Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Located on the Anxiety Disorders of America website - adaa.org

[Su...]

Found this little tidbit when looking on a website referred to me by my therapist called the Anxiety Disorders of America.  This is what it has to say about benzos:

"Many patients ask whether they will become "addicted" to the medication. The medications commonly prescribed for anxiety disorders do not cause addiction, although certain medications (such as alprazolam, diazepam, and clonazepam) might be associated with dependency. If you have a history of substance abuse, be sure to inform your physician. Most patients are able to stop safely any medication under their doctor's supervision when the course of treatment has been finished. "

--Looks simple to me.

Not sure when it was written, but it's still there if you log on to adaa.org and I think I found it under medications.  Yes, not only stupid but irresponsible.

It’s an absurd statement for profit. :tickedoff: I looked at that site and it is a wolf in sheep clothing. It’s a non-profit, which doesn't mean they don't make a profit it just designates how the profit is disbursed. It makes them seem like a charity, which they certainly are not. It is funded by doctors and looks legitimate but is certainly disinformation that favors the doctor.  The board of directors is mainly MD’s they have a couple honorary members which I find humorous. One is “Donny Osmond” well he has been known to have Panic disorder. But the second is “Willard Scott” Former weatherman from the Today show and in the 1950’s was the original Ronald McDonald!

This is a quote from the site “Professionals support ADAA through dues, contributions and by voluntarily serving on committees and advisory boards” the cost to become a professional member is only $50. If I were looking for a doctor and seen he was a member of the “Anxiety Disorders Association of America” I would be impressed and choose him over another doctor not knowing he just paid 50 bucks to have this on his credentials.

They have an annual conference for medical professionals. To have a booth there is a cost between $50,000 to $20,000 A great investment for the pharmaceutical company. Who else would have a booth at such a conference? Maybe benzobuddies?

It seems the purpose of the ADAA is to promote Educational Brochures they offer. I’m sure we all seen such brochures at any doctor we have been to. This is where most of them probably came from. The brochures do prime you before you see the doctor. They also offer a number of books, Some actually seem pretty good. If you want a look at a book it does direct you to a major bookstore so at least that part seems legitimate.

There are some good anxiety sites out there this certainly is not one.

Dave