Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Anyone come off benzo and anti-depressant at same time?

[Zu...]

Having major depression, anxiety, obsessive thoughts...much, much worse before I was ever on an AD or benzo.

Anyone come off both at nearly the same time? 

I was on Cymbalta for 3 months and Pristiq for about 5 months prior to that for depression/anxiety.  Both were horrible coming on and off.  Couldn't tolerate the side effects.  Last tapered dose of Cymbalta was Dec 15.  Started tapering off Ativan Dec. 26.  Last crumb was about 1 1/2 wks ago. 

Feeling so absolutely nuts.  Anxiety through the roof and very depressed.  Can anyone relate??  Has anyone gotten through both? 

Thank you so much for your help.

A few months after my CT from Klonopin I decided to go off my Lexepro, BIG MISTAKE!  It got pretty dark and scary, so I went back on it and things got a little better.  After I healed I went off the Lexepro, no problem.  Are you currently on an A/D?

I CTd zoloft and xanax on the same day as alcohol, non of it prescribed, all of it abused.

It was a nightmare,  now at 6 months out I am a lot better but still not right.

A few months after my CT from Klonopin I decided to go off my Lexepro, BIG MISTAKE!  It got pretty dark and scary, so I went back on it and things got a little better.  After I healed I went off the Lexepro, no problem.  Are you currently on an A/D?

Just 3 weeks into St. John's Wort.  A/D's have been sooooo hard on me starting up, staying on, and going off.  How long were you on Lexapro before you went off the first time?  Yes, things are pretty scary:  depressed, spaced out feeling, anxiety, looping thoughts, fear.    I feel  totally brain-damaged and feel that I will be "stuck" this way.  I'm reluctant to jump back on another AD, but this depression is terrible.

Also, as I was tapering the Cymbalta, things weren't so bad.  It wasn't until I started tapering the Ativan when things really got terrible and the depression/anxiety set in big time.

I was on Lexepro for many years, and had no trouble on it, it sounds like you've not had good luck with A/D's.  You might want to do a forum search about St Johns Wort to see how others have been affected by it during withdrawal. 

What you're feeling is benzo withdrawal, so if you're not good on A/D's just try to understand as much as you can about what you're experiencing, hopefully this will lessen your fear.  I found that reading chapter 3 of the Ashton manual helped me to understand why I was feeling the way I was, plus seeing the symptoms in black and white validated them for me.

You're not brain damaged, none of this is permanent, it all just magically goes away, but it takes way too long.

Ugh....Thinking about going back on an AD, but I'm sooooo scared!  But I'm scared being this depressed and anxious, too!  I'm 2 1/2 weeks being off last crumb of Ativan (after 4 months of being on it almost every day).  And 1 1/2 months after going off Cymbalta.  Things are really bad: Constant anxiety, obsessive thoughts, deep depression.  I want to just weather the storm without starting an AD, but I can't handle it anymore.  AD's have been pretty hard on me and I'm so afraid to start one again, knowing that the start up will ramp up the anxiety and possibly give me more god-awful side-effects.  I'm currently on St. John's Wort, but it doesn't seem to be helping much.  I don't know what to do!!! 

I hate to see you go back on it too, since you have so much trouble with antidepressants.  If you're severely depressed then it would be a good idea to get back on it, but if you go on it to try to help with the others symptoms, I doubt it'll do much good, nothing does.  :(

Hi Zugora,

Just wanted to let you know that I was on benzos the same amount of time as you. I was really suffering at your time off. I felt REALLY bad too. Anxiety, bad thoughts, depression, insomnia and MUCH more. I am feeling much better now, time was what helped me. I know that it is so hard and that you feel like you may never heal, but you really will. One thing that really helped me was walking. It got me out of the house and eased my mind a bit.

Thinking of you,

birdie

Thank you.  I would say that I'm pretty majorly depressed, looping/obsessive thoughts, terrible anxiety, brain fog, fatigue, heart palps, and feeling kinda sick (sore throat/cold that won't go away).

I have no motivation and I'm not working right now.  Everything is a huge chore, including getting through the day.  Don't feel like socializing.  What I am doing is:  going to accupuncture 1-2/week (thank goodness it's covered by insurance), yoga class twice a week, walking, seeing my therapist, making lists of projects to do around the house to distract myself, some artwork. 

Hi Zugora,

The A/D could help with the depression, but I doubt it will do anything for the rest of your symptoms, "looping/obsessive thoughts, terrible anxiety, brain fog, fatigue, heart palps, and feeling kinda sick (sore throat/cold that won't go away)"  In fact it can exacerbate some of them.

It sounds like you're able to function somewhat, I'd hate to see you make things worse, however if you're in danger of hurting yourself, then please take whatever action is necessary. 

When I cut my Lexapro in half, I had a horrible crash three weeks later.  I thought it was all benzo withdrawals.  I finally gave in and reinstated back to my original Lexapro dose.  I started to feel so much better soon after.  You might want to talk to your doctor about reinstating your antidepressant.  The side effects are really lousy, they were for me too.  But it may be worth it in your case.  Hope you feel better.

Draftsman