Important Survey - Please Participate ×

How do you guys feel about antidepressants?

[Ka...]

I've been considering taking antidepressants as a last resort for not being able to handle my depression. I was looking for some insight and opinions.

I've been considering taking antidepressants as a last resort for not being able to handle my depression. I was looking for some insight and opinions.

They can be helpful for some, and they are contentious on this forum.  Hope you have a good doc or other medical people who you can talk to about the implications.

I have seen judicious use of medications do wonders.

My two cents

Hoping for the best for you

SS

I think if I had just used my antidepressant for a short time only way back, 18 years ago, I may have never been in this mess.  I think they have the potential to help but be careful and have a plan to get off within a short-time frame somewhere around 4 months or so is what comes to mind but I haven't researched them in a long time.  Suggest to avoid altogether if you can.

ADs helped me a lot, but it was years ago way prior to benzos.  Also, I was very young then, so maybe the body was more receptive.  I'm in my 40s now and tried AD last year that I had before, but it didn't work this time around.  For me, the depression from benzos lifted eventually, AD or not. 

I've tried multiple a/d's and none worked for me even those i responded to in the past since I've been on V. I've been through SSRI's SNRI's, TCA's, antipsychotics. It was my reaction to an SSRI that got me hooked on rx'd V.