DLMT vs. Dry cut daily microtaper

[Th...]

and each split portion has not less than 75% and not more than 125% of the expected weight of the split tablet portion.

...an allowable 50% variation! 

Again. scored tablets do NOT assure uniform distribution.

As above... -Apples n Oranges...

Arent we talking hand split tablet weight, not med distribution within said tablet..??

1)  The referenced procedure is the US Pharmacopia inspection standard for the the weight of the the "halves" of a scored tablet, under laboratory procedures.

2) And is only a weight standard.  It does NOT reference uniformity of content.

A "split tablet" does NOT assure uniform distribution of ingredients.

Wow- 25% is a big difference for sensitive people splitting pills. Even more than the 10% from pill to pill. Good to know thanks!

I think that related to how evenly a tablet splits by hand... -Using a scale would make the “25%” a moot point...

-I think..??

:)

Hmmm- good point. Yes, I suppose the weight of each split half could be made more equal if using a scale- that does sound quite tedious and difficult though- so one would split the tablet and then cut tiny crumbs off the heavier half and add those to the lighter half until equal by scale. So then the weights would be equal. But this doesn’t mean the active ingredient would be equal in both halves.

And it’s still crazy that they allow a 50% variation when splitting pills - not just these pills but any pills. Ppl split pills all the time- I’m pretty sure neither patients nor doctors know they could be getting up to a 50% fluctuation in dose.

Greek- so you are currently taking some full pills and some partial pills. I think the DMLT would work the same with partial pills as it would for full pills. You could still DLMT the partial pills. Would be more accurate than continuing to split those little pieces further. ESP if it is not even distribution of active ingredient- then the DLMT is way more accurate.

and each split portion has not less than 75% and not more than 125% of the expected weight of the split tablet portion.

...an allowable 50% variation! 

Again. scored tablets do NOT assure uniform distribution.

As above... -Apples n Oranges...

Arent we talking hand split tablet weight, not med distribution within said tablet..??

1)  The referenced procedure is the US Pharmacopia inspection standard for the the weight of the the "halves" of a scored tablet, under laboratory procedures.

2) And is only a weight standard.  It does NOT reference uniformity of content.

A "split tablet" does NOT assure uniform distribution of ingredients.

No, your right, -a split tablet does not assure... But I was assuming a scored tablet would be similar or possibly better(??) in uniformity compared to an un-scored tablet...  (even if it is only 10 more spins in the mixer, so to speak..)

Just wanted to be sure where, or what this (possible) “50%” variation is attributed to.. 

Wow- 25% is a big difference for sensitive people splitting pills. Even more than the 10% from pill to pill. Good to know thanks!

I think that related to how evenly a tablet splits by hand... -Using a scale would make the “25%” a moot point...

-I think..??

:)

Hmmm- good point. Yes, I suppose the weight of each split half could be made more equal if using a scale- that does sound quite tedious and difficult though- so one would split the tablet and then cut tiny crumbs off the heavier half and add those to the lighter half until equal by scale. So then the weights would be equal. But this doesn’t mean the active ingredient would be equal in both halves.

And it’s still crazy that they allow a 50% variation when splitting pills - not just these pills but any pills. Ppl split pills all the time- I’m pretty sure neither patients nor doctors know they could be getting up to a 50% fluctuation in dose.

Greek- so you are currently taking some full pills and some partial pills. I think the DMLT would work the same with partial pills as it would for full pills. You could still DLMT the partial pills. Would be more accurate than continuing to split those little pieces further. ESP if it is not even distribution of active ingredient- then the DLMT is way more accurate.

Still the problem remains of getting an initial proper weight of the crumb and .5 no?

You weigh a bunch of pills and take the average.  For partial pills just calculate accordingly. Like 0.125 mg K will be one fourth of the weight of the 0.5mg K pill.

Either way DLMT is convenient when using whole tablets but in my case right now I need to first get rid of this left over crumb from .125 mg k and half a .5 mg which I cut down the middle. I guess when I get both those 2 variables out of the picture I can resume with a DLMT for my final .5 tablet. Does that sound like a good plan? Any other suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

I like this plan Greek.  DLMT is a good way to go.

Folks, just think about this...

Asuume you have a 1mg (dose) tablet, and it actually weighs 150mg.  That means the actual drug content is about .67% of the the total tablet.

And you want to reduce, maybe, 1% per day.  So 1% of the tablet is 1.5mg by weight.  Do you really think every 1.5mgs of that tablet will contain exactly .007mgs of benzo?  (HINT:  The answer is NO)

Now, I say over and over, a microtaper is NOT about making precise reductions, its about making gradual reductions.  Most folks do just fine with a dry/scale taper, but there will be significant day-to-day variations in both the actual dosage, and the daily dose changes.

Depending on how you do the dry taper, there may NOT be significant day to day fluctuations. I did a dry daily taper that was accurate without day to day fluctuations.

Asuume you have a 1mg (dose) tablet, and it actually weighs 150mg.  That means the actual drug content is about .67% of the the total tablet.

And you want to reduce, maybe, 1% per day.  So 1% of the tablet is 1.5mg by weight.  Do you really think every 1.5mgs of that tablet will contain exactly .007mgs of benzo?  (HINT:  The answer is NO)

Now, I say over and over, a microtaper is NOT about making precise reductions, its about making gradual reductions.  Most folks do just fine with a dry/scale taper, but there will be significant day-to-day variations in both the actual dosage, and the daily dose changes.

I have done every method, and dry micro tapering with a scale is BY FAR the most tolerable and most accurate way of tapering there is, IMO.

You can say what u want about it not being evenly distributed. I know for a fact it is bc of how sensitive I am to literally every single thing. To say that using water, alcohol, milk, etc is accurate is comical. Please. The inaccuracy with using syringes, jars, shaking, things sticking to the inside of the syringes, sticking to jars, metabolizing the liquid faster, bubbles. I could go on and on about my experience with every liquid taper option that I’ve experienced and how unnecessary and in accurate they are.

The way the tablets are made is they are made in a batch just like when you make a batch of cookies. They are mixed with machines over and over and over and over again so thoroughly that it is as accurate as we are going to get in this.

Dry micro tapering should be the new standard in tapering off benzos.

I have done every method, and dry micro tapering with a scale is BY FAR the most tolerable and most accurate way of tapering there is, IMO.

You can say what u want about it not being evenly distributed. I know for a fact it is bc of how sensitive I am to literally every single thing. To say that using water, alcohol, milk, etc is accurate is comical. Please. The inaccuracy with using syringes, jars, shaking, things sticking to the inside of the syringes, sticking to jars, metabolizing the liquid faster, bubbles. I could go on and on about my experience with every liquid taper option that I’ve experienced and how unnecessary and in accurate they are.

The way the tablets are made is they are made in a batch just like when you make a batch of cookies. They are mixed with machines over and over and over and over again so thoroughly that it is as accurate as we are going to get in this.

Dry micro tapering should be the new standard in tapering off benzos.

Glad dry tapering works for you,  but it killed me. Scales vary, no matter how nice the scale. I had a $400 Old Wilt Knotts scale...I would spend hours weighing and it still varied enough to make me ill. I calibrated the heck out of that scale. Still not accurate, still varied and made me sick. In my experience, liquid taper using proper solution is the most accurate. The solvent distributes the med into the water evenly so once it's made, each ml has the same concentration of Benzo active ingredient. It doesn't vary. Using a proper solvent you don't have to rely on shaking after you first mix it. You do rinse jar and drink rinse water after taking dose. I can mix up a week's worth in a few minutes and then I don't spend much time on my taper. Very convenient.  This is why there are taper options and something that works for one doesn't work for another. I would never be succeeding in taper without liquid solution.

Glad liquid for you.

But just to clear up the misinformation... no, not all scales vary. A scale that reads to 0.0001 has the accuracy needed for a sensitive taperer.

Glad liquid for you.

But just to clear up the misinformation... no, not all scales vary. A scale that reads to 0.0001 has the accuracy needed for a sensitive taperer.

And what scale is that? Mine was a high intensity gram scale. I bought an $85 calibration weight (to add on to my $400 scale) . It didn't go to .0001, but to .001, but it still varied, despite leveling it and calibrating it and keeping it in the same place. The CALIBRATION WEIGHT weight varied, which shouldn't even be possible. I have no idea how it happened, but it did. I tried it for a month and had to hold a lot for that month before giving up and going back to liquid. Thank goodness I did go back full liquid because that made things improve to where I felt better and went back to tapering. Just like liquid isn't for everyone, neither is dry taper.

That’s the problem with Klonopin. Because it is a more potent pill I need the third decimal place to be accurate.

If you want the third decimal place to be accurate, then you need a scale with 4 decimal places. Look around at prices. I used a scale with 4 decimal places and it was 100% worth it for me.

Agree that a score on a tablet doesn’t mean anything abt the contents being evenly distributed.

Libertas, do you remember the scale you used?  I want to order a new scale.  And when you say it had 4 decimal points, did you mean 0.0000?

I too cannot metabolize the liquid and find dry cutting easier on my system. I think whatever works best for your body is the way to go. 

Hello, Final Healing.  Did you perchance intend to direct your scale question to member libr?  Regrettably, I do not have experience with using scales for tapering.  Libertas

That’s the problem with Klonopin. Because it is a more potent pill I need the third decimal place to be accurate.

If you want the third decimal place to be accurate, then you need a scale with 4 decimal places. Look around at prices. I used a scale with 4 decimal places and it was 100% worth it for me.

Agree that a score on a tablet doesn’t mean anything abt the contents being evenly distributed.

Libertas, do you remember the scale you used?  I want to order a new scale.  And when you say it had 4 decimal points, did you mean 0.0000?

I too cannot metabolize the liquid and find dry cutting easier on my system. I think whatever works best for your body is the way to go.

You do not need the .0001g scales. They’re not worth the extra money.

My father is a scientist and he told me they’re just as accurate as the .001g

This is the scale I’ve used and many others. It’s then best one, IMO.

American Weigh Scale Gemini Series Precision Digital Milligram Scale, Silver 20G X 0.001G (GEMINI-20) (Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012TDNAM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BkCSDb1VGMTNA

Hello, Final Healing.  Did you perchance intend to direct your scale question to member libr?  Regrettably, I do not have experience with using scales for tapering.  Libertas

Yes I did, sorry. 

You do not need the .0001g scales. They’re not worth the extra money.

My father is a scientist and he told me they’re just as accurate as the .001g

This is the scale I’ve used and many others. It’s then best one, IMO.

American Weigh Scale Gemini Series Precision Digital Milligram Scale, Silver 20G X 0.001G (GEMINI-20) (Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012TDNAM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BkCSDb1VGMTNA

Thanks, that's the one I have been using.  Just was going to order a back up one to have on hand and got intrigued by the possibility of a more accurate one. 

I've been dry cutting my way down and will probably do that till I'm off.

Yes I did, sorry.

It’s on page 2 of this thread.

No apology needed, Final Healing.  Libertas and libr are quite similar.

Thanks again, libr for the digital scale info.  Given that we have new members who might not have mastered the fine art of navigating “pages” in BB (it took me a ridiculously long time to figure this out) ... here’s the info libr so kindly shared:

“Sartorius Entris - it is several yrs old now. They may have newer models.  Basically, it reads to 0.0001g.”

No apology needed, Final Healing.  Libertas and libr are quite similar.

Thanks again, libr for the digital scale info.  Given that we have new members who might not have mastered the fine art of navigating “pages” in BB (it took me a ridiculously long time to figure this out) ... here’s the info libr so kindly shared:

“Sartorius Entris - it is several yrs old now. They may have newer models.  Basically, it reads to 0.0001g.”

Thank you.