Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Other countries do it better I suppose

[Bl...]

I just spoke with my aunt who lives in Paris, France.  She has been a psychiatrist there for 40 years.  I don't know if this is a European thing or my Aunt's personal preference but she said that she never prescribes benzos to a patient for more than a year and she always makes sure that any withdrawal after that is given 50% taper for every day of use. In other words, one month use = 2 weeks taper. 6 months use = 3 month taper.  1 year use = 6 months taper. 

I just found it interesting that doctors in Europe are well aware of the danger of benzos and use them with the utmost caution.  If only I had known before.

--Bluegus

Bluegus,

That is better than some docs here, but it doesn't take long term use to cause horrible sx's. There are people on this board that suffer long term effects after just a few weeks of use. I hit tolerance at about 4-5 months of xanax and am still in a hole that I can't climb out of.

The proper way to prescribe benzos would be to educate the patient on the dangers of w/d, and then prescribe 14 pills at most on an 'as needed' basis if they decide to still use them.

Having said that, I'm sure that there are situations that warrant the regular use of benzos, but only in extreme circumstances. Doctors here prescribe them for months for mild anxiety and insomnia..  crazy.

Jeff M.

Jeff,

The point I was trying to make is that other countries seem to go into it with more understanding.  There is a clear understanding that 1) there will be a for-certain stop date; 2)  benzos are not a permanent fix and are for temporary use only; 3) the knowledge of the withdrawals is utilized in the prescription process.

How many times have we read on here of people being on benzos for 20 years?  Obviously, those doctors wrote the prescriptions without any escape plan.  This country seems bent on medicating people.

Caveat -- I know there are legitimate purposes for these drugs and I shouldn't be second guessing doctors BUT there is also an appropriate purpose for explosives.  Doesn't mean they should be given to everyone with nobody educated about the part that goes BOOM.

The more I read and research benzos, it certainly seems that doctors in countries other than the US seem to have a better understanding of what these awful drugs do to us.

Not sure why that is.... ???

Jeff,

The point I was trying to make is that other countries seem to go into it with more understanding.  There is a clear understanding that 1) there will be a for-certain stop date; 2)  benzos are not a permanent fix and are for temporary use only; 3) the knowledge of the withdrawals is utilized in the prescription process.

How many times have we read on here of people being on benzos for 20 years?  Obviously, those doctors wrote the prescriptions without any escape plan.  This country seems bent on medicating people.

Caveat -- I know there are legitimate purposes for these drugs and I shouldn't be second guessing doctors BUT there is also an appropriate purpose for explosives.  Doesn't mean they should be given to everyone with nobody educated about the part that goes BOOM.

Agreed...

legos,

That is horrifying!  The more I learn about this drug the more upset I get.  I am getting really close to suing.

--Bluegus

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Blue

What does your Aunt say the prognosis for 100% healing is.  And recovery time. 

I know that Europe is way ahead of the ballgame here.  So has there been anymore research since Ashton?

Hey believe,

My aunt states that healing to 100% definitely occurs.  As for time frame, though, she doesn't have any real experience with long term benzo use.  Her experience has been with patients for whom she has provided proper medical care.  She refuses to put anyone on benzos long term so her patient recovery times are of course much less.

--Bluegus

How many times have we read on here of people being on benzos for 20 years?  Obviously, those doctors wrote the prescriptions without any escape plan. 

Exactly!  Regarding a benzo concern I had once, a doctor replied: "dont worry about tomorrow,  If they help you now/today, just take them!" and  "worry about tomorrows taper tomorrow!"

omg - its horrible!