Great thing about BB

[Ju...]

Espy,

These neurologists are not speaking out.  They are speaking to my SIL, another doctor.  What they say to each other is quite different than what they say to a patient.  My SIL, an anesthesiologist, stopped including benzos in his pre-surgery cocktail after what happened to me and after hearing what his colleagues had to say about benzos.  Even though pre-surgery benzos, given just one time, aren’t likely to cause withdrawal, just the possibility that they might, made my SIL take pause.  Benzos pre-surgery are given to relax the patient.  Benzos do not put people to sleep.  So if my SIL can talk patients out of the pre-surgery benzo, reassuring them that he will put them gently to sleep in the OR without the need to relax them with a benzo before wheeling them in, I’m happy.

Sofa

I'm curious: What drug(s) do your SIL, an anesthesiologist, use during surgery to induce amnesia so the patient doesn't remember the cutting, sawing, suchering, etc.?

https://anesthesiology.pubs.asahq.org/article.aspx?articleid=1949000 

Espy,

These neurologists are not speaking out.  They are speaking to my SIL, another doctor.  What they say to each other is quite different than what they say to a patient.  My SIL, an anesthesiologist, stopped including benzos in his pre-surgery cocktail after what happened to me and after hearing what his colleagues had to say about benzos.  Even though pre-surgery benzos, given just one time, aren’t likely to cause withdrawal, just the possibility that they might, made my SIL take pause.  Benzos pre-surgery are given to relax the patient.  Benzos do not put people to sleep.  So if my SIL can talk patients out of the pre-surgery benzo, reassuring them that he will put them gently to sleep in the OR without the need to relax them with a benzo before wheeling them in, I’m happy.

Sofa

I'm curious: What drug(s) do your SIL, an anesthesiologist, use during surgery to induce amnesia so the patient doesn't remember the cutting, sawing, suchering, etc.?

Benzos are listed as an allergy on my electronic chart. Sadly, due to a bad shoulder and failed first surgery, I've had a total of 4 surgeries on the right side.  I have never been given a benzo for any of the procedures.  I have no recollection of the surgeries at all, I do know that they are given for their amnesia properties but apparently I have short term memory loss.  ;)

Actually, I'm very sensitive to meds so I'm out cold without large amounts of anesthesia.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Propofol is the most commonly used anesthetic in the US. Not a benzodiazepine:

What type of drug is Propofol?

Propofol is a short-acting, lipophilic intravenous general anesthetic. The drug is unrelated to any of the currently used barbiturate, opioid, benzodiazepine, arylcyclohexylamine, or imidazole intravenous anesthetic agents.

Pre-surgical benzodiazepines are commonly offered as an option to help with apprehension before procedures. My dentist used to hand them out readily. Don’t know if he still does, it was nice to be relaxed going in, but I don’t take the option anymore.

Espy,

Sofa

Benzos are listed as an allergy on my electronic chart. Sadly, due to a bad shoulder and failed first surgery, I've had a total of 4 surgeries on the right side.  I have never been given a benzo for any of the procedures.  I have no recollection of the surgeries at all, I do know that they are given for their amnesia properties but apparently I have short term memory loss.  ;)

Actually, I'm very sensitive to meds so I'm out cold without large amounts of anesthesia.

pianogirl  :smitten:

I am very happy that anesthesiologists are highly trained in the fields they practice. Having had several major surgeries I'm pleased to only remember a few instances in which I remember some of the excruciatingly painful procedures performed upon me to improve my overall quality of life. Here is an article that only touches upon the many types of anesthesias deemed beneficial and sometimes necessary for successful surgical procedures:

https://aegisanesthesiapartners.com/common-medications-used-anesthesia/ 

I know of members who did opt for versed prior to their procedures and did just fine. I didn't feel I needed it and I really didn't want it.

I tolerate propofol pretty well with no post surgical nausea.  Since a family member is in the medical field I know exactly what drugs I received.

Each person should make a decision that is best for them. 

PG

• 2 weeks later...

Espy,

I’m in the camp of people who don’t believe we are an anomaly at all.  My SIL is a doctor who works with many neurosurgeons and he has told them what has happened to me.  They all said to him this is completely normal for benzo withdrawal.  It takes years to resolve.  They said these drugs are dangerous and should have been pulled off the market years ago.  They told my SIL it is very rare if people discontinue these drugs without a scratch.  THOSE people are the anomalies.

Sofa

My experience as well, Sofa. I think the problem with supposed “ignorance” is with GP’s.  They prescribe all day and yet deflect when confronted. When I asked for help, my original taper doctor laughed in my face.  I mean she literally barked a laugh into my face while I sat at the end of the examination table.  She said, “It’s impossible, you have been on too long. You will be on them for life”.  At the time, I didn’t really understand what she meant. I thought she was trying to help me.

I think the great thing about BB’s is it’s ability to evolve.  It wasn’t that long ago that “prescriptive” advice, regarding tapers, was tolerated. And moderators encouraged newcomers with comments that were highly misleading for long term users:

“It’s only temporary”

“Acute withdrawal generally lasts 12 weeks”

“It’s doable”

“Just exercise and keep positive”

How has the dialogue changed?  Good question!  Just tonight I looked at many of the previous comments of mods that used terminology, in above spoken, and to my surprise their past comments have been modified! 

Keep up the good work!!!