, can be a bit problematic if the rest of the damaged nervous system is not also addressed.

The stem cells in my brain had lead to 'neurogenesis' or lots of new neurons forming to replace my old, benzo-damaged, sensitized neurons. When new neurons form in the brain, the first thing they do to get acclimated and configured is they send out lots of impulses and wait for responses from the rest of the nervous system. This is how they establish themselves in the system and learn their new role. This constant firing and signal sending causes increased motor stimulation and stimulation of the rest of the nervous system until the new neurons stabilize and integrate.

Normally, while the increased motor stimulation may be noticeable (he said he sees it in other neurodegenerative patients) it is not as uncomfortable as it has been for me. And that is obviously because the rest of my nervous system is still highly sensitive/damaged... So all of the firing from the new neurons was really exacerbating that sensitivity and aggravating my damaged nerves/ans/sns...

HENCE, my brain feeling amazing and my body feeling overwhelmed. It made perfect sense. At least, it described EXACTLY the way my brain and body felt...

If my brain (the area that was treated) felt messed up or felt the same anxiety that my body did, I wouldn't buy it and would think it was just making my benzo symptoms worse like everything else always does... But it didn't and it hasn't. Since month 3 my brain has felt awesome. I've genuinely been amazed by its newfound fortitude and stability. That said, while I haven't had that insane panic feeling in a few weeks now, my body symptoms do feel a bit exacerbated still... unsurprising of course, with how much it's been stimulated as of late.

Anyway... The scientist wasn't persuading me to get treated again or anything, but said he thinks what I'm experiencing is a clear sign of neurogenesis, and thus, a clear sign that stem cells can work for my damage. He said he thinks an intrathecal treatment, possibly with an IV as well, would help heal the rest of my nervous system, like it seemingly has helped the neurons in my brain...

I don't know if he's right... But his ability to seemingly delineate exactly the way my body was feeling before I even explained the depths of the scenario has gone a long way to convince me that he's really onto something. I mean, it sounds spot on. Scientifically, but also anecdotally, as it's exactly how I feel. I'm going to wait a few months to make sure this 'body anxiety' dies down, but if it does as he predicts it will......... mesenchymal stem cells, in my opinion, hold a lot of promise for us. And even though they've caused a lot of discomfort for me this round, I think I know exactly why. And I think it really adds up. I think if I were to treat my body/the rest of my nervous system and balance out this brain treatment... Well, maybe my body would feel just as good as my brain does.

The journey continues.

[ab...]

Wow please keep us updated on your adventures!

Are these special kind of stem cells?

I have saved stem cells from both my kids umbilical cords, I wonder if those could be used for treatment?

You are very brave to travel out of the country twice during a pandemic - amazing!!

Winnie

[ab...]

Seriously!?!

Wow, I wonder how I would go about getting it done here in Canada - not like I can travel to Mexico with my frozen umbilical cord blood!

I guess I'll keep paying to keep them in storage, and hope for the future!

Keep us updated if you choose to get the rest of your body done.

I am experiencing Dysautonomia/POTS symptoms so definitely I have a problem with my CNS, as the sympathetic nervous system is in overdrive!!

Winnie

It’s awesome to hear about your progress. Two questions:

1) do you have any brain symptoms left?

2) what’s your next step - are you going to do an additional round of IV cells?

...and how quickly I’m reminded why I stopped coming to this forum months ago. Thanks, Eric.

If anyone is interested in chatting about the science of mesenchymal stem cells, shoot me a PM! The negativity here is toxic.