Famous people who are on benzos?

[Yu...]

I heard on the news that President Trump takes Ambien to sleep on plane trips.  How could Tiger win the Masters taking benzo's on a regular basis?  Golfing takes so much precision, etc.  Maybe he takes them just occasionally now and maybe always did?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Fi...]

• [La...]

• [Be...]

• [Yu...]

I heard on the news that President Trump takes Ambien to sleep on plane trips.  How could Tiger win the Masters taking benzo's on a regular basis?  Golfing takes so much precision, etc.  Maybe he takes them just occasionally now and maybe always did?

I think poster above has it right re: the stimulants.  I'd wondered same about Chris Cornell/performing.  I hadn't been knocked out when put on ativan for pain, but I'd been on steroids (non-athletic & not abuse, prescribed) @ the time, so the ativan just kept me functioning.  The steroids were stimulants; hence, no-knockout.  Basically, prescription ups & downs.  Same scenario as SSRI's & benzo's.  They're creating a world of non-functional zombies, legally.  :tickedoff:

I thought Thomas Kinkade only died of an alcohol ovedose.  Didn't know he took Valium too?  That's interesting.  I had one of his beautiful calendars years ago.  Wished I could afford one of his painting prints, but they cost too much.

Skatottle,  Read your signature line.  Wow...that sounds like a fast taper for having taken it so long.  Good for you, out the other end & for 4 years now!  :thumbsup:

There's this 2012 article that came out in the Toronto Star after Whitney Houston died. It lists other celebs who died with benzos in their systems, including Amy Winehouse, Heath Ledger, Michael Jackson, Brittany Murphy, DJ AM, and Anna Nicole Smith:

"How anti-anxiety meds are killing celebrities"

https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2012/03/02/how_antianxiety_meds_are_killing_celebrities.html 

I think Tom Petty and baseball player Roy Halladay also had benzos and/or Z-drugs in their systems when they died.

....  from the same article....."How anti-anxiety meds are killing celebrities"

Huh?  :idiot:

“One of the finest and best things you can use for co-occurring anxiety if you’re going to use a medication is a benzodiazepine,” he says, adding that the pills are also “phenomenal muscle relaxants” making them attractive to a “pill-oriented society” that has little time to de-stress using meditation or yoga.

Some of the more popular benzodiazepines include Ativan (lorazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Valium (diazepam) and Klonopin (clonazepam), known as Rivotril in Canada.

~ Dr. Harris Stratyner, Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry at New York’s Mount Sinai hospital

....  from the same article....."How anti-anxiety meds are killing celebrities"

Huh?  :idiot:

“One of the finest and best things you can use for co-occurring anxiety if you’re going to use a medication is a benzodiazepine,” he says, adding that the pills are also “phenomenal muscle relaxants” making them attractive to a “pill-oriented society” that has little time to de-stress using meditation or yoga.

Some of the more popular benzodiazepines include Ativan (lorazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Valium (diazepam) and Klonopin (clonazepam), known as Rivotril in Canada.

~ Dr. Harris Stratyner, Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry at New York’s Mount Sinai hospital

Yes, but you have to read the whole article. Benzodiazepines work. That's what that doctor is saying. They work so well that they're prescribed in huge numbers. They work, but if used beyond a short period of time, they can also create a physiological dependence and result in a wide range of negative side effects.

Pulling one quote out of an article such as this one without giving the context doesn't help people understand it.

I have absolutely NO proof to share with you guys but I do believe that both Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade's deaths were a result of withdrawals.  I investigated with inside sources and knew what questions to ask. Both took Benzos, both tried to get off, both isolated due to extreme symptoms and both hung themselves.  Take it or leave it but this is (and should have a long time ago) going to get REAL in November this year if all goes well with the media outlet.  IF is a big word though  - many obstacles still to overcome.  I could have easily been a suicide statistic having NO benzos in me when I considered ending it due to extreme physical pain and mental anguish.  I am here and now on a mission to help others get off Benzos properly and warn the rest of the WORLD about the dangers. 

I have absolutely NO proof to share with you guys but I do believe that both Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade's deaths were a result of withdrawals.  I investigated with inside sources and knew what questions to ask. Both took Benzos, both tried to get off, both isolated due to extreme symptoms and both hung themselves.  Take it or leave it but this is (and should have a long time ago) going to get REAL in November this year if all goes well with the media outlet.  IF is a big word though  - many obstacles still to overcome.  I could have easily been a suicide statistic having NO benzos in me when I considered ending it due to extreme physical pain and mental anguish.  I am here and now on a mission to help others get off Benzos properly and warn the rest of the WORLD about the dangers.

Hi LeslieJ,

Which media outlet are you referring to there? Is something in the works for November? That's a long lead time, so I'm assuming it's not a small thing. Can you tell us anything?

Here is an obituary of a man who, according to this obituary, not only used (tested) a benzodiazepine on himself but he is also accredited with discovering them.

Leo Sternbach, died at the age of 97.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2005-oct-01-me-sternbach1-story.html

"Leo Sternbach, 97; Invented Valium, Many Other Drugs"

"Leo Sternbach, the medicinal chemist who soothed the anxieties of a generation of Americans with the invention of Librium and Valium, died Wednesday at his home in Chapel Hill, N.C. He was 97.

Sternbach had 241 drug patents, and at one point his discoveries accounted for 40% of the Roche Group's worldwide sales. His discovery of the benzodiazepine class of anti-anxiety drugs, which included the famous "Mother's Little Helper" of the Rolling Stones' hit record, was noted by U.S. News & World Report, which named him one of the 25 most influential Americans of the 20th century.

The discovery was an impressive achievement for a project he was not even supposed to be working on.

The saga began in 1953 when Wallace Pharmaceuticals brought out an anti-anxiety drug called Miltown that was then thought -- wrongly, it was learned later -- to be free of the many adverse side effects that afflicted barbiturates, the most widely used drugs for anxiety at the time.

Sternbach's bosses at Roche in New Jersey ordered him to produce a "me too" version of Miltown by modifying the drug enough to bypass Wallace's patents. Sternbach, however, thought modifying another man's drug was boring.

Instead, he followed a hunch about some compounds he had studied as potential dyes years earlier in Poland. Their structures, he reasoned, could interact favorably with the human nervous system.

But two years of research proved fruitless, and his bosses told him to drop the project and switch to the development of antibiotics. Sternbach began working on the germ-killers, but he kept tinkering with the dyes. "I always did what I wanted to do," he later said.

Within two years, he and his colleagues -- especially chemist Earl Reeder -- had discovered the first benzodiazepine. As they did with other potential anti-anxiety drugs, they tested it on mice that were placed at the bottom of a steeply inclined screen. Normal mice climb the screen easily. Drugged mice relax and slide back down, where they mingle in a group torpor.

With the new drug, the mice also relaxed and slid back down. But even at the bottom, they were awake and alert, a remarkable thing.

Because he was not supposed to be working on anti-anxiety drugs, Sternbach sat on the discovery for six months. Finally, using the excuse of a periodic laboratory cleanup, he presented it to Lowell Randall, Roche's chief of pharmacology, as something they had stumbled across that should be tested.

A few days later, Randall called back to say the compound was "interesting" and asked for more. The drug was Librium, which went on the market in 1960.

Three years later, the company brought out Valium, also discovered by Sternbach, as the successor to Librium. Valium was the biggest-selling drug in the country from 1969 to 1980, but it lost some of its luster when it was found to be addictive.

Sternbach's total profit on each drug was $1, handed over for signing away the patent rights. He did, however, receive a $10,000 prize that was then offered by the company for the discovery of drugs that were significantly profitable. That award was dropped, he said, "after I won it three or four times."

Leo Henryk Sternbach was born May 7, 1908, in the seaside town of Abbazia, in what is now Croatia, the son of a lower-class Polish pharmacist who married an upper-class Hungarian Jew. He honed his skill in chemistry as a teenager by disassembling leftover artillery shells from World War I and using the powder to make fireworks.

He earned a doctorate in chemistry at the University of Krakow in Poland and worked there for six years before moving on to the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich.

It was made clear to him that a Jew could not advance far at the institute, and in 1940 he joined what was known then as F. Hoffman-La Roche Ltd. in Basel.

When Roche moved all its Jewish employees to the United States, Sternbach and his wife, Herta, traveled through Nazi-occupied France to Portugal, where they caught a ship to safety. The key document in their travels was a Swiss passport, which the Swiss government issued to some non-citizens and which did not list nationalities or religions.

When he began working for Roche in Nutley, N.J., Sternbach felt largely isolated because of his religion. "There was a period when I was in the wilderness, so to speak, due to office politics," he said later.

But as his productivity grew, so did respect for him. By the mid-1960s, he was head of a team of more than 20 PhDs, plus junior chemists and clerks.

An old-school chemist, Sternbach was a member of the breed of "two-legged rats" who often tested drugs on themselves before they entered clinical trials. His lab notebooks meticulously record his reactions to a dose of Librium, noting that it didn't affect his appetite, but that by the end of the day he was very, very tired.

His little experiments did not always turn out so well, however. After ingesting one experimental drug, Sternbach's legs got wobbly and company officials had to call his wife to come and take him home. He spent two days in bed before returning to his post.

Sternbach formally retired in 1973, but he kept an office at Roche and came in faithfully every day until 2003, when he and his wife moved to North Carolina to be near his son Daniel, a medicinal chemist at GlaxoSmithKline Inc., in Research Triangle Park.

Earlier this year, Sternbach was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in Akron, Ohio.

He was too weak to travel to the ceremony, however, and his other son Michael accepted the award for him.

"I've had a nice life," he said at the time. "I could always do what I wanted to do. I've invented some important drugs that helped many, many people.

"And as a Jew, I've had many more pleasures than most Jews of my time had."

In addition to his wife and two sons, Sternbach is survived by five grandchildren."

I am wondering... these celebs who take benzos/alcohol or benzos/whatever else/ alcohol...  are they taking like handfuls of them to result in death?

I thought that if you take a lot of them you'd throw up...  ?

Alcohol, opioids and benzodiazepines all cause respiratory depression, so depending on how much is taken and the state of health of an individual, a combination of two of those drugs could cause death. I don't think there's a certain amount of each taken together that you could say with certainty will cause death. There are too many individual factors -- not the least of which is genetics -- to make such a prediction. Other factors might be age and health issues.

Suffice to say, anyone who takes a combo of central nervous system depressants is taking a big risk. I think most of the celebrity deaths showed various combinations of things in people's systems

https://www.businessinsider.com/medications-drugs-trump-takes-2018-1

"Every medication we know Trump takes, and what they're for"

"For someone who doesn't smoke or drink, President Donald Trump takes a fair amount of drugs.

His list includes Crestor for high cholesterol, aspirin to prevent heart attacks, antibiotics to treat skin rosacea, Propecia for baldness, and Ambien to help him rest on flights.

That's according to White House physician Ronny Jackson, who released information about Trump's yearly physical, which was conducted last week, at a press conference on Tuesday."

"For someone who doesn't smoke or drink, President Donald Trump takes a fair amount of drugs.

His list includes Crestor for high cholesterol, aspirin to prevent heart attacks, antibiotics to treat skin rosacea, Propecia for baldness, and Ambien to help him rest on flights.

That's according to White House physician Ronny Jackson, who released information about Trump's yearly physical, which was conducted last week, at a press conference on Tuesday."

That's not a lot of drugs for someone in the western world who is 70 something years old.

I cringe at the amount of shit my dad and my grandpa were on when they were still alive. My dad couldn't even keep track of all of his meds, he had to have help from my mom.

That's not a lot of drugs for someone in the western world who is 70 something years old.

I cringe at the amount of shit my dad and my grandpa were on when they were still alive. My dad couldn't even keep track of all of his meds, he had to have help from my mom.

The title of the article states "Every medication we know Trump takes, and what they're for" .. I believe there are many things we don't know and likely never will know.

Also, I recommend people google "Candyman Ronny Jackson" who was the "White House Physician" for the most recent three U.S. Presidential administrations. I believe his title is now "Assistant to the President and Chief Medical Advisor", a new position in the Executive Office.

Roseanne has more wrong with her than ambien...

You know, I was your average hippy chick pot smoker since around '76 at around 14 but was way too physically sensitive to all the chemicals my friends tried over the years..I found this out from being sensitive to my Drs meds.

Much later when a gp was trying to convince me my first benzo was perfectly safe, I remembered a Rosanne episode where they were joking around annoy Xanax . I thought since it was ago funny there couldn't be anything that dangerous about it.....

Now look at me ..ugh.. What a trip.

I was watching a new Netflix series and the mother is being told by the principal that Lorazepam is "very good" after her kid gets caught dealing it.  WTF?  We are glorifying a drug that ruins lives now?  SO PISSED.

Stevie Nicks said, “ Klonopin, more deadly than Coke.”

Yes espetially if you take 18 pills 2 mg like her.

She took 36mg at once?  ???