What’s so bad about lifelong Benzo use? What made you want to quit?

[Pe...]

What made me want to quit?

There's actually a temazepam shortage due to manufacturing delays!  The capsule I've been on many years is getting very difficult to find.  I have to search all the pharmacies in my area for a particular capsule (I had a bad reaction to the replacement capsule by a different manufacturer).

Much too stressful. 

So I thought I'd taper down before it's unavailable.  And...that's a good thing.

~gen

My story.

These are good questions. I was put on Clonazepam in 2007, .050 mg as needed,  after a divorce since I was experience problems with anxiety and sleep. I've always had horrible sleep issues and was told this was a non- addictive drug.

I continued to take it as it would help me sleep even though I hated getting used to it then I finally did. I had a lot things happen in my life but never felt like I didn't deal with them, death of a Sister and Dad, relationships, jobs, moving, etc.

So, however, I have read the studies as well. I think my big concern is the dementia that can be a risk. Its now 12 years later. This is my 8th attempt to stop..a few years ago I was able to cut down to .25 mgs and hold until now. My decision to not get completely off is i wanted to feel well enough to enjoy an upcoming trip, wedding, etc.

Now I have been able to cut down to .12 mgs but a few days I take more...since we all know its not fun. I know some people criticize up dosing but they can go to ...I'll listen to my own body.

We have longevity in our family so at 50, I feel I have health decisions to make. I'm going to try to answer some of the questions posted that are listed below:

If benzos are this difficult to come off of then it must be bad for you, Right? or is your brain now just reprogrammed? What if you keep feeding it benzos for life?

I hate the thought of having to feed myself something because I hit a plateau, and refuse to take more the medicine. Or just to take something in order to prevent the withdrawl process. Yes, it does reprogram your brain.

Whats considered a high dose of Clonazapam? What if you took 0.5mg daily for the next 40 years?

Some people think any does it too high. I know realize even taking this amount if a lot for the brain. I think if there was evidence that it would cause no damage then I would probably be more comfortable taking it.

What studies really rocked your world and changed your way of thinking?

The threat of loosing your mind was enough to rock my world since its really dictates what type of life you will live by the decisions you make. I think its hard to find any positive results on long term use. Other than its a very old drug that has been used for treatment resistant depression.

There are pros and cons. If I had debilitating anxiety and this drug kept me functional then I would be more willing to stay and take the risk because at least in those years you will experience productivity instead of not functioning. I see people all the time that could benefit from medications and life I believe better lives. Mental illness is not easy for many people and that is usually what they prescribe benzos and antidepressants for. If it can keep someone alive then I'm all for it.

for now I'm holding at .12 mg indefinitely ;)

Dawn

JMK- thanks for sharing your story.  This really resonates with me.  I am feeling my emotions for the first time in many years.  I had many surprises as I tapered down.  There were many parts of my life and things I thought were my anxiety disorder or just part of me, that actually were from taking benzos.  Good luck with your taper.