Important Survey - Please Participate ×

severe depression trying to get on lexapro please help

[...]

I have posted in other areas and I am still stuck at 20mgs Valium and believe i am in tolerance.

-wake up early mornings with anxiety

-but it is the black despair of depression I am facing.My pdoc says bipolar but others say

"substance abuse mood disorder"

-this isn't my first depression but it is the worst,anxiety and looped thoughts....

-I am now trying to get on 5mgs lex and then bump to 10?

-I have been stuck in my wd since late November and I am losing hope.

-I sleep 12 hrs a day just dont want to get up am is the worst

-taking 5mgs lex at night but i am polydrugged as you can see from sig.

My questions are-

should i begin wd again as it may help w the tolerance?

-i take 5mgs val am and 5 pm and 10 at night and 150 lyrica at night and now the lex.

-perhaps i should only dose valium 2 xper day?

-I am totally lost here and having such problems with the lyrica.(another story)

-but the depression is impossible to deal with

-Dr who knows little just says get undepressedw the ad and then begin to taper again

any suggestions would be helpful i have lost my appetite and my work i need some help

Ty

Katy

Hi Katy,

I'm sorry you're feeling as you are, but I think you answered your own question, yes you're in tolerance and yes you should resume your taper.  Being immobilized and feeling trapped is so hard on us, so you need to take some of your power back, the power to rid yourself of the drug.  

Concentrate only on the Valium for now, get it out of your life.  It doesn't matter how many times a day you dose, as long as you're reducing it.  You can do this Katy, only you have the power.

Pamster,

can you give me some insight,I responded to having 5mg val and 2mgs val but for the last 3 days I was trying to get onto lexapro.On the third day I had akathisia pretty horrible so had to stop.Is this common when in tolerance?

ty

Some people have a difficult time getting on an antidepressant while in tolerance and withdrawal, our bodies don't react the way we expect them to.  I was already on Lexepro when I went into withdrawals, so I didn't have a problem with it.  If you're not doing well, you might want to discontinue it, what does your Dr say?

It's good to know you've got the 2 mg pills, I hope you can start reducing your way to freedom.

my dr has left until feb17 and no one covering for him(can you believe that?)He said any ad will do,paxil lexapro etc.I actually have them all.He will prescribe anything.

I chose the lex and had to take a break today as it was intolerable.I am on my own here no dr.no nothing.sorry to be a pain.

Katy

Lexapro is pretty strong, and 5 mg is the smallest dose I believe. It is the only antidepressant I can take as the others make me agitated and more. Having these kinds of reactions to AD's is one factor in diagnosing bipolar disorder. In that case, a mood stabilizer (there are several options) may prove beneficial. BP can be tough to diagnose, it can take years, so I'm not surprised you've been told more than one possible diagnosis. Please try to find a psychiatrist that has someone covering for them when out of town, and will do more than prescribe meds. My GP and my psychiatrist know and respect each other and it has been beneficial to have both of them on my health care "team".

Have you taken any other antidepressants in the past? How did they affect you in the first few days? I've found that it only takes about 3 days if I'm going to have a bad reaction to it. But it takes a few weeks to affect depression usually. Your experience can obviously be different from mine.

yes my pdr thinks bp is 4 sure others not,its a mess.I have tried paxil and celexa,,,but always had benzos on board.ty for writing.I am at my wits end really.In Canada it is a long wait for another dr.so I asked for one from my GP but he said no.

The medical community here keeps talking about rapid detox but I know that is dangerous.so much more to this story but my body is sooo tired.

Bless you for writing.

K

K,

Been going through the same thing - VERY TOUGH!!!! I noticed mine was getting worse and also noticed I stopped taking my fish oil (Nordic Natural brand). I took it last night and immediately felt a reduction in my depression (and I was able to sleep in this morning with a more calm feeling). Don't know if this helps everyone, but I got help last night and today and I am VERY grateful!!!!!

Hawk

K,

Been going through the same thing - VERY TOUGH!!!! I noticed mine was getting worse and also noticed I stopped taking my fish oil (Nordic Natural brand). I took it last night and immediately felt a reduction in my depression (and I was able to sleep in this morning with a more calm feeling). Don't know if this helps everyone, but I got help last night and today and I am VERY grateful!!!!!

Hawk

I've heard fish oil can be helpful for depression from several people! You've had a positive experience with it?

Don't know that brand, but I would give it a try (morning and night).

Had heavy depression when I woke up this morning - waves of it. Stayed in bed and focused on relaxation and calmness. Light hits on the wave areas with my fist (on my chest). I took a couple of hours, but it finally went away.

Lot's a positive affirmations.....gentle - not with panic or demanding. 

My best to you...

Hawk

Hmm I bought some a couple of months ago because I was starting a new diet and exercise program and fish oil was recommended as a great supplement. Isn't it funny how things that are good for you for one thing turns out to be good for you in many others, too? Living healthy sure has its benefits...

yes my pdr thinks bp is 4 sure others not,its a mess.I have tried paxil and celexa,,,but always had benzos on board.ty for writing.I am at my wits end really.In Canada it is a long wait for another dr.so I asked for one from my GP but he said no.

The medical community here keeps talking about rapid detox but I know that is dangerous.so much more to this story but my body is sooo tired.

Bless you for writing.

K

Lexapro is practically the same drug as celexa. It is celexa with the inactive mirror image of the drug removed. It is thought to have fewer side effects than celexa such as less weight gain. It is also thought to act more quickly to help depression.

Did you take celexa in the past? Did it help you, do you remember how it affected you? If you took 20 mg of celexa for example, the equivalent dose of lexapro would be 10 mg if you switched over.

Fish oil is thought to be good for your heart and your brain. I would recommend it. I have forgotten to take mine lately. I take 3 capsules (1000 mg each), my husband takes two as recommended by his doctor.

Hi

I am no expert in benzo withdrawal although I hope to be one soon.  I have had experience with Lexapro.  I was told by my doc it was a mild antidepressant with few side effects and easy to get off when the time comes.  It takes 2 to 3 weeks to become a factor.  It is a tool to fight depression but not a one shot fix.  You need to identify the cause of the depression and address it.  If the Lexapro works for you it will help you think through it.  I would ask your doc about Lexapro but allow the 2 to 3 weeks to get n your system and have an overall plan.  Unfortunately Benzos are little depression pills.  Good luck.