Important Survey - Please Participate ×

What really happens when you take benzos

[24...]

[24...]

This is what I've experienced after going through benzo addiction and withdrawal.  Taking benzos over a long period of time disables the body's ability to respond to inner and outer stimulus and its own healing processes in a natural way.  So, the benzo is repressing your nervous system's ability to respond naturally... and when this occurs over a lengthy period of time, the cells are not able to function without the benzo and taking it away causes much turmoil in the cells.  When one tries to stop taking the benzo, the body's cells react because they need the benzo effect to maintain their reproductive process.  The lack of the benzo will cause pain, insomnia, burning skin, tightening of the throat, digestive problems, fear, palpitations, paranoia, fatigue, etc., etc., etc.  ...until the cells learn how to function again without the benzo.  This takes time.

Amp

Benzos bind to the second ring of a gaba receptor,  there are 3 rings on said receptor.  When 2 of the rings are fully loaded with their neurotransmitter (1 ring is for gaba, the other two are unknown but acted upon by benzos and alcohol/barbituates) the rings constrict widening the calcium channel aperture allowing more chloride ions to enter and thus dampening cns activity.

As it is unknown what neurotransmitter benzos replace we cannot know the exact systems being disrupted.

• 1 month later...
[d1...]

I know what it does.. I don't really read much of the anatomy of all of it or how it works.. I cut, say it's a sx and go on.. If I start digging into it all in depth too much.. it can be consuming and worrisome.. Time Heals.

Keryn.