Needing help with a plan to taper from 1mg of Ativan to Valium

[ho...]

I'm reading that quite a few Buddies had a rough day yesterday, yours was action packed it seems, good for you for pushing through it.  :thumbsup:  I didn't taper, but I hear that there are some cuts which are more difficult than others, so try not to assume the next one will be as rough as this one.  As for continuing or holding, it's really up to you and how you feel.  On the one hand, no one ever feels good while doing this, on the other, you don't want to make yourself suffer needlessly if holding will help.  How is that for helpful?  Sorry, it's just that no one can answer this question for you.  I hope whatever you decide to do is what's right for you.  :mybuddy:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

Just read about what you have been going through lately and I can totally relate!  I was on Xanax and Klonopin and switched over to 60mg of Diazapam.  This has been going on forever!!  I was pretty much s/x free and able to go about life for a half a year and last week I hit the wall when I finally got down to 4mg diazapam.  So I had to bump it up to 8mg.  I still have s/x but wow, it was a slap in the face.  I had no idea what was going on.  My goal was to get rid of these as fast as possible.  Now, my goal is to just get off of them when I can.  I am taking the rest slower and probably going to switch to liquid valium near the end to make the symptoms less.  I know I will get off of them so I am not concerned with the date I get off them.  You have been doing great!!!  I hope you are able to continue to taper down but when stabilized.  You will get off of the small amount you are on soon.  Good luck!

Oleander

Hi Oleander!

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this HELL too. Isn't it amazing that our doctors prescribe this junk! :tickedoff: My last drop was better as far as physical symptoms go. I have noticed some depression coming on, which really stinks! I'm trying to stay as positive as can, but the longer it drags on the harder it gets to stay positive. I had a little break down yesterday. Spent half the day crying in bed and feeling sorry for myself. Once I got it out of my system I felt much better and my husband took me out for a nice dinner. I dropped 0.125 of my dose today, so I'm down to 0.375mg per day. I think drops every two weeks are what is going to work for me at this point. Well I wish you the best of luck too! We can beat this!!! 

Hi Oleander!

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this HELL too. Isn't it amazing that our doctors prescribe this junk! :tickedoff: My last drop was better as far as physical symptoms go. I have noticed some depression coming on, which really stinks! I'm trying to stay as positive as can, but the longer it drags on the harder it gets to stay positive. I had a little break down yesterday. Spent half the day crying in bed and feeling sorry for myself. Once I got it out of my system I felt much better and my husband took me out for a nice dinner. I dropped 0.125 of my dose today, so I'm down to 0.375mg per day. I think drops every two weeks are what is going to work for me at this point. Well I wish you the best of luck too! We can beat this!!! 

Hopeful,

So happy to hear you are doing better!!!  I have stayed put for about a week of going back up to the 8mg diazepam.  I don't want to go back up again at all.  I am taking it slow and steady.  I know that's the only way for me to do this.  I am a pretty stubborn girl and when I felt better I just cut and cut.  When I was at 60mg in June I thought I better jump quick or I am never going to get this over with.  Boy have I been humbled by this experience.  Not being in control is a HUGE deal for me but I am learning.  I am finally sleeping and feeling more like myself.  But I have my moments too, believe me.  Sometimes crying is cathartic.  I can understand your husband not fully understanding.  My husband has read and read all kinds of stuff on benzos and has been very involved in my taper but I know there is no way he can fully understand what I am going through.  I do know he is being the best he can be.  I guess that statement, "in sickness and in health" is an important one to live by.  I know he is there for me, if only for a much needed hug.  So nice to go out to dinner and feel normal again!!!  My husband and I have plans for going out to dinner next weekend.  I have a big week ahead of me.  I am back to school.  I am anxious but not to the degree I was just last week.  I think it is good you are going slower.  That is my motto for 2011, slow and steady.  I hope you have more dinners out and fun.  So glad to have my buddies here.  My husband is a great listener but the buddies here really "get it!"  We WILL beat this!!

Take care,

Oleander

You sound just like me Oleander! I am a very stubborn girl too! I want to be done yesterday!!! It really is hard to give up control and just let this process happen. I think the hardest part is not really knowing when it's going to end. I like to have things planned, and not knowing when I will be myself again really is tough. It sounds like your husband is very supportive. That must make the process a little easier on you. My husband is trying to understand, but I totally get that he just can't fully understand unless he has experienced it himself. Your right, this is a great place to come and just read and know that there are others out there going through the same thing you are. When I get really down, I just read the success stories to give me some hope. Before we know it we will be one of those success stories and this will all be a distant nightmare. Take care!  :smitten:

Maybe this whole thing is just a conspiracy to teach us patience!    ::)  Either way, we are getting a big dose of that right now.  I am learning to be patient but boy that is tough for a self proclaimed control freak!!!  I think reading the success stories help sometimes too.  Yeah, husbands, even the really good ones, don't really get it 100%.  I don't even get it 100% so how can I expect him to.  My husband has learned not to give his opinion on stuff and I have noticed that he looks stuff up on benzos a bit more.  I think he wants to be as informed as he can but doesn't want to tell me what to do.  He understands there is no ONE answer for any of this.

I am hoping to put my success story on here one day.  But for now, just looking at the immediate future of moving my 8mg to 7mg, hopefully next week, if possible.

I am looking forward to school starting Thursday and date night this weekend.  Hmm, am thinking seafood.  It will be nice to get dressed up and feel a little more human.  I kept thinking having this holiday break would be great but now I think that getting back to business might be just what I need, to feel productive.

Take care!!

Oleander