• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [In...]

• [Du...]

• [NJ...]

• [Li...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi group. I just wanted to say, I definitely had a major struggle when my teva switched to another brand.  I think there are many others out there and I’m so glad there is a group because I was searching the Internet and while I did find a few people with the same issue, I didn’t even know there was a whole group devoted to it here.  It’s just awful how it was discontinued without any regard for the people who were totally dependent on it.  I’m on activis now and it’s definitely less potent and made my taper so problematic.  Now I just hope to continue getting off of it, for good.  Thanks for the group.

Hi group. I just wanted to say, I definitely had a major struggle when my teva switched to another brand.  I think there are many others out there and I’m so glad there is a group because I was searching the Internet and while I did find a few people with the same issue, I didn’t even know there was a whole group devoted to it here.  It’s just awful how it was discontinued without any regard for the people who were totally dependent on it.  I’m on activis now and it’s definitely less potent and made my taper so problematic.  Now I just hope to continue getting off of it, for good.  Thanks for the group.

Saige,

Welcome to this group or as Libertas says “Welcome to the I’ve been Switched Group.”

I started out on Actavis clonazepam a few years back, and it worked fine for me. But since then, I have been switched myself from the Actavis to Sandoz to Actavis to Sandoz to Actavis and now to the Teva Orally Disintegrating Tablets USP.

I have found that Teva ODTs work well. We are all different so what works for one may not work for someone else. If you are taking the Actavis and are finding it to be a weaker clonazepam you can let your blood level drop by just continuing to take it exactly where you are in your taper and stop tapering it until you feel no w/d sx. But I understand how you feel- we all just want off clonazepam completely.

Thanks, Intend!

Libertas,

I posted in the “withdrawl support during your taper”section by modifying my initial reply. And I think I should document that here also.

So when I looked at the FDA orange book the first time, I saw that all the ODTs by Teva, Par, and Sun were still available. Then I noticed there was a second page. And when I looked on that second page I saw that the branded Klonopin made by Hoffman la Roche (subsidiary Genentech who makes branded Klonopin) have discontinued the .125 mg tablet and the .25 mg tablet. Also discontinued are the Klonopin ODTS in strengths .125 mg, .25 mg, .5 mg, 1 mg, and the 2 mg.

I think this is the best place to document this kind of information.

Thanks intend!  That’s good to know. I was concerned that each pill might have varying amounts of medicine in them and therefore make a taper difficult

UGH! About a month on Solco brand and I'm still not adjusting, in fact I feel like I'm getting worse,...

I took it for about 3 months back in the summer when TEVA was back ordered, really no huge issues...

Why is it not working now?!

I cant taper like this and I'm screwed because I just lost my job/cant work

I have enough money to pay for insurance for the rest of the year but it'll take up most of my savings...

I would just start tapering but my heartrate is really high even with beta blockers,...

UGH! About a month on Solco brand and I'm still not adjusting, in fact I feel like I'm getting worse,...

I took it for about 3 months back in the summer when TEVA was back ordered, really no huge issues...

I have enough money to pay for insurance for the rest of the year but it'll take up most of my savings...

I would just start tapering but my heartrate is really high even with beta blockers,...

Hi Byrjun. I'm so sorry you are still going through this.  :( I think I might know how you feel. I still haven't adjusted after getting back on Accord brand. It seems as if the Actavis brand messed me up. I really hope you start feeling better.

Hi Byrjun. I'm so sorry you are still going through this.  :( I think I might know how you feel. I still haven't adjusted after getting back on Accord brand. It seems as if the Actavis brand messed me up. I really hope you start feeling better.

Hey snoball, good to see ya ...as much as its good to see someone on a board like this  :smitten:

It honestly feels like it isnt working at all anymore

My doc wont switch me to valium, I'm a rapid metabolizer or something according to my genesight...

I'm thinking of asking about Dalmane, and crossing over and hoping to stabilize on that, and then taper. Its a capsule with powder and thats easier for me to deal with too...or at least I think it will be?

Byr,

What is your beta blocker?  Just like benzos, they are not all the same. They may differ by generic brand and by type. Go to google and type in “what kinds of different beta blockers are there?”

The list I got has 17 names of different beta blockers.

And possibly, you can try these ODTs. The ones I know of are made by Teva, Par, and Sun pharmaceuticals. 

Hey snoball, good to see ya ...as much as its good to see someone on a board like this  :smitten:

It honestly feels like it isnt working at all anymore

My doc wont switch me to valium, I'm a rapid metabolizer or something according to my genesight...

I'm thinking of asking about Dalmane, and crossing over and hoping to stabilize on that, and then taper. Its a capsule with powder and thats easier for me to deal with too...or at least I think it will be?

Howdy friend! Lol But, yeah...I know what you mean. I was rapidly metabolizing the Actavis brand. I was having interdose between doses. I still get some. I guess Dalmane has a long half life? I sure can understand why you might go that route being that you're not doing well on the clonazepam. If you do, I'll be pulling for you. Let me know how it goes for ya.  :)

Snowy :)

Byr,

What is your beta blocker?  Just like benzos, they are not all the same. They may differ by generic brand and by type. Go to google and type in “what kinds of different beta blockers are there?”

The list I got has 17 names of different beta blockers.

And possibly, you can try these ODTs. The ones I know of are made by Teva, Par, and Sun pharmaceuticals.

The ODTs from TEVA gave me hives, I tried them in acute, not sure why I wouldve gotten hives though?

Ive taken metoprolol xr since I was a teen, before benzos. I might need to talk to my cardiologist about a diff beta blocker

Byr,

That is exactly what I was thinking.

I don’t take a beta blocker myself, but my husband does. He takes carvedilol. I just read that it is a combination alpha/beta blocker.

I am not a doctor myself, but I have read that there are differences in these beta blockers. Speaking with your cardiologist is a very good idea.

Just going to add here, Byr, I forgot that the ODTs had given you hives when I suggested those. Sorry about that.

Byr,

That is exactly what I was thinking.

I don’t take a beta blocker myself, but my husband does. He takes carvedilol. I just read that it is a combination alpha/beta blocker.

I am not a doctor myself, but I have read that there are differences in these beta blockers. Speaking with your cardiologist is a very good idea.

Just going to add here, Byr, I forgot that the ODTs had given you hives when I suggested those. Sorry about that.

Don't apologize silly!!

You help so many people here and are so active in the forums no way I would expect you to remember that!  :smitten:

I’m on carvedilol and it used to work well. Now I take it and my heart goes into the 90s. It’s like my CNS doesn’t want anything that is a brake on it. I’ll have another drug to taper off after the K taper.

Just be careful with the beta blockers they aren’t lite drugs and have their own strange side effects some of them mental. If you need them for your heart they are generally safe though although cardiologists are no longer using them as a first line of defense for arrhythmia and blood pressure anymore.

Trust,

My husband does not have arrhythmia. He has something called atrial flutter.

His was treated with catheter ablation in 2013 I believe. His cardiologist is part of group practice that is specialized in electrophysiology, nuclear cardiology and surgery.

He has regular checks on this from the cardiologist and from his GP. By regular, I mean every 3 months between seeing both. I have every confidence that both of them know what they are doing.

If the time comes that he needs to change from cardivedilol to another alpha/beta blocker, or a beta blocker alone, I do think that his cardiologist will know what to do.

But I do appreciate your advice and help.

And Trust, I was just going to add that beta blockers  are selective and non selective which means some target certain parts of the heart while others target the heart in general.

Excuse me everyone, just a quick message to Intend.  I miss you  :smitten: , 2nd surgery 3/5, wish me luck 🍀 Kisses and pets to Dan and Pepper, luv ya , 🌹🌹🌹.  ⚒🛠🔩🔧.    🐈🐾🐾

Mary,

I was reading that you had finally made it back!

One eye 👁 done and the other one coming up on 3/5/10 as you say.

I miss you too, but don’t what I can do about that. 💦 💧

You know I wish you luck; as much luck as possible which is a lot. ☘️ ☘️ ☘️

Dan is doing ok, and little Pepper is doing ok. Still getting her fur balls, but we’re doing better at keeping them from making her so sick.

Soon your vision will be perfect. Wish I could say that. I will the same surgery myself in a couple of years. Best wishes to you and your hubby, Tim. Love your forever. 🌹 🌹 🌹 🔨 🔧 🔨 🐱 🐈

Mary,

I was reading that you had finally made it back!

One eye 👁 done and the other one coming up on 3/5/10 as you say.

I miss you too, but don’t what I can do about that. 💦 💧

You know I wish you luck; as much luck as possible which is a lot. ☘️ ☘️ ☘️

Dan is doing ok, and little Pepper is doing ok. Still getting her fur balls, but we’re doing better at keeping them from making her so sick.

Soon your vision will be perfect. Wish I could say that. I will the same surgery myself in a couple of years. Best wishes to you and your hubby, Tim. Love your forever. 🌹 🌹 🌹 🔨 🔧 🔨 🐱 🐈

Right back at ya 🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

I haven't yet switched to the odts.I seen a post in the withdrawal support someone asked if the odts hit faster and wear off quicker.Thoughts please and thank you.

onemoretry,

Mine work the same as the regular tablets of Teva.

They dissolve in the oral cavity (mouth) with salivary enzymes which is the same way regular tablets dissolve.

I haven't yet switched to the odts.I seen a post in the withdrawal support someone asked if the odts hit faster and wear off quicker.Thoughts please and thank you.

I can only share my experience, but for me, the Teva ODTs do hit harder, faster, and have a shorter duration of action than the compounded suspension I was using.

Ms Intend,I dose twice a day.Do you think I'll be able to stay at 2 times?Or will I have to increase dose frequency?

Ms Intend,I dose twice a day.Do you think I'll be able to stay at 2 times?Or will I have to increase dose frequency?

onemoretry,

I have always taken clonazepam twice a day with no interdose withdrawl. And I’m taking these ODTs twice per day with no interdose withdrawl.

I think it depends on the individual. Generally speaking, I think a persons CNS gets used to a dosing schedule of any type of medication, and it’s probably best to stay with that schedule.

I have known individuals who take their clonazepam dose only at night before bedtime and do fine. Others do take it twice per day and do fine, while others take it 3 times per day and do fine.

It depends on a persons “demographics” meaning the age, gender, metabolism, length of use of these benzos of that person, genetics. Numerous factors involved. As we taper these benzos, our goal is to “upregulate” those gaba receptors which are 1/2 of the gaba/glutamate system. There is a delicate balance between the two where the gaba is inhibitory/calming, and the glutamate is excitatory. They work together to control the level of the brains balance of the two.

Once we start these benzos, they take the place of the brains own production of gaba, and the receptors downregulate into the tissue of the brain. The gaba continues to be produced, but with the receptors being downregulated, they are no longer there to receive that gaba, and use the benzo instead. So as we taper, we upregulate those receptors, and the glutamate flows into this system in somewhat greater amounts causing that more exicitatory response which we feel as the withdrawl sx of possibly increased anxiety, less ability to sleep, headache and all types of withdrawl sx.

The idea is to go slowly enough that we can upregulate w/o feeling the w/d sx too strongly, but still get the “job done.” Some can do this faster than others depending on those many demographics. And as we take away the benzo (taper), many do feel that interdose withdrawl which may mean that one needs to add another dose to the dose or doses they are already taking.

For myself, this is one reason I prefer to take 2 equal amounts of clonazepam daily, and taper down the same amount off each dose also. This is all somewhat unpredictable, but you will know if you need to add another dose because you will feel those w/d sx before you take your next dose.

If this does occur, just remember you need to split the whole CURRENT  daily dose into whatever amounts each that you feel comfortable with.

And as Libertas says, this is only my experience that I’m talking about.