Important Survey - Please Participate ×

New puppy causing anxiety and stress

[ve...]

Hiya.  Got a puppy last Sunday at the Humane Society animal shelter.  It's revved up my anxiety and is interrupting my sleep which I worked so hard in the last year to get back.  I thought I'd post something here about it.  I used to have a dog who died four years ago.  My wife and son have wanted one for a couple years but I was in the middle of a valium taper in 2009 and spent much of 2010 helping my elderly father who has cancer as well as recuperating from Shingles and the post benzo healing in the 12 months off benzos did not make me want to have a dog and the added stress.  Was feeling about 95% the last couple months though so took the plunge back into dog ownership almost a week ago and it's been a stressful situation.  

He's a 9 month old puppy, Shepherd/collie mix who came out of the shelter with some health problems (worms, ear infection, vomiting, and now has kennel cough).  He's not housebroken yet and he's got to be watched all the time.  I know the stress should calm down as we all get used to this new life with a pet again, but I hope it's not too long before he's house broken.  Anyone out there with a dog/puppy know how long I might expect it to take to housebrake the dog?  Any suggestions as to how to deal with the stress?  What was I thinking to get a puppy?

Vertigo (no more)

can't advise you on the housebreaking. you should have gotten a kitten  ha ha just kiddin.      the thing is that this stress from the transition is only temporary, and the dog will actually be a calming and consoling factor long term.  I imagine he will be housebroken soon when you figure the best way to do it and then you will be really glad you have your loving pet.  hang in there with your puppy,  I do know they are pretty wired and antsy when young    Flick

Google "crate training",  it works!

For me having my sweet dog (yellow lab) helped me so much.  I would just sit outside and be so sick and all I could do is sit there and she would lay her sweet little head on my lap. I coudn't even pet her but she didn't care, she was there for me, not the other way around.

Crate training is absolutely the way to go.  Works wonderfully.  And if you start to think that it's inhumane because of the space confines, just remember that dogs actually enjoy the confined space.  It makes them feel safe. 

--Bluegus

Ideally, you don't want them crated all day.  If you're crating them all day and night they feel neglected.  I was fortunate enough when my Olde English Bulldog was a puppy to be able to be home a lot.  That way, he didn't need to be in the crate all day.  During those times, we made sure to always have someone near the dog when he wasn't in his crate.  At the first sign of needing to go the bathroom, we sent him outside.

--Bluegus

I would crate my puppy and take him out to potty and when he did then I would let him stay out of the crate for about a couple of hours ATTENDED (don't let your guard down) , then he had to go back in until the next time. So basically his reward for pottying outside was being free of the crate for a bit. 

Be sure if it potty's on the floor to quickly pick it up, take it outside to see if it goes more, and then back in the crate if he doesn't potty outside.

Thanks.  How long can you leave a dog in a crate during the day?  He sleeps in a crate at night for now.

Vertigo

Shepherd/Collie mix  :smitten:

I've always known not to leave them in a crate for longer than 4 hours. Dogs can be house trained in about a week or so, you can take him out every few hours and praise him when he goes, they get the idea pretty quick.

Can you post a pic of your new pup? I'd love to see him.  :)

• 4 weeks later...

Vertigo,

Your dog is probably as stressed as you. I got a cat who had been abandoned multiple times she was/is possessive and a ball of energy. She woke me up every hour of the night! Nearly drove me nuts.

Now of I am not going to recommend a benzo for your dog because then we'd have to argue about how best to do a c/o to Valium for the dog. Long story short, the vet put my cat on clonacalm which is a nonaddictive antidepressant for dogs and cats. I had her on it for about 70 days. She's still nuts but she has adapted to my life and routine. She is med-free now. Maybe ask your vet about Clonicalm. Worked wonders for me cat.

• 1 month later...

Funny thing is our last dog was a nervous nellie and we had to sedate him for the cross country flight back in the nineties.  He made it fine.  Our puppy is actually pretty calm, just a puppy and will grow out of it.  Already is showing signs of being a great future citizen :thumbsup:.

V

No benzos for the pup!

I had a dog that was afraid of fireworks. She took one med a year on July 4th or she would go bonkers. :)

Luckily that once a year dosage did not get her hooked.

True story.

TC

Yes TC my cat showed no signs of addiction. I tried cold turkey like five times so I would've known. :D

If I ever caught my dog going through the medicine cabinet, I would have had to lecture her. ;)

TC

• 4 weeks later...

HA HA,

LOL i thought it would be a great idea to buy myself a chowowa cross foxy whilst on 6 mlgs of xanax! Well ive just started tappering and im starting to think "man this is quite a responsibility". The dog GOD BLESS IT is lovely but when shes not crated shes climbing all over me! Sometimes i think about giving her some xanax so shed just chill while im going through tapering. And i often resent her becuase i have to walk her twice a day etc, but i live alone and am single and i think ive been so iscolated for so long that its good to be talking to the dog, even if it is occassional yelling.... good 4 the lungs

lyn!

HA HA,

LOL i thought it would be a great idea to buy myself a chowowa cross foxy whilst on 6 mlgs of xanax! Well ive just started tappering and im starting to think "man this is quite a responsibility". The dog GOD BLESS IT is lovely but when shes not crated shes climbing all over me! Sometimes i think about giving her some xanax so shed just chill while im going through tapering. And i often resent her becuase i have to walk her twice a day etc, but i live alone and am single and i think ive been so iscolated for so long that its good to be talking to the dog, even if it is occassional yelling.... good 4 the lungs

lyn!

HA HA,

lyn!

It sounds like your dog is going to be a wonderful companion to you during your taper, so you should really treasure the love and warmth she has to offer you, especially as walking her every day will be of great benefit to you as you heal and recover.  Walking has been such a blessing to me as I've healed, and I would have dearly loved to have had a friendly, furry companion to accompany me.  You are very lucky indeed  :)

• 2 weeks later...
[8b...]

I find pets to be a comfort.

I have a Miniature Schnauzer, Golden Retriever, and a Orange Tabby.

The Miniature Schnauzer, she's always on the go around the house.. they are alert dogs, what they are.

It's as if she has a radar on the top of her head ..  ::)

S#