Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Do you find that distraction helps depression?

[4b...]

[4b...]

Let me explain, Now I had some depression off and on throughout the years before Benzo's.. for 2 years 98-99 .. I had turned very depressed was put on Lithium 2 years then, I had no trouble dropping it, not for me, I didn't..

I am not adding Lithium over this!

I find when depressed I clean, that helps.. tired of making out Math worksheets sometimes..

Do any of you find distraction helps your depression like walking, cleaning so on?

Keryn.

Hi Keryn,

I think we all have to distract ourselves as much as we can from the agony of withdrawal.  That is the only way that I have found to survive this.

With 5 people in my household ( including one teenager and two kindergartners ) it is not hard to find something to clean or clothes to wash!  ::)

Yes distraction is definitely key in all of this!!!!!!!  :)

[4b...]

Hi Keryn,

I think we all have to distract ourselves as much as we can from the agony of withdrawal.  That is the only way that I have found to survive this.

With 5 people in my household ( including one teenager and two kindergartners ) it is not hard to find something to clean or clothes to wash!  ::)

Yes distraction is definitely key in all of this!!!!!!!  :)

LOL, ya that's a lot of ppl..

I would imagine you stay very busy.

Oh ya laundry  :o I do it too, don't care for it..lol never did nor washing dishes.. I have a dishwasher now tho ;)

And bleaching the bathroom, I look like I just came out of a laboratory after that! http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo330/ryuza_higuchi/Emoticon/bg028.gif

Keryn.

i find it helps too even if it is not fun stuff like cleaning and laundry.. this next week (usually more depressed when my husband is at work) I'm going to try doing some exercise tapes and i bought some canvases and paint.. I have not painted since i was a kid!! lol so we will see how it turns out but i think i'm going to paint something for my husband and something for my mom.. I think in doing this its not only distraction but will hopefully bring joy to them in turn making me feel more useful and less depressed as i will be doing stuff for others..

Normally I am a real clean freak but nowadays I found I have to be careful about what cleaning sprays I use, as well as not going anywhere near RAID (very bad near fainting experience!)  

Everything is clean except for the master bath shower.  It has a nasty mildew ring around the caulking area.  I am afraid to inhale bleach so I guess it will be like a planter in there soon!!!  :laugh:

[4b...]

i find it helps too even if it is not fun stuff like cleaning and laundry.. this next week (usually more depressed when my husband is at work) I'm going to try doing some exercise tapes and i bought some canvases and paint.. I have not painted since i was a kid!! lol so we will see how it turns out but i think i'm going to paint something for my husband and something for my mom.. I think in doing this its not only distraction but will hopefully bring joy to them in turn making me feel more useful and less depressed as i will be doing stuff for others..

i bought some canvases and paint

I paint and do art work too..

I'm better at my math..

That sounds nice actually, I thought about drawing again, lately I have made out 278 Algebra Worksheets for 7th Graders as I'm a tutor.

LOL, Maybe I should add artwork to them.

Keryn.

[4b...]

Normally I am a real clean freak but nowadays I found I have to be careful about what cleaning sprays I use, as well as not going anywhere near RAID (very bad near fainting experience!)  

Everything is clean except for the master bath shower.  It has a nasty mildew ring around the caulking area.  I am afraid to inhale bleach so I guess it will be like a planter in there soon!!!  :laugh:

I find Incense some of it, I can't handle, bleach I can.. but it has this very distinct smell that stays in my nose for hours.

Keryn.

• 2 weeks later...
I find that the days I work tend to be bettter days for me.  I dread weekends especially three day ones.  That usually when the depression sets in.  I just can't keep my mind focused enough when I am home.

Having some depression today. I'm much better when I go out or I'm talking to people. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm still only down to 8mg Valium so it looks like it's going to be a long road.

Frannie

Abso-freakin'-loot-ly it does.

I just find that when I am out running around, working and dealing with the outside world that I don't get depressed as much.

There's always the exhaustion afterwards if I do too much, and it can be hard to sleep because I get overstimulated, but yeah. Being busy and being depressed don't usually work together as far as I can tell. For me.  Kind of France!

Having some depression today. I'm much better when I go out or I'm talking to people. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm still only down to 8mg Valium so it looks like it's going to be a long road.

Frannie

And your BenzoBuddies will be here to support you every step of the way  :)

• 1 month later...

Oh my goodness,

Yes, I believe (as a layperson) that distraction is so helpful!!!!  At first, I could not distract myself, because I could not even get off the couch.  The day I could finally go do something, it made a big difference.  It gets you out of your head when you focus on something else. ...just make sure you distract yourself with something positive! >:D

I watched some funny stuff and it helped to laugh.  So that is a BIG YES from me! :)

Mary