In your opinion what is the most dangerous benzo?

[Re...]

Rohypnol

Rohypnol is known as the killer Benzo...turns people into monsters.

Banned in most countries now...

Klonopin. Less than two weeks of use has ruined over a year of my life when I was misprescribed and misinformed about this poison. I thought it was a sleeping tablet.

Having had experience with Valium, Xanax and Klonopin .....IMO Klonopin is hands down the most dangerous of these 3 benzos.

I have experience with Xanax, Klonopin, and Valium, and, hands down, Xanax was the absolute worst. The main reason for this, from my perspective, is the short half life.  This makes interdose withdrawals and tolerance horrible, not to mention it's almost impossible to taper directly off of Xanax (because of these issues). 

• 2 weeks later...
I was prescribed up to 4 mg Ativan and 2 mg Xanax, and tapered off starting with 30 mg Valium. Ativan, in my opinion, is the most physically addictive, insidious, and dangerous of the three and caused me the greatest harm.

Alprazolam/Xanax is THE most dangerous and potent benzo. It's actually banned here in Australia since 2012, due to its abuse and addictive potential.

I think some may bind to more receptors than others.

Klonopin/clonazepam binds particularly tightly with GABA receptors. Might be the explanation of why (anecdotally) Klonopin is worse (for some) to withdraw from than (most) other benzodiazepines.

[df...]

I believe klonopin is also the only benzo that works on both GABA-A and B receptors, but I could be wrong about that. 

We took a poll once on the protracted forum and discovered that the majority of protracted members took klonopin. It might not always produce the worst taper / withdrawal, but it seems like it may cause the most longterm damage, at least judging by the protracted board. From my observations, it also appears that those who took klonopin are more likely to experience severe DP/DR during withdrawal and recovery than those who took other benzos.

I've taken a look at a lot of protracted people's signatures, and Klonopin and Ativan seem to be the strongest culprits.

But I guess it could be whatever a person was on and had major problems with. They're all bad for people who are sensitive to these pills!

I'm scared that it's probably Klonopin. I took generic Klonopin for like four years and quit c/t many times. Then I was off a few years and took brand name for 2 months and have been struggling ever since. I'm 16 months off and still struggling. Horrible anger.

It seems from everyone I've spoken with it seems like Ativan and Klonopin.

I don't know but throwing this into the mix I finally went from klon to valium and failed to get off.

SO depressing, the valium.

So now I half crossed back, which makes no sense, and no idea what to do.

A dr. told me in older people, valium is bad because of its metabolites that are very long acting.  I read that somewhere, too, said in older people the shorter acting ones might be better.

?

I don't know but throwing this into the mix I finally went from klon to valium and failed to get off.

SO depressing, the valium.

So now I half crossed back, which makes no sense, and no idea what to do.

A dr. told me in older people, valium is bad because of its metabolites that are very long acting.  I read that somewhere, too, said in older people the shorter acting ones might be better.

?

It's really a matter of opinion. Valium is a lot milder on the body, but it's metabolites nesmethyldiazepam and oxazepam stay in the body a lot longer than 200 hours, which means it stays in your system for ages and ages until you start feeling withdrawals, up to two weeks later in some cases. Alprazolam/Xanax and Klonopin are a lot harsher, but clear the body quicker. I guess the reason why most people opt to change over to Valium is because the withdrawals are easier to handle and the metabolites stay in the body longer, meaning more even blood serum/drug ratios. Having said that, no benzo is easier than another to taper.

I have tested everything from Valium to Xanax. For my part, I didn’t react at all to Valium (but of course it's individual). Diazepam-WD was unpleasant; insomnia, anxiety and sweatings. But Xanax sent me to hell. Hallucinations, DR/DP and 40 symptoms.

Heavy addicts said that Xanax is "the best, and the strongest". So this was my biggest mistake.
 Ativan and Klonopin should also be a hell.

Xanax was a nightmare. The interdose withdrawal was a horror story. I have never taken Ativan but from all of the tons of posts I have read it seems to me to be the worst. I mean I’ve seen some people suffer for years just being on 1 mg for a month or even less. Some 10 days.

What about the most tolerable benzo? Is Valium the safest of the lot? Librium?

I read an article that said Valium and Librium. 

I took Ativan, unfortunately. That's one of the worst!

What about the most tolerable benzo? Is Valium the safest of the lot? Librium?

I read an article that said Valium and Librium. 

I took Ativan, unfortunately. That's one of the worst!

:( Sorry to hear Restoration123. How are you now?

I've taken a look at a lot of protracted people's signatures, and Klonopin and Ativan seem to be the strongest culprits.

But I guess it could be whatever a person was on and had major problems with. They're all bad for people who are sensitive to these pills!

Makes one wonder why these were ever so widely prescribed, at all.  Is there a term "prescribing or prescriber-abuse" (for offending doctors who overprescribe either by dose &/or length of time)?  There should be.  Seems the one around the longest, valium, might've actually been the safest (?)  Especially, as that's the one used to taper folks, if they choose to follow Ashton Manual & find the mythical taper-cooperative doctors.  (Perhaps more of an actual flesh being in countries outside of U.S.)

Makes one wonder why these were ever so widely prescribed, at all.  Is there a term "prescribing or prescriber-abuse" (for offending doctors who overprescribe either by dose &/or length of time)?  There should be.  Seems the one around the longest, valium, might've actually been the safest (?)  Especially, as that's the one used to taper folks, if they choose to follow Ashton Manual & find the mythical taper-cooperative doctors.  (Perhaps more of an actual flesh being in countries outside of U.S.)

I get the impression that the drug companies are always on the look-out to invent more potent, faster-acting medications ... Bad news for all of us who took K, X or Ativan!

I think the blatant over-prescribing of the benzos are done so that you keep going to the same doctor to get a refill, but on a more regular basis. Doctor's are making serious coin off of Medicare (in Australia) or Trump/Obamacare in the US big time. Believe me. I looked up my doctor's Medicare claims record via Medicare online, and the amount of extra coin they make when they sign you over that little script is absurd. I think an extra $300 per six months was the bare minimum.

I swear the only reason Alprazolam/Xanax got banned here in Australia was because of the Sunday Night investigation into its effects. Had that doc not blown the whistle, Xanax would still be legal in Australia now.

I don't understand how they get paid more for each script are you saying?

Here I think they're afraid to prescribe cuz Medicare etc. keeps tabs on them.

?

I don't understand how they get paid more for each script are you saying?

Here I think they're afraid to prescribe cuz Medicare etc. keeps tabs on them.

?

It could be very different in the US, I don't know. Some doc's like to flout the rules by over-prescribing benzos and they know they get in trouble through Medicare, but either don't care or just accept the consequences. Other doc's don't prescribe benzos, but are happy to prescribe SSRI'S which do the same damage, if not worse IMO.

One doctor I went to had a $40 cheque made out to her by the Tax Office and I had to send it to the clinic for a stupid spirometry test. She pushed me on to Paxil, and then wanted me to go on another SSRI because Paxil didn't work. To me, this is nothing more than a money-making racket. I said no to the SSRI changeover. The spirometry test came back clear. The whole thing was absurd. It is a wonder how some doc's get away with this type of thing.

I don't go there anymore.