Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Help with staying with DLMT or go back to cut and hold

[to...]

I was doing the cut and hold method when I started my taper in January 2019, I was taking 3.5 mg Xanax and when I started my taper, I was making .25 mg cuts a month and holding.  I was doing ok until the last cut and hold and stayed there for 40 days. 

I started a DLMT 12 days ago and am having a lot of symptoms even though with the DLMT I am tapering less than with the cut and hold method.  i am having headaches, ear pressure, irritability and other sxs that are uncomfortable.

I was pretty much for the most part doing ok with cut and hold.  I am wondering if I should go back to that as that seemed more tolerable for me.  I am extremely sensitive to meds and even though it is the same medicine, the method by which I take it seems to make a difference. 

Need some advice.  I am miserable right now.  The headaches are relentless.

Thanks.

Thanks.  I appreciate your response.  I really thought the DLMT would be easier, I do not know exactly what to do.  I do agree I need to stabilize. 

Were you using tablets for cut-and-hold and then changed to liquid for DLMT?  For liquid, are you using Rx? Compounded? Homemade?  Did you give your body time to adjust to the change from tablets to liquid?

Were you using tablets for cut-and-hold and then changed to liquid for DLMT?  For liquid, are you using Rx? Compounded? Homemade?  Did you give your body time to adjust to the change from tablets to liquid?

Hi, Yes I was using tablets for the cut and hold.  For the liquid I am using the tablets and dissolving them in vodka.  I am doing the homemade ratio I was given.  It has been 12 days so I do not know if that is enough time or not.  That is also why I am asking what to do.  I read on BB there is no difference between taking the liquid and taking the tablets so I did not think I would have a problem with sxs. 

The liquid tapering is a lower cut than what I was doing with the cut and hold with the tablets.

Thanks 

Its the same medicine, same tablets, same source, etc.  Dissolving the tablet and then drinking it is no different than swallowing the tablet and chasing it with a glass of water. 

When you swallow a tablet, it become liquid within seconds of getting to the stomach.  Nothing is different.

Its the same medicine, same tablets, same source, etc.  Dissolving the tablet and then drinking it is no different than swallowing the tablet and chasing it with a glass of water. 

When you swallow a tablet, it become liquid within seconds of getting to the stomach.  Nothing is different.

Hi,

That being the case, Do you have any guess as to why I am having symptoms this bad with the headaches?

Unfortunately, any change we make in our method, materials, or tools can have an impact.  I am the cautious sort so waited 10 days after I switched from tablets to liquid before I started to make reductions.  I arrived at this number based on the half-life of the benzo I take (clonazepam).  Ideas for you to consider include (a) return to the dose you were taking before you made the switch from tablets to liquids (it’s only been 12 days, right?), (b) research the half-life of your benzo as well as how many half-lives it takes for drugs to reach steady state, use this info to make a “best guess” as to how long to hold before starting to make reductions, © revisit your taper rate - would making smaller reductions over a longer period of time be of possible benefit to you ... at least at the beginning of your DMLT? (if all goes well, you can always “speed up”). Sending all best wishes your way for a successful taper!

Thanks, I am going to look at that and see what I need to do.  Staying at current dose for a couple days at least to see how I do.  Maybe go back and start at where I was 12 days ago might be what I need to do.  I am going to do more research today and decide.  I do not want to get worse and I also do not want to stop my taper.

Hi Builder,

As you know, I am having severe headaches and other symptoms since I started the DLMT.  I would like to do my first dose of the day at 1.0 mg using the tablet.  Then use the liquid for the rest of the day.  I would like the second dose and third dose to be the same and the last dose of the day to be the least amount, around .25 mg. (with that decreasing daily too)  How do I do this?  I am at 2.146 today and have taken the 1.0 mg tablet this morning.

Once I start the new plan, I plan on staying at this dose until I stabilize and then continue going down but using this method.

Thank you for your help.

You know. It could be anxiety that is causing the uptick in symptoms. If you are worrying about making the switch, the worry may be making the switch rough. That doesn't make the impact any less painful.

You know. It could be anxiety that is causing the uptick in symptoms. If you are worrying about making the switch, the worry may be making the switch rough. That doesn't make the impact any less painful.

You may be right, I thought I was doing ok after a few days of being on the liquid, I was good with it but we all know anxiety can cause so many symptoms even if we do not realize it is in fact anxiety. 

Thanks for the response.  :thumbsup:

Agree with all!

Yes, some folks experience real sxs when doing liquid.  But the liquid doesn't cause them.

Hi,

That being the case, Do you have any guess as to why I am having symptoms this bad with the headaches?

Hi, a possible reason I can think of is that the concentration of your liquid is less than you supposse, because not all xanax dissolved into your 8% alcohol liquid, or if it did, went partially out of solution again because of the cold of the fridge.

I discussed these possible problems for the case of lorazepam, but a similar reasoning can be held for Xanax.

See this post:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=222642.msg2864115#msg2864115

Thanks for your input - I did not have the solution in the fridge.  Also I was doing 20mg Xanax, 40 ML vodka and 160 ML water and was drawing from that each day so I do not think that was it.  I know I am super sensitive.  I have gone back to all pills for the last couple days and that is helping.

I will check out the thread you sent and thank you.

For whatever reason, a number of people report problems with the transition.. It seems that it is often fixed with some extra time to adjust, either by holding or a lesser (part pill, part liquid), or slower cross over... 

I hope things keep getting better for you..

:)

For whatever reason, a number of people report problems with the transition.. It seems that it is often fixed with some extra time to adjust, either by holding or a lesser (part pill, part liquid), or slower cross over... 

I hope things keep getting better for you..

:)

Thanks - I got a PM from a lady who said she and alot of others she has talked to had issues too so I know it is not just me.  Some people just can not do all things.  I am still taking pills and adjusting to being back on them.  I am doing some better but am going through something right now but plan to cut again in a few days.

Thanks for your reply .