Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Calculations for Valium 5 mg titration

[Su...]

Hello everyone

I apologize in advance if my questions are repetitive, but I am so confused about starting a liquid taper of 5 mg of Valium. The math is very confusing to me and my fuzzy, clouded thinking from lack of sleep and this poisonous drug isn’t helping me :( I initially thought i would try a dry taper, but after more research decided a liquid taper would be much better and easier for me. I am just starting my taper. My first question is: if i am breaking my one 5 mg tablet into 4 doses that i take 4 times a day, how much liquid should I use? Do i use the 1 tablet to make 4 liquid doses each day? Secondly, which liquid is best? Water? Milk? Vodka? I searched the forums and found an old link that calculates everything for you but the link no longer works. If there is a link that is current can someone direct me to where I can find it? I know this is repetitive information to some - I apologize. Just desperate for answers and direction. My physician is not supportive and I’m having a difficult time finding a Dr that is understanding. I am determined to get off of this med. I so look forward to the day when I can say I slept well that night. Thank you for any advice ❤️

Hi Sunny64,

First of all, are you still taking Xanax? Because 0.5 mgs is equal to 10 mgs of diazepam, not 5 mgs. You should probably do a crossover, which is what most member do here. Xanax is incledibly short-acting, so you have to dose multiple times. How do you do it? Do you take it once a day or multiple times? I'm curious because you seem confident. You just need to find the right psychiatrist who will support your switch to Valium. Seriously, a direct taper from Xanax is probably the most challenging feat to accomplish. Unless you feel okay.

Could you please provide us with more info, so we can be of more use to you? Hope you're doing okay.

As far as titration, there are many members here who can help you. Here's a thread worth looking into: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=38939.0

Regards,

Georgi  :)

Hello everyone

I apologize in advance if my questions are repetitive, but I am so confused about starting a liquid taper of 5 mg of Valium. The math is very confusing to me and my fuzzy, clouded thinking from lack of sleep and this poisonous drug isn’t helping me :( I initially thought i would try a dry taper, but after more research decided a liquid taper would be much better and easier for me. I am just starting my taper. My first question is: if i am breaking my one 5 mg tablet into 4 doses that i take 4 times a day, how much liquid should I use? Do i use the 1 tablet to make 4 liquid doses each day? Secondly, which liquid is best? Water? Milk? Vodka? I searched the forums and found an old link that calculates everything for you but the link no longer works. If there is a link that is current can someone direct me to where I can find it? I know this is repetitive information to some - I apologize. Just desperate for answers and direction. My physician is not supportive and I’m having a difficult time finding a Dr that is understanding. I am determined to get off of this med. I so look forward to the day when I can say I slept well that night. Thank you for any advice ❤️

Once you grasp the concept, its really very simple.  Don't be intimidated.

Combine 50mg V + 100ml vodka or propylene glycol + 400ml water.  This is 10-12 day supply of dilute liquid V, .1mg per ml.

Here's a plan for approx a 5%/2 weeks:

Schedule:

5mg                50ml

4.98mg          49.8ml

4.96mg          49.6ml

4.94mg          49.4ml

etc...

Just reduce your dose by .2ml (.02mg) each day. 

Thank you for your reply :) I have been through several changes since my original post and have updated my current bio! I’m no longer taking the Xanax and am currently taking the Valium. I’m splitting the 5 mg into 4 pieces (dry cutting) and having a lot of symptoms in between doeses. This is why I’m considering a liquid taper. It’s my understanding it’s much better and gradual than cutting the pills? Thank you for your help. Having others who have advice and answers and empathize means a lot to us that have had doors slammed in our faces by physicians who don’t have compassion.

Thank you for your reply :) I have been through several changes since my original post and have updated my current bio! I’m no longer taking the Xanax and am currently taking the Valium. I’m splitting the 5 mg into 4 pieces (dry cutting) and having a lot of symptoms in between doeses. This is why I’m considering a liquid taper. It’s my understanding it’s much better and gradual than cutting the pills? Thank you for your help. Having others who have advice and answers and empathize means a lot to us that have had doors slammed in our faces by physicians who don’t have compassion.

When you switch to liquid, you don't have to worry about splitting tablets.  With liquid, you can make as tiny a cut as you want, hundredths of a mg.

BTW, you really don't 4 doses/day with valium, but if you want to continue 4 doses, just pull up the amounts in schedule for each day, put that whole day's dose in a standard measuring cup, and then top it up to 1 full cut.  Drink 1/4 cup for each dose.