Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Poll Regarding Effectiveness of Showers in Helping Restore CNS

[Ke...]

Hey All,

I was looking to see what anecdotal evidence there is for believing frequent showers help restore one's CNS more quickly. I mean, by actively stimulating the receptors in the skin and forcing the CNS to respond. What say you?

A shower definitely helps with my muscle stiffness - it's a chore to do it by I do it everyday because the end result is I always feel better.

I am not really sure how you think a shower can restore the CNS? I think a shower has zero impact on the repair of Gaba. :) Most people take showers daily...I hope....and I don't think it heals you any faster...probably not a bad idea to take a shower though ;)

But...a shower can help with some of the symptoms..as well as Epsom salt baths too....

TC

Well..I don't think it's illogical or counter-intuitive to hypothesize that stimulating the CNS may aid in the restoration of GABA receptors. Stimulation of the body usually induces growth. Aren't a lot of forms of recuperative therapy centered on this idea? Does anyone know if it's actually been studied?

I think exercise stimulates the brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) which causes growth and repair, also one of the hypothesis in the action of AD on the brain.  Warm shower would be a lot easier and pleasant though.

I am not really sure how you think a shower can restore the CNS? I think a shower has zero impact on the repair of Gaba. :) Most people take showers daily...I hope....and I don't think it heals you any faster...probably not a bad idea to take a shower though ;)

But...a shower can help with some of the symptoms..as well as Epsom salt baths too....

TC

::)  Words out of my own mouth.  Even though I don't think showers are going to heal my brain, a very hot bath tends to ease some of the muscle ache and calm my brain.  It certainly can't hurt.  Well, I guess it might hurt a person who was inclined to drown in a foot of water.  Then again if that is the case, you probably don't have a long life expectancy anyway...  ::):laugh:

BT,

I found the whole shower resetting the GABA receptors kind of amusing too. ;) I think if it has that placebo effect on you KevinScott, I say go for it. :) It isn't bad to take a shower here and there anway. :)

I wish someone would come up with a cupcake hypothesis...cause I am still craving carbs arghhhhhhhhhhhhh...

As far as research...probably not much research period regarding this topic...at least not long term... I am pretty sure that I have read that showers can alleviate symtpoms for some, but I can tell you that it also revs up symptoms for others...as far as repairing GABA...I will stick with a no :)

TC

Hello KevinScott,

I understand the reason for wanting to think that there is something else besides time that will help speed up the process. I can assure you there is nothing that will speed up this process of the brain to up regulate gaba. It is not a shower, or an herbal remedy, or hocus pocus magic, or thinking positive, or unicorns and rainbows...just time. I think as humans we constantly feel the need to try something or do something instead of sitting and waiting for this process to be complete.I know it sucks. I have been waiting for over a year. Before I knew about w/d, I went on a crusade to find the cure for this back in 2003. I did acupuncture, herbal remedies, meditation, medications, supplements, and therapy. I also tried walking and exercising which now makes me much much worse.

Showers for me in the beginning were nothing less than terrifying. It increased my derealisation, panic, made my skin sensations worse and made my other symptoms rev up. It was to the point where I was taking a shower once every 2-3 months because they made an already overstimulated CNS much worse.

This is a process that our brains need to fix, not a simple shower. I wish that were true because if it was  I would be healed by now. That being said, anything that  helps to distract from w/d is good. So if it is showers for you, than I am sure you will become the cleanest person in your area.  :laugh: :laugh:  Stay clean my friend.

chrisw

I grew up playing a ton of basketball. When I was in high school, I tore the ligaments in my right ankle badly. The doctor told me I would be on crutches for 9 weeks. I decided to take whirlpool treatments every day in the rehabilitation room. I was back on the courts in a little over 5 weeks. Why? The action of the warm water jets against my ankle a) dislodged dead cells and b) increased the blood circulation in that area to remove these cells and promote new growth. I don't know that showers do anything for healing GABA receptors. I guess all I was saying is that it seems odd that one cannot speed up recovery in this area when one can in so many others. Stranger hypotheses have been scientifically tested.

Heat applied superficially will only heat a centimetre or so into to the body, this causes a dilation of blood vessels and more blood flow.  For some injuries, torn ligaments, muscles etc there may be some small reduction in healing time.

GABA receptors are strewn deep withing the body, applying superficial heat will not have any effect on them.  A torn ligament and the "damage" to the neurotransmitter systems caused by benzos are in completely different leagues.

Benzo "damage" is not physical damage as such,  it is a modification of the body's natural processes to incorporate the external benzo.  There isn't anything to heal per se, the body has to revert to homeostasis if it can and this will only happen at its own rate. 

As much as everyone who goes through this wants to believe there is some potion, pill or remedy, unfortunately there isn't, only time will work.

Of course, eating a normal healthy diet, exercising the mind and body and getting as much rest as possible are all good things to do to help give yourself a stable base from which to "heal"

Personally I never liked getting wet, so I doubt it helps my Gaba at all.

But I'm experimenting with "Frequency Specific Microcurrent" which may help. I've only had one session so far, where my acupuncturist used the simplest program of it on me. It made me feel warm and I did find myself smiling towards the end of it. It's kinda like the electro-muscular stimulation you get in Physio Therapy, but the currents are much smaller. I had a very good day for anxiety that day but it was starting out as a good day anyways before I saw her. I didn't get the 'blahs' as the sun set. She says it works on your sympathetic nervous system, and that is what I need.

So I can't say for sure that it helped after just the one session. But I go again on Monday and she will use a program meant specifically for anxiety.

I'll let you all know if it makes a difference.

She does some acupuncture at the same time to improve the flow of my chi. Not sure I believe in this, but both my mother (who is a natural skeptic) and her friend saw a huge reduction in the pain they were experiencing.

So anyways,

if you enjoy showering, I can see why it would improve Gaba, because you enjoy it. Do what you enjoy and you are bound to feel better.

-Tanya

Well I didn't really notice any difference from the Frequency Specific Microcurrent Therapy. So who knows.

I like the acupuncture and the yoga though.

-Tanya