Food : Can we heal just eating normal?

[va...]

When we eat things that are not good in benzo withdrawal, do we "only" have more symptoms or are we preventing healing in any way like for instance, are these foods preventing the gaba receptors from upregulating? Of course I don't mean alcohol, I mean an ounce of chocolate, paella, which has artificial color (I didn't realize until I already ate it).

I though the color in paella came from safron?

Chocolate never bothered me during withdrawal or recovery.  While some people might be ultra sensitive to foods during withdrawal, I think a balanced diet is fine for most. 

pianogirl

Hi piano girl.

In the good old days, the color of paella came from safron. Nowadays some paellas will only have safron but most have little to no safron and an artificial color. Safron is expensive and we bought the paella in a not very expensive takeaway so it wouldn't only have safron. Most of us here cook paella with a product called "paellero carmencita" which has a tiny bit of safron, other spices, and artificial coloring.

Nomore, are you a Cat Lady too? I sure am. My cat Jackie Bear is sort of well known here on BB. I don't know how to post photos yet, but I always mention him. Such a wonderful, loving cat who wakes me every morning by butting his big head against mine, purring loudly. He then nestles down on my pillow and often pats my face with one big paw. He just relaxes then, because he feels SO safe and cared for. He was abandoned at less than one year old. He found his way into a new neighbors back yard. She fed him for a year and got him neutered. When I met her, I met him. This big, bold  lovely black and gray tabby who came up to me right away and let me pet him. The neighbor had her mouth hanging open. "He is scared of everyone but me" , she said. Huh! Wasn't scared of Little Me. Three days later I decided to adopt him. I have never once regretted it. Jackie Bear is the most loving, adorable cat of my 69 years on Earth.

east

East, both my cats died this summer. This is by far the worst summer of my life. Crashed into acute wd and my kitties died. Gnight. Going to bed.

When we eat things that are not good in benzo withdrawal, do we "only" have more symptoms or are we preventing healing in any way like for instance, are these foods preventing the gaba receptors from upregulating? Of course I don't mean alcohol, I mean an ounce of chocolate, paella, which has artificial color (I didn't realize until I already ate it).

Chocolate never bothered me during withdrawal or recovery.  While some people might be ultra sensitive to foods during withdrawal, I think a balanced diet is fine for most. 

pianogirl

Hi piano girl.

In the good old days, the color of paella came from safron. Nowadays some paellas will only have safron but most have little to no safron and an artificial color. Safron is expensive and we bought the paella in a not very expensive takeaway so it wouldn't only have safron. Most of us here cook paella with a product called "paellero carmencita" which has a tiny bit of safron, other spices, and artificial coloring.

I did not know this. I do know that saffron is very expensive but it only takes a little to impart the subtle flavor and color.  I guess most companies try to cut corners to cut costs, everywhere.

pianogirl

Hi piano girl.

I did not know this. I do know that saffron is very expensive but it only takes a little to impart the subtle flavor and color.  I guess most companies try to cut corners to cut costs, everywhere.

Yup, that's it I guess.

Does anyone know if these foods that ramp up our symptoms, also prevent the receptors from upregulating?

What I mean is : do these foods just make our symptoms worse or do they also prevent healing? Because if the latter is true, I'd consider the keto diet.

pianogirl

Hi piano girl.

Yup, that's it I guess.

Does anyone know if these foods that ramp up our symptoms, also prevent the receptors from upregulating?

What I mean is : do these foods just make our symptoms worse or do they also prevent healing? Because if the latter is true, I'd consider the keto diet.

You have to do what is right for you, everyone will be different. I didn't change my diet, I just tried to eat cleaner.  Luckily I have no food allergies or issues with food.

I did have stomach problems while in tolerance, but I didn't know I was in tolerance.  At that point in my benzo 'experience' I really hadn't heard the word 'benzo' before. I had a lot of medical tests, one of them pretty invasive, but everything showed up normal.

pianogirl

Piano girl I just looked it up. Price of Spanish safron, between 8 and 10 euros for one gram!

Yes, saffron is very pricey.  I luckily was given some from a friends of my son's which I use sparingly.

my friend in the netherlands is a chemist and he is taking saffron for depression. he tells me great things about the results. he heard about it through some studies, i am not sure which ones. he takes capsules of saffron by a company that satandardizes the amount of extract in each capsule.

• Popular Now