taper of of 0.15 xanax

[pa...]

Challis, its been almost two weeks of hell and not getting any better all the same symptoms. Question if I decide to go back on the Xanax and start tapering again were should I start? I never took more then one half of 2.5 which is .015 I believe. please help Thanks Bob

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [pa...]

• [Ch...]

• [Pa...]

• [Os...]

Hi Bob,

So, the numbers would be .25mg and .125mg (half).  You jumped at .0625mg which is where I also jumped.  Looking back at your posts, you jumped around December 28th, right? So you’re still in the first month off, which is the acute period of withdrawal. No alcohol, right?

Challis

Challis I don't drink  and don't smoke I have a coffee in the morning cream and sugar but that's about it. I drink a lot of protein drinks and watch what I eat. 

OH not sleeping at all?? I jumped on the 28th of December and took a small .0165 on the 11th of January and nothing up until today, but boy this is bad I cant function for the life of me. I'm trying to hang in there

I’d drink decaf for now if you’re using caffeinated coffee.  Have you tried the chamomile tea for sleep? Insomnia is sooooo common at first.  Benzodiazepines are prescribed for sleep, so once we’re off it takes awhile for the body to recalibrate sleep patterns.  I played a wave recording and slept alone in a cool dark room to help restore sleep.

No problem, I was wondering if I was to go back on were should I start .125 of 0625 . I am going to try to hold off as long as I can. the weird thing is that in the morning is when I am at my worst as the day goes by it gets a little better and at night back to headaches and the rest. I go to bed at 7:30 PM and am up at 9:30 PM for the night. Don't know what to do at this point. Thanks Bob

Bob, I would urge you to try your best not to start Xanax again. It appears that a very low dose has caused a lot of problems for you, which would be a big red flag for starting up again (IMO) and then trying again to taper.  Multiple withdrawals can be increasingly symptomatic, unfortunately.

Morning seems to be the roughest for most people newly off benzodiazepines, so that is consistent with recovery.  Have you tried over-the-counter headache remedies?

Yes, I could only take Tylenol because I am on blood thinners. cant take anything else. Wondering if my age has anything to do with my symptoms being so bad at a small dose? ( I'm 82) I am going to try to hang in there as you suggest I just wish my Doctor never prescribed this to me, but I guess he was only thinking of making me feel better through my operations. I want to thank you very much for guiding me through this mess the good lord will reward you for all you kindness.  Thanks Bob 

Yes, I think our doctors do just want us to feel better quickly and they think this might be the answer. I’m sure it helps many people but then it backfires like this.

You’re welcome, Bob. I would so love to offer just the right advice to take away even a little bit of your misery, but that’s easier said than done. I know how frightening it is, having been through it myself. That’s why I’m still hanging around the forum trying to offer reassurance and comfort that this will get better, just give it more time.

As to age, there are very young people here who suffered greatly too.  Who knows... just keep telling yourself this is temporary and do what you can t0 distract yourself from the symptoms.

• 3 weeks later...
Challis, its now been 30 days off of the Xanax ,still have many symptoms especially Gastro problems lots of gas  and belching, gastro doctor said there is nothing wrong with me , he thinks it is anxiety which I have a lot of, my question is how long do the symptoms last and did you have belching and gastro problems also. other symptoms are, ringing in ears, dry mouth, dizzy some times, un coordinated some times, sleeping only three to four hours a night. Thanks Bob

Congratulations on being benzo free, that's terrific!  It would be nice if that meant symptom free, wouldn't it? I can see you've got a lot of typical symptoms, all of which should lessen and fade as you heal.  I wish we could tell you a timeline for when that is, but it's different for everyone. 

It sounds like you're experiencing benzo belly, I'm sorry to hear you're miserable.  This is what Professor Ashton had to say about digestive issues.

Digestive problems. Some people have no problems at all with their digestive systems during or after withdrawal, and may even notice that they are enjoying their food more. Others, perhaps more prone constitutionally, may complain of a range of symptoms associated with "irritable bowel syndrome" (IBS). These can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal pain, flatulence, gaseous distension and heartburn. Quite a few have found these symptoms so uncomfortable that they have undergone hospital gastrointestinal investigations, but usually no abnormality is found. The symptoms may be partly due to overactivity in the autonomic nervous system, which controls the motility and secretions of the gut and is very reactive to stress, including the stress of benzodiazepine withdrawal. In addition, there are benzodiazepine receptors in the gut. It is not clear what the functions of these receptors are or how they are affected by benzodiazepines or benzodiazepine withdrawal, but alterations in these receptors may play some part in increasing gut irritability.

Considerable loss of weight (8-10lb or more) sometimes occurs in withdrawal. This may be due to a rebound effect on appetite, since benzodiazepines have been shown to increase appetite in animals. On the other hand, some people gain weight in withdrawal. In any case, weight changes are not severe enough to worry about and normal weight is soon regained after withdrawal. A few people have difficulty in swallowing food - the throat seems to tighten up especially if eating in company. This is usually a sign of anxiety and is well-known in anxiety states. Practising relaxation, eating alone, taking small well chewed mouthfuls with sips of liquid and not hurrying make things easier and the symptom settles as anxiety levels decline.

Yes, yes and yes...everything you’ve described are common to early recovery. Gas and other anti-social digestive issues are rampant for awhile and very common. They’ll go away, give it more time for your nervous system to settle down.

Sleep, dizziness/light-headedness are common too.  I had all of those for awhile and they all went away. I wasn’t sleeping 3-4 hours at a month off, so you’re doing better than I did at this stage.

Glad you’re getting things that worry you checked out by your doctor. I don’t agree that the digestive stuff is anxiety, I think it’s just your body trying to adjust to no benzodiazepine. It will.

Treat the symptoms, they will start dropping off with more time.  Everything you’ve described is par for the course.  Not to minimize your discomfort, just know it’s normal.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still in two. There is no rhyme or reason to my waves and windows. I'm still waiting for a good day to come along, if not one day its stomach cramps, and follow up the next day with unsteadiness and head aches, gastric problems, and the worst of all no sleep, I go to bead at night at about 7:00PM wake up at 9:30 sometime 10:30 and up for the rest of the night. I sure hope this gets better, saw my doctor last week for a nodular stress test , all was good no restrictions, both Heart doctor and primary doctor cant believe I am still in withdrawals from Xanax . OH well I guess its because he prescribed it to me. Any help on what I could take for sleep and anxiety

Thanks Bob   

Hi Bob,

Technically you’re not in withdrawal, what you’re experiencing is due to the changes Xanax did to your nervous system. Many doctors don’t fully understand what benzodiazepines do physically to many people, unfortunately.

So this is all normal for the healing process, really you’re doing okay and these symptoms will settle down with time.  Avoid alcohol for now, that will make things worse, most likely. Otherwise just treat the symptoms.  The doc has cleared you of any other health issues, that’s good, and typical for most of us who feel horrible but really aren’t sick, we just feel like it.

I’m going to post something else to read in the next post.  Something I found helpful when I was where you are now.

Challis

Coping with Benzo withdrawal:  Coping with Benzo Withdrawal

Recovery Tips [nobbc]http://www.psychmedaware.org/recovery_tips.html[/nobbc]

1. Recovery from being an accidental addict to benzodiazepines is serious business. It takes time for the central nervous system to heal and for neurotransmitters to stop being sensitive. None of us had the faintest idea that this kind of situation lay in front of us. So we are dealing with shock at what has happened as well as the real physical and mental/emotional symptoms of withdrawal.

2. Recovery is not linear, as it is with other illnesses or injuries. If we cut our hands, we can actually see the cut heal and the pain diminish over time. In benzo withdrawal we can be well one day and very sick the next. This is normal and we have to look at our healing differently.

3. Recovery is an individual thing, and it is difficult to predict how quickly symptoms will stop for good. People expect to be completely better after a certain period of time, and often get discouraged and depressed when they feel this time has passed and they are not completely better. Most patient support programs tell clients to anticipate 6 months to a year for recovery after a taper has ended. But some people feel better a few months after they stop taking benzos; for others it takes more than a year to feel completely better. Try not to be obsessed with how long it will take, because every day you stay off benzos, your body is healing at its own rate. If you do not follow this particular schedule, it does not mean there is something wrong or you are not healing. Even if you are feeling ill in some respects, other symptoms may disappear. Even people in difficult tapers see improvements in symptoms very early on. So don’t let these time-frames scare you. The way you feel at one month will not be how you will be feeling at three months or at six months.

4. It is very typical to have setbacks at different points of time (these times can vary). These setbacks can be so intense that people feel their healing hasn’t happened at all; they feel they have been taken right back to beginning. Setbacks, if they occur, are a normal part of recovery.

5. When people are in recovery, they have a lot of fears. One is that they will never get better. Another is that their symptoms are really what they are like — perhaps what they have always been like. Both of these fears are stimulated by benzo withdrawal. In other words they are the thought components of benzo withdrawal, just as insomnia is a physical component.

6. There is no way around benzo withdrawal and recovery—you have to go through it. People try all sorts of measures to try to make the pain stop, but nothing can shortcut the process. Our body and brain have their own agenda for healing, and it will take place if you simply accept it.

7. When you are having a bad spell, healing is still going on. People typically find that after a bad spell, symptoms improve and often go away forever. Try to remember this when times are hard.

8. There is no magic cure to recovery, but you can help yourself by comforting and reassuring yourself as much as possible. Read reassuring information, stay away from stress, ask your partner, family and others for reassurance, and go back to the things you did at the beginning if you are experiencing really tough symptoms.

9. When we start to feel better, it is very typical to try to do too much. We are grateful to be alive and we have energy for the first time in weeks or months. But this can be a dangerous time. When we do to much and take on too much too early, it re-sensitizes the nervous system. It doesn’t prevent healing in the long term, but it can make us feel discouraged. So try to pace yourself, even if you are feeling good.

10. You do need to respect your body during recovery, although you don’t need to make drastic changes to your lifestyle. Exercise, in any form is critical—even if you can only walk around the house or to the end of the block. Eating well and avoiding all stimulants is crucial. Regular high-protein snacks can help with the shakes and the feelings of weakness we have during withdrawal and recovery.

11. Recovery is all about acceptance, but this does not mean passive acceptance. Set small goals for yourself that are achievable. Try to keep exercise happening. Work at your recovery even if that means accepting you are sick—for now. You wouldn’t be hard on yourself if you were in a traffic accident and had injuries; you would work at rehab. Try to take the same attitude and approach to benzodiazepine withdrawal.

Thanks again Challis, your posts gives me hope to Carry on, I just hope it will end soon . Thanks  again.

• 1 month later...

Challis, how long did it take you to get free from all the symptom's from your experience after you stopped taking jumped as you say?? I am 90 days from my last pill and I am still feeling multiple symptoms, aches and pains, chest pains, went to the ER said not my heart go home, Gas pains, belching and so on . Maybe you could give me some idea. I know its a hard question to answer.

I am 90 days since my last pill and hanging in there.

Thanks Bob 

All the symptoms? A very long time...you don’t want to know.  :laugh:  I was on-and-off sleeping pills for 25 years and then on Xanax daily for 8 or so years, so you’ll do way better than I did, I’m sure.

I’ll be 8 years off in two more days and have been symptom-free for a few years now.

More importantly, can you look back over the 90 days and see changes for the better?

You have a good attitude, sometimes the changes are imperceptible, but keep looking for signs of healing.