Has this community ever considered Crowd Funding a Lawsuit?

[re...]

what about going up against the regulatory whatevers that allow the drug manufacturers to keep selling their wares to physicians who prescribe them longer than reccomended on the patient inserts? or the insurance companies who keep paying for the prescriptions and prescribers office visits who prescribe them longer than reccomended on the patient inserts? or the FDA? too big to fail?  these bullies and also these institutions who keep funding this are just ignoring the damage done while making that cha-ching.

sue the people/groups/regulatory groups whatever that are allowing this to happen and suporting it /endorsing it by continuing to pay for it.

anybody ever sued the FDA? maybe not, aybe they're too scared to face down a group that big, or an insurance company/ies, same reason. one lawyer against a team of experienced lawyers. but it has to start somewhere.

i still think suing one prescriber like the OP said in a clean cut n dried case, not a polydrugging case like mine, but a one benzo case for less than 2-4 weeks with long term iatrogenic injury, will set the precedent for more cases. like getting up and the judge says present your case and then you say "kramer vs kramer" or whatever and hand over the records and then refer to the case that was won prior to this and boom. maybe i'm ignorant? maybe i'm just a salt of the earth peasant who's had enough and wants to rise up with the rebellion against the tyrants who have outgrown their kingdom. i'm tired of being a serf with no rights.

what about going up against the regulatory whatevers that allow the drug manufacturers to keep selling their wares to physicians who prescribe them longer than reccomended on the patient inserts? or the insurance companies who keep paying for the prescriptions and prescribers office visits who prescribe them longer than reccomended on the patient inserts? or the FDA? too big to fail?  these bullies and also these institutions who keep funding this are just ignoring the damage done while making that cha-ching.

sue the people/groups/regulatory groups whatever that are allowing this to happen and suporting it /endorsing it by continuing to pay for it.

anybody ever sued the FDA? maybe not, aybe they're too scared to face down a group that big, or an insurance company/ies, same reason. one lawyer against a team of experienced lawyers. but it has to start somewhere.

i still think suing one prescriber like the OP said in a clean cut n dried case, not a polydrugging case like mine, but a one benzo case for less than 2-4 weeks with long term iatrogenic injury, will set the precedent for more cases. like getting up and the judge says present your case and then you say "kramer vs kramer" or whatever and hand over the records and then refer to the case that was won prior to this and boom. maybe i'm ignorant? maybe i'm just a salt of the earth peasant who's had enough and wants to rise up with the rebellion against the tyrants who have outgrown their kingdom. i'm tired of being a serf with no rights.

I think suing regulatory agencies is a tremendous uphill battle. You would have to show so much - that they knew of the dangers and failed to regulate. I think the best shot at this would be a straight up med mal case against a doctor who prescribed the med for longer than 4 weeks, which is plainly contrary to the manufacturer’s recommendation. Precedent would not be set if that hypothetical case is won. Just because you win a med mal case in say, Alabama, doesn’t mean you can automatically win a med mal case in Tennessee. Different plaintiffs, different defendants, different med mal rules, different circumstances. Now, if there’s a big suit, or a bunch of suits in federal court against the manufacturer, those cases will most likely be consolidated into a class action. If successful, then states can sue the manufacturer, etc, like we’ve seen in other cases.

THey know we don’t have the ability while injured, and once were healed most people turn their backs in this and what ever statue of limitation on suing has run out. But I’m

All for someone with money and strength trying. I don’t know how you forget about a machinery of evil this grotesque and enormous once you get better. But I’d like to find out!

I'm not sure where this would go on this site so I put it here, but has anyone considered crowd funding a Lawsuit with this huge community to set a precedent? If you watched the Lisa Ling special you say her cal the Lawyer and it was about money. One person using their resources cannot do this but as a community this can be done. Next you need someone who is familiar with a lawsuit and how it works and the way the doctors and big pharma will fight back. The expert witness are there with Br Peter Briggin and Dr Wright. What level of support would one of have here financially if we set up a crowd funding page for one of us and got the ball rolling there? It would take about $75,000 to $100,000 to get this rolling an any good firm would take these case on medical malfeasance and malpractice for those of us who have been severely injured by our prescribers and those doctors who have c/t us or rapid tapered us and demolished our lives. This could be coordinated thru BIC?

Did you do a search of the forum for terms like "lawsuit"? A number of pages of results, but I didn't look through them all...  :o

I think we are all just angry, annoyed, scared and feeling pretty hopeless and discarded by life and that while doing a search may make logical sense it doesn't necessarily make emotional sense to the one who feels like asking the same questions that have been asked.

I think the same questions will continue to be asked over and over and over again, no matter how many times they've been asked before because what has happened to us is not right and should never happen to anyone, ever, and we all know that this is true no matter how "ok" any of us act about it. This would include the staff/mods and Colin, the people who were involved in making "The Benzo Crisis," every person we've ever told our stories to in "real life," everyone--even the people who know and continue to prescribe these medications but say there are still uses for them. No, there is practically no use for these drugs, with the very real potential they have to completely and utterly destroy lives.

I can't imagine what happens in the afterlife to people who knowingly continue in the industries that promote these dangerous drugs called benzodiazepines. There are plenty of people who suffer from taking them within the prescribed guidelines of four weeks for even years on end, and there are plenty of us here now who are disabled for years because of these drugs. The darkest realities of what they are capable of are affecting lives, they are real and not made up and it is time for these truths to be fully acknowledged.

• 4 weeks later...

Big Pharma is guilty of fraud and conspiracy to commit fraud. Studies were done and ghost writers were paid to hide the true results, money was paid to "others" to assist in their fraud, marketing was done to change the attitudes toward taking a pill for life when in fact they knew it to be dangerous. Doctors were paid to push these drugs, many either did not study or care enough to review disturbing findings.

Benzos have been around since the 1950's. One can not tell me the dangers of these drugs were not known! Its criminal what has occurred and it is past time for people to be held accountable from the prescribing dr to drug companies....but will never happen. Too much money is involved and paid to the politicians. We must take this fight through the courts but lawsuits take lots of money, lots of it...

Big Pharma is guilty of fraud and conspiracy to commit fraud. Studies were done and ghost writers were paid to hide the true results, money was paid to "others" to assist in their fraud, marketing was done to change the attitudes toward taking a pill for life when in fact they knew it to be dangerous. Doctors were paid to push these drugs, many either did not study or care enough to review disturbing findings.

Benzos have been around since the 1950's. One can not tell me the dangers of these drugs were not known! Its criminal what has occurred and it is past time for people to be held accountable from the prescribing dr to drug companies....but will never happen. Too much money is involved and paid to the politicians. We must take this fight through the courts but lawsuits take lots of money, lots of it...

:thumbsup: agreed. well put.

• 2 weeks later...

not sure how to proceed.

As one said above it only takes one lawyer or practice and off to the races. How does the BB group sign on to a class action? One thought is someone start a sight where we can all sign up just to show our numbers, then we find a LEGAL FIRM that will start the case. This is where we would all need to pony up some $$. I am in for some dollars. I have 5k to put forward.

Need a web site or something where we can sigh up with the NUMBER of benzo buddies putting their name out there.

where is one of the programmers wiz kids on the web stuff....build us a web page where we can log in...with our true names...

J Stone

not sure how to proceed.

As one said above it only takes one lawyer or practice and off to the races. How does the BB group sign on to a class action? One thought is someone start a sight where we can all sign up just to show our numbers, then we find a LEGAL FIRM that will start the case. This is where we would all need to pony up some $$. I am in for some dollars. I have 5k to put forward.

Need a web site or something where we can sigh up with the NUMBER of benzo buddies putting their name out there.

where is one of the programmers wiz kids on the web stuff....build us a web page where we can log in...with our true names...

J Stone

Hello J Stone,

BB would never participate in a class action lawsuit or support one with the use of the forum's name.  Our mission is simple, to support and encourage people who wish to taper off benzodiazepines.

We are also non judgmental and support those who, for whatever reason, choose to stay on benzos. 

We are also very dedicated to protecting the privacy of our members. To that end we want people to remain anonymous and not share personal information with others. Often in withdrawal reactions are intense and reaching out to someone off the forum might seem like a good idea at the time. This is proved to be a regretted action by many people who realized that they did not want their personal information shared after all. Once done, it can't be undone.

I admire you for being proactive about dealing with the damage done to those who through no fault of their own find themselves dependent on a drug.  We just can't allow promotion of it here.

pianogirl

• 2 weeks later...
I wish there was a way to hold my doctor accountable. She is an over precriber and has constantly pushed more benzos, more SSRI's and more Z drugs on me. When I ask her reduce my dose or talk about wanting to get off them she is always condescending. Her answer to every problem is more meds. She is a general practitioner and knows nothing about any psych meds yet prescribes them freely. Luckily I work in addictions/mental health and am informed, but im terrified for her other patients. 

Sometimes a lawfirm will support a class action suit and not charge anyone until the suit is over (then keep 20-30% of the winnings).

If someone could find a lawyer willing to do this and then give us their contact info....