seroquel for insomnia

[Ph...]

has anyone tried seroquel for insomnia?  Im 7 months off valium, after taking for 10 years and getting 1-2 days a week or zero sleep at all.  Antihistamines aren't cutting it.  i can't seem to turn my brain off at night.  any suggestions ???

Seroquel causes brain atrophy and dependence, so I would avoid that.

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/antipsychotics-and-shrinking-brain

"Taken together, these studies suggest that antipsychotics may contribute to early gray matter loss and, later in the course of treatment, to white matter loss. These effects may be dose-related and probably are not prevented by the use of second-generation agents. This argues for minimizing antipsychotic exposure both acutely and long-term. However, we are left with the additional dilemma that a longer duration of untreated psychosis (DUP) may also be neurotoxic. Longer DUP has been associated with poorer symptomatic and functional outcomes7 as well as brain volume loss.8 Studies of DUP have their own methodological limitations and controversies, but they should serve to warn us that the rapid control of psychosis may also be important."

I would use nothing, if possible. Insomnia won't kill you, but some of these drugs will.

I would avoid Seroquel or any other atypical. They are harsh, make you fat and are hard to come off of. Remeron induces sleep similarly but is easier to come off of and many member here have had good success with it, including me. A low dose is most sleep inducing, 7.5mgs or 15. You WILL have a hangover when starting but that goes away. It may help mood a bit. It will give you munchies bigtime. You will be at risk of getting fat, but most people with bad insomnia have lost weight, so that might be not such a bad problem. Best of luck!!!

I have loads of bookmarked studies on the dangers of Seroquel. Nasty drug that has not been approved as a sleep aid.

I would be cautious with Remeron, also. A significant number of buddies have had bad experiences with it -- there's a support thread on that.

You're very early in w/d. I know it's rough, but insomnia is very normal at 7 months out. Hang in there. You've come this far -- why interfere with the healing process by causing what could be another serious problem down the line?

I have loads of bookmarked studies on the dangers of Seroquel. Nasty drug that has not been approved as a sleep aid.

I would be cautious with Remeron, also. A significant number of buddies have had bad experiences with it -- there's a support thread on that.

You're very early in w/d. I know it's rough, but insomnia is very normal at 7 months out. Hang in there. You've come this far -- why interfere with the healing process by causing what could be another serious problem down the line?

Remeron would NOT hurt the healing process. Sleep helps healing.

Not long after reinstatement from my C/T withdrawal, I started on a low dose of Remeron of 3.75mg. It really helped with my sleep which I needed so badly. I stayed on it for about 2 years and had no problem getting off. May end up using again once I get down in K dose. Sleep is key in healing of brain and body. That is the only thing I would use. I have no experience with other drugs.

Seroquel causes brain atrophy and dependence, so I would avoid that.

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/antipsychotics-and-shrinking-brain

"Taken together, these studies suggest that antipsychotics may contribute to early gray matter loss and, later in the course of treatment, to white matter loss. These effects may be dose-related and probably are not prevented by the use of second-generation agents. This argues for minimizing antipsychotic exposure both acutely and long-term. However, we are left with the additional dilemma that a longer duration of untreated psychosis (DUP) may also be neurotoxic. Longer DUP has been associated with poorer symptomatic and functional outcomes7 as well as brain volume loss.8 Studies of DUP have their own methodological limitations and controversies, but they should serve to warn us that the rapid control of psychosis may also be important."

I would use nothing, if possible. Insomnia won't kill you, but some of these drugs will.

Thank you!  I sleep 5 days a week 6-8 hours, but typically 1 or 2 days i don't sleep a wink.  I power through to work, but want to avoid taking anything at all.  I guess if insomnia wont kill me, its not worth taking something else

Remeron would NOT hurt the healing process.

I am glad if you feel it's helping you. Some people do experience symptomatic relief from it, but it is a risk that doesn't pay off for everyone.

I think it's only fair that people be aware of that, as many do experience adverse effects on it (some severe) and/or struggle to come off it - hence the support thread:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=80102.0

I was taking a 1/5 of a seroquel for insomnia every once in a while after the really bad insomnia calmed down and it seemed to help. I had reduced from taking it every few nights when the insomnia was bad. I had to taper it down to get off.

At one point I had not taken it for almost a month. But when this new bout of insomnia started I had to take a 1/3 or a 1/4 of a pill every night for the last week and even then it didnt help that much. I decided last night I wouldnt take anymore because i didnt want something else to taper.