Delayed anxiety increase from ativan?

[Ce...]

I might know what's going on here but I need a little help because this is a little confusing to me. July 2017 I started taking .5 mg of ativan twice a day for anxiety. It was later increased to 1 mg twice a day, then 1.5 mg twice a day, then 1.5 mg three times a day in hope that the increased dosage will do a little more for me. Next week I'm supposed to increase to 2 mg three times a day, but I'm having second thoughts now. I've noticed that my anxiety has been absolutely crazy and almost unbearable to be honest. I did a little research and have read about other incidents of ativan causing anxiety. But the thing is I didn't notice a change in anxiety right after the dosage change to 1.5 mg three times a day. It happened a few weeks after... My anxiety has been known to worsen with age, but I felt okay on a maximum dose of 1.5 mg twice a day. I don't think this was my anxiety naturally getting worse. The anxiety is painful and I want it to stop. Is ativan possibly the cause, and can I stop this medication cold turkey?

Note: I also take vistaril for anxiety. I started on 25 mg for a month then went up to 50 mg very recently. I found nothing about vistaril causing anxiety, but does anyone know anything?

I would stop increasing the dose. When you become dependent after upping your dose (although you may remain stable for a period of time because the body is getting a higher dose), and start suffering tolerance withdrawal, that's when the anxiety and other symptoms start ramping up. Ativan, although it is calming in the beginning, actually causes more anxiety in the long run. It has a very short half-life, so naturally the anxiety ramps up when it wears off. You might think of crossing over to Valium, which has a much longer half-life, in order to taper. More isn't better with this benzo, believe me. I used to be on it, and I thought more would relax me. But that wasn't the case at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Cereal Box  never stop ativan  cold turkey  it could cause seizures  psychosis  mania  or even death  always discuss getting of a med with your dr  they wil prob do a rapid taper which i do not suggest and like terry said cross switch over to valium and tapering is also an opinion check out the fourms taper section  or ashtons manual to benzodiazepines withdrawl

I never had anxiety prior to starting benzos...i just couldn't sleep after surgery. After 6 weeks of not sleeping and zero anxiety I was put on tamazapan and within 3 days had anxiety. Went back to doctor said I was now gettinf anxiety/adrenaline surges, muscle jerks, sweats, tinnitus, numbmess, headaches, nosebleeds, 147bpm resting heart rate, DP/DR put me on zanax and got WORSE. Then she tried oxazapam and got WORSE again. 25 days off all now and although it has been utter hell  the jerks

Have stopped, headaches gone, numbness slowly going, still have increased resting heart rate but down to between 94 and 111. These meds and doctors are dangerous and cause more trouble. I finally saw a new doctor this morning who has seen this many times before and refuses to write benzo scripts as she never knows who will react badly or become tollerant or hooked on quickly.

[66...]

You're on 4.5 mg going up to 6? That's a hefty dose. Big time. You're playing with fire, hun.

Do not do this. No way.

Ativan is a dangerous drug that is horrible to be on even more horrible coming off. I lived the nightmare. And I only took 1 mg a day. Don't do it. More and more will be needed until it stops working altogether and you'll be plunged into utter hell trying to taper. Never cold turkey this drug. Ever. You have anxiety. If you want dozens of more crippling symptoms which may include nausea, burning, pain, depression, urinary and bowel dysfunction, migraines, etc...don't increase your dosage and try getting off of it completely.

Not only can the Ativan cause problems but the Visteral can as well. I was taking visterail 2tmg prn to help with the Losartan withdraeal(Ii know that is a bp med bit it affects GABA receptors). Anyway eventhough I have taken it on the past this time the visteral about killed me. I was starting to have extreme anxiety between does then it didnt even help to take it. I was getting zero sleep most days and urinating every 5 mins. I am off everything right now and doing better.