Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Possible Help For Depression

[85...]

[85...]

I was so depressed that I was almost desperate. I tried something after several days of extensive research and I swear I felt better within a day.

I take:

1000 mcg of Biotin in the morning around 8am (commonly depleted in people on anti convulsant medication)

1200mg of Omega 3 fish oil 3 times a day (good all around especially for the brain)

250mg magnesium at bedtime (needed for proper nervous system functioning - gives a calming effect)

All the "Nature Made" brand. Found them at the super market.

These are all harmless supplements.

I'm not saying they will work for everyone but they are gentle and the amounts are not so high. But I felt significantly better sense I have added them. It may not hurt to give them a try if you're feeling depressed and just plain crappy.

Besides this I am eating these foods (they provide the body what it needs to make GABA naturally).

* Almonds, tree nuts

* Banana

* Broccoli

* Brown Rice

* Lentils

* Oats, whole grain

* Oranges, citrus fruits

* Rice bran

* Spinach

* Walnuts

* Whole wheat, whole grains.

One more thing. I also ride my bike every day. I live in Charlotte NC where the weather has been warm and sunny. Sorry for you folks up north...

I hope this gives some relief. These simple things have helped me. Please let me know if they help you. I hope they do.

May God our Creator and Healer bless all who read this...  Smiley

Thanks for the advice.  I take the 250 magnesium at night and flaxseed oil (omega 3) during the day - but I only take one 1000mg I believe.  But I take another essential fatty acid - evening primrose oil 1000 mg.  This is recommended for female hormone balance.  Just curious - what led you to take these particular supplements?  I was on .5 Ativan for just a few weeks too.  I'm 3 months out now and I'm feeling some depression as well.  Never really felt significant depression before and it is terrible.  Is this your first experience with depression?    Curious what your symptoms were when you cold turkeyed? 

[85...]
SweetPepper: I was just so depressed and felt I really needed something. I just did research. And these supps did help me quit noticeably almost right away. I KNOW its the Klonopin that makes me depressed because I never had depression like this before. So intense and nothing in my life to cause depression. When I cold turkey-ed I had no idea that I had to taper. So I went to the doctor and she just wrote me off as yet another nut job and diagnosed me with panic disorder after a five minute evaluation. She was yawning the whole time. maybe she was on Klonopin!!! If she had been the least bit more thorough she would have figured out it was withdrawal. I told her I had been on Ativan for several weeks. Anyway, my withdrawal symptoms: I was disoriented, confused, intense anxiety, and rapid heart beat. All of it freaked me out because it literally took me 2.5 months to figure out I had been going through withdrawal the whole time. The max I ever took was 1mg per day. I cut .25 symptom free and have been on .75 for a week now. I am going to cut another .125 on Friday....just the .25 cut has already improved my depression a good bit.  ;)

kxa

Ativan cause me to depress as well.  Some buddies depress after the taper, some during.  For me, it was more of a case of taking Ativan that caused the depression.  I've very sensitive to meds.  As soon as I was off the Ativan my depression started to lift.  I'm still not well yet, but much better.

Sorry you had to suffer so long before figuring out what was going on.  My symptoms were similar.  I wish the doctors would catch on already.  There is plenty of hard evidence and valid studies out there to  show them the dangers of benzos!  Take care and hope you feel better soon!

I would caution people on adding too many supplements at one time. They can rev up a person's symptoms. Fish oil, which is great while not in wd, has reved up quite a few people on this forum and others.

I like the list of foods you listed. All of them seem like healthy foods and i think that is key in withdrawal to get good nutrition.

Exercise seems to be key too.

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on this.

Btw..I am not anti-supplement..I have used magnesium in the past with good success. My point is if someone is going to add them, maybe adding them one at a time just in case something reved up symptoms. Adding them one at a time would help someone know what is causing the problem and help them eliminate it easier.

TC

• 4 weeks later...

Great list of foods Smiley. I would add sweet potato and cantaloupe to the list, both full of vitamins and antioxidants. I also take magnesium at night and fish oil as well :thumbsup:.  The blues won't last forever.  You're on your way :thumbsup:.

Best,

Vertigo