Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Questions about titrating Clonazepam

[he...]

So I have worked my way down to ~.35mg of clonazepam (down from .5). I say ~ because I'm starting to question the accuracy of the scale I'm using. Because of that (and also because my jumps have each been extremely difficult), I am planning a switch to a liquid taper (after hanging out here at .35mg for a bit to take a breather), and would love help coming up with a schedule.

I'll be using .5mg tablets. Currently taking less than one tablet per day (.35mg)

I'll be using a 100ml cylinder that has 1ml increments

I've been *trying* about a 5-10% jump every 10-14 days, some holds have been a lot longer, but I'd like to keep to that approximate speed.

So:

1) I've figured out that I should fill my cylinder up to 100ml with my .5mg tablet, then take that down to around 71ml to start out with, is my math correct?

2) Should I start by going down 1ml per day? Every 2 days?

3) Currently I'm doing ~.15mg in the morning and ~.2mg at night. Can I mix the solution once and use some of it in the morning and use the same solution at night? Or does it "go bad"? I don't really want to use 2 tablets per day if I can help it.

Any help is appreciated!

You didn't say how you were going to make your liquid, but you need to know that K is NOT water-soluble.  You need to start with a tiny amount of solvent, either vodka (alcohol) or propylene glycol, then dilute that with water.

Combine 4mg K + 8ml vodka or PG + 32 ml water.  This gives you a 10-12 day supply of .1mg per ml liquid K.

Here's an 8%/14 day plan:

.35mg                    3.5ml

.348mg                  3.38ml

.346mg                  3.46ml

.344mg                  3.44ml

etc.......

Just lower your dose by .02ml (.002mg) each day.

These are the amounts you draw from your supply and drink each day.  You do NOT "pull and discard" anything.

Thanks for the advice builder!

I was planning on using milk, but if alcohol/water keeps better, I can do that. Do I need to refrigerate the liquid?

1)  Milk will work OK, its just less convenient.

2)  The vodka/PG solutions do not need to be refrigerated.

Thanks for the advice builder!

I was planning on using milk, but if alcohol/water keeps better, I can do that. Do I need to refrigerate the liquid?

Personally I would not use milk.  The small amount of alcohol works wonderful.  Builder is awesome and has directed my taper...  so listen to him.  :smitten:  :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I'm sold on the alcohol mixture. I love the idea of making a 10 day supply. RaquelRocks, do you do just one dose per day? Currently I'm splitting my doses into a smaller one in the morn, and a larger one at night. I feel like the liquid taper will be a lot easier to manage with just one daily dose, so as I'm holding at .35 mg, I'm going to try to merge my 2 doses into 1 to see how it goes. I figure with the long half-life of K, it should be okay, but we shall see.

Thanks guys. I'm sold on the alcohol mixture. I love the idea of making a 10 day supply. RaquelRocks, do you do just one dose per day? Currently I'm splitting my doses into a smaller one in the morn, and a larger one at night. I feel like the liquid taper will be a lot easier to manage with just one daily dose, so as I'm holding at 3.5 mg, I'm going to try to merge my 2 doses into 1 to see how it goes. I figure with the long half-life of K, it should be okay, but we shall see.

Whether you want to split the doses or not is really up to you and what you feel most comfortable with. I take one dose at night and that works for me although I've never split up the doses.

I just wanted to comment because I have been using 10 day supplies since I started tapering last year and my taper has been almost entirely symptom free. I use PG instead of alcohol, however. 

I also wanted to take this opportunity to thank Builder for his help. He knows what he is talking about. I'm not sure I would have been able to start a DLMT without his help, along with Jim Hawk.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I'm sold on the alcohol mixture. I love the idea of making a 10 day supply. RaquelRocks, do you do just one dose per day? Currently I'm splitting my doses into a smaller one in the morn, and a larger one at night. I feel like the liquid taper will be a lot easier to manage with just one daily dose, so as I'm holding at .35 mg, I'm going to try to merge my 2 doses into 1 to see how it goes. I figure with the long half-life of K, it should be okay, but we shall see.

Yes.... I do one dose per day and don't refrigerate anything.  I use "ball" jars with a lid for my solution and store it in a dark place.  Just tailor your tapering to meet your own needs and may you have much success!  :thumbsup:

How long should I let the K dissolve in vodka before diluting with water?

I just made my switch to liquid about a week ago, and I've entered into a pretty rough wave. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, like maybe I didn't let it dissolve for long enough or something (I let it sit for about 10 min, then I stirred it a bunch). Or maybe my body is just re-adjusting to the liquid?

I just made my switch to liquid about a week ago, and I've entered into a pretty rough wave. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, like maybe I didn't let it dissolve for long enough or something (I let it sit for about 10 min, then I stirred it a bunch). Or maybe my body is just re-adjusting to the liquid?

10 minutes is way more than enough time!

I agree with builder.  It's anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on what I'm doing when I make my batch.  I stir the liquid with a glass stir stick.  :smitten: