Liquid taper help

[GV...]

Everyone is different.  You have to put your information in the plan for it to figure it. I put in some information and came up with 7 months and 8 days.  But, keep in mind that you could have setbacks where it will take longer or not.

What I put in was:

.5 clonazepam

1 dose a day @.5 (I'm assuming you just want one dose).

10 tablets to dissolve

50 mg. liquid which gives the suggested concentration of 0.1

5% cut every 14 days (You can choose what you want on that, a percentage or a mg., but it isn't advised to do more than 10% every 14 days).  Slow and steady wins the race, so they say.

first dose first

combine with tablets: yes  (I was told that it's best to do it because sometimes the body has to adjust to the liquid from the tabs).

So if you were to start Monday, the ending date would be October 19.

But, these numbers might not be what you want, so play with the plan, plug in different numbers (I did) and come up with what will work best for you.

After reading your information carefully. I finally understand it. How long do you think its going to take to stop taking meds if i stick to your schedule??

Ok.....thanks. every time i try doing this is so stressful. I just dont get how to do it. Once again i want to taper from .5 klonopin. Anybody??

I'm new at this and also was so confused, so I know where you're coming from.  Here are two links, one for Benzodiazepine Liquid Taper Help and the second one is the Benzodiazepine Taper Plan.  The plan figures out all the numbers for you which is so much simpler. I use whole milk for my taper.

http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/titration/titrationHelp.htm?help=Help

http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/titration/titrationForm.php

After you look it over, let me know if I can help you and I will do my best to do so.

Most people on this site say do not cut pills for a partial liquid taper, that is what makes this system confusing. I have to use a 5 mg pill out of three 5 mg pills a day, the chart shows to dose a certain amount of liquid while taking 3/4 of a pill at the same time for one of the doses.  Then take the other two doses in pill form at regular strength. Maybe this chart and method is just not right for me., because I don't get it. I take 15 mg valium in three 5 mg pill form daily.  Can someone explain to me how to start a DLMT with one of the 5 mg  pills while still taking the other two in pill form throughout the day without having to cut a pill?

Ok.....thanks. every time i try doing this is so stressful. I just dont get how to do it. Once again i want to taper from .5 klonopin. Anybody??

I'm new at this and also was so confused, so I know where you're coming from.  Here are two links, one for Benzodiazepine Liquid Taper Help and the second one is the Benzodiazepine Taper Plan.  The plan figures out all the numbers for you which is so much simpler. I use whole milk for my taper.

http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/titration/titrationHelp.htm?help=Help

http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/titration/titrationForm.php

After you look it over, let me know if I can help you and I will do my best to do so.

Most people on this site say do not cut pills for a partial liquid taper, that is what makes this system confusing. I have to use a 5 mg pill out of three 5 mg pills a day, the chart shows to dose a certain amount of liquid while taking 3/4 of a pill at the same time for one of the doses.  Then take the other two doses in pill form at regular strength. Maybe this chart and method is just not right for me., because I don't get it. I take 15 mg valium in three 5 mg pill form daily.  Can someone explain to me how to start a DLMT with one of the 5 mg  pills while still taking the other two in pill form throughout the day without having to cut a pill?

Okay, I think I know what you mean because I had the same issue due to my benzo being a capsule.  With help, I was told NOT to choose 'combine with tablets' on the plan.  So, your 1st dose will be liquid that tapers each day and the other two doses will be 5 mg each in pill form.  So, just ignore doses 2 and 3 as ml and substitute the pills.

I hope that makes sense.

As far as cutting pills with a partial liquid taper, I just don't know.

Thanks CAgirl, that made the chart make much more sense.

The only problem is that it has me drinking 494.64 ml of liquid for the 1st dose.  Even if I go to two doses a day and split that, it would still be drinking 247.32 ml twice a day along with the other two 5 mg pills.

I know I am new to this, but that sounds like a lot to drink.  It may not be, but never doing it is kind of scary.

It seems like most people are at a much lower dose before they start DLMT, but with 5mg pills, I son't know how I would dry cut and to be honest I really don't want to get into dry cutting.

I may just have to hold at 15 mg for a month and then see if my Dr will split my scrip between 5 mg and 2 mg.

jojodancer,

I'm new at this, too, and definitely still learning.

That's way too much liquid to work with. From what I've learned, you can pretty much use any volume of liquid as long as you have enough to draw up.  I put in your valium with 3 doses at 5 mg each, 10 tablets to dissolve (not sure how much you want to make ahead) and 100 ml of liquid. Your 1st dose would be 9.89 ml.  One of the buddies told me that the concentration doesn't have to be 0.1 as suggested if that is where the large amount of liquid stems from.  Even with 500 ml, the 1st dose would only be 49.46.

It's been said that the liquid taper is the best way to go, but I guess we all have to find the best way for us.  As one buddie stated, "We're kind of like lab rats."

I am going to try and send you a link to a taper spreadsheet I found.  There is a lot of information on this website, but just for now look at the "Get Spreadsheet" and "View PowerPoint"instructions that is in the brown print at the top of the page.  You may have already seen this before, but to me, it makes a whole lot more sense when using pills and liquid or just all liquid.

It tells you your daily % drop, 2 week % drop, cumulative drop over time and dates.  And it lets you choose how slow you want to taper.  I think it is easier to read and understand than the one I keep seeing on this forum.

If I don't copy the link correctly, let me know. I am still getting use to how to use this forum's tools. Let me know what you think of the program.

http://www.benzosupport.org/the_spreadsheet.htm

I am going to try and send you a link to a taper spreadsheet I found.  There is a lot of information on this website, but just for now look at the "Get Spreadsheet" and "View PowerPoint"instructions that is in the brown print at the top of the page.  You may have already seen this before, but to me, it makes a whole lot more sense when using pills and liquid or just all liquid.

It tells you your daily % drop, 2 week % drop, cumulative drop over time and dates.  And it lets you choose how slow you want to taper.  I think it is easier to read and understand than the one I keep seeing on this forum.

If I don't copy the link correctly, let me know. I am still getting use to how to use this forum's tools. Let me know what you think of the program.

http://www.benzosupport.org/the_spreadsheet.htm

I have looked at the information, but never very closely. It looks good but right now, it's a little overwhelming to me.  I'm used to what I'm doing, a creature of habit.  Of course, a month ago, I was overwhelmed with it, too.  I will look it over more as it does seems to have a lot of good information on it to help us during the taper.

One thing that the buddies advise is not to toss the medication, which is a good thing not to waste it.  What I have left, I use the next day and as I get further down, I'll have more to use up.  So, what the Ashton site tells to toss, I guess one could save it as well.  It also lists water with valium and the benzos aren't water soluble, but that can be fixed with another form of liquid.

The one I'm using pretty much tells the same thing.  Doesn't it to you?  It doesn't tell the daily percent drop, but I know I'm dropping 5% every 14 days if I don't have to waiver much from the schedule I have.  So far I haven't with today starting the 4th week on the plan. 

Keep us posted as to how you are doing and thanks for reminding me about this link.  I saw it weeks ago, but was way too confused in the beginning with just about everything I read and now, maybe it will make a lot more sense when I spend some time reading all the information.

There isn't really any science to back up the milk method, but it works for a lot of people. The idea is that, since the drug is fat soluble, the drug will bind to the fat molecules in the milk, which are fairly evenly distributed. All benzos are somewhat fat soluble, though oxazepam is one of the least fat soluble of them.[/color]

Yes, there is, and you already explained it.  Benzos are highly lipid (fat) soluble, and will readily dissolve in any fatty emulsion...dairy milk, soy "milk", almond "milk", etc.

And the benzo dissolves, the same as it would i n alcohol or PG.  It really doesn't "bind" to the fat molecules.

There isn't really any science to back up the milk method, but it works for a lot of people. The idea is that, since the drug is fat soluble, the drug will bind to the fat molecules in the milk, which are fairly evenly distributed. All benzos are somewhat fat soluble, though oxazepam is one of the least fat soluble of them.[/color]

Yes, there is, and you already explained it.  Benzos are highly lipid (fat) soluble, and will readily dissolve in any fatty emulsion...dairy milk, soy "milk", almond "milk", etc.

And the benzo dissolves, the same as it would i n alcohol or PG.  It really doesn't "bind" to the fat molecules.

I hadn't a clue. I just copied and pasted exactly what I was told. 

Thank you.

Well thanks for asking. Im trying to switch over from Roche brand to Solco........but its not feeling to good. Im on .5 once daily at night and i cant sleep with Solco brand. Im thinking of just starting to taper off the Roche brand. Cause im not sure how long it takes to stabalize from one to another. Any suggestions??

Well thanks for asking. Im trying to switch over from Roche brand to Solco........but its not feeling to good. Im on .5 once daily at night and i cant sleep with Solco brand. Im thinking of just starting to taper off the Roche brand. Cause im not sure how long it takes to stabalize from one to another. Any suggestions??

I don't know anything about that or klonopin.  My oxazepam is an older drug and not very widely used in the US, so I'm told.  I do remember 20 years ago when I was switched from ativan to oxazepam, I didn't have any trouble.  I'm sorry you're not feeling too well and I know that's discouraging when you want off this stuff.  Hang in there.  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Can somebody let me know how to use Ora Plus??

Google is your friend! ;)

"• Calculate the total amount of active ingredient and volume of solution needed to create a suspension ofthe proper concentration. (Calculations are providedin the examples to the left.) It may be wise to add approximately 10% overage for compounding losses.•  Crush tablets with a mortar and pestle to a fine powder. If the compound is already in the powder form, use the mortar and pestle to smooth out the powder.•  Add a small amount of ORA-Plus and triturate to  a thick, smooth paste. Add the remainder of the ORA-Plus by geometric dilution. The amount of ORA-Plus should be 50% of the total solution.•  Bring the suspension to a final volume using ORA-Sweet*. Mix briefly with a mortar and pestle until a uniform suspension is formed.•  Dispense in a tight, light resistant amber bottle with appropriate labeling.•  Label with an expiration date. If the stability of  the medication in an oral suspension or syrup is unknown, conservative dating is suggested.•  Depending on the medicinal agent used, label containers “Shake Well Before Using”, “Protect From Light”, and “Keep Refrigerated”.*

https://www.perrigo.com/files/rx/pdfs/pds173-ORA-Plus.pdf