Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Light Therapy for Depression - Has anybody tried this?

[Pr...]

I've read a lot about using light therapy to treat all kinds of depression, not just the seasonal variety, and was wondering if anybody here has tried it.

I'm reading an article about it here http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/LightTherapy.htm and it sounds intriguing

It looks like a good light box can run close to $150 but that's a lot cheaper than the meds I am currently on (Seroquel & Wellbutrin).

Thanks in advance!

I have not tried the "light therapy" but I HAVE made it a point to set outside on my back deck for an hour a day to read,sleep on the ground in the shade whatever to get that natural vitamin D I do find when I do it my depression gets better and the days I dont I dont feel as well.. But of course this could all be mental as well

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just purchased the Zadro Sunlight 365 model mentioned in the thread. It arrives Tuesday and I will let you know how it goes. It was only $32.00. That's WAY less than what I spend on meds for a week!

PV

All of these lights claim to fight the winter blues (Seasonal Affective Disorder). I wonder if they fight just plain old (non-seasonal) depression?

Also just wondering if anybody has heard that the BEST position for these lights is ABOVE eye level tilted downward, the theory being that this more closely duplicates the angle of the sun and stimulates receptors in the lower retina that are not present elsewhere in the eye?

Either way I look forward to receiving mine today.

PV

I recently got that Zadro thing. Just be careful with it. The electronics are rather fragile. Cover up the light what something opaque whenever you are setting the clock and "alarm," as it's easy to accidentally turn on the light while you are doing this. Once you get it set up, try not to move it. If it stops working, there is a reset button on the back that will discharge static. And it may take a few hours before it works again after that.

Also, be sure to look up information on how to use it properly. There's a website that will tell you the best time to use it. I can't seem to find the site that was automated, but at least here's a chart. It's based on what time you normally go to bed, and what time you normally wake up.

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/content/36/6/28/T1.expansion.html

Oh, and try going gradual with it if it causes headaches. You can use the lowest light settings, and even turn it somewhat away from you. And do remember that you're not supposed to look directly at it except in very occasional glances. And it needs to be set above your eye level.

Hello Buddies

I use a SAD light every day for about 45min in the AM.

regular use of the SAD light improves sleep, vitamin D and mood.

Teakettle

Hello

Not sure.

The only type of light I am sure works on depression (mood), vitamin D and improves sleep is the SAD type light.

I got mine through a sleep therapist, but I am sure you could order it on line.

Think it cost about $150.00.

You aim it in your eyes for the best effect.

Teakettle

Hello Buddies

I use a SAD light every day for about 45min in the AM.

regular use of the SAD light improves sleep, vitamin D and mood.

Teakettle

I think it might be time for me to invest in one of these bad boys now that winter is rolling around.

Hello Team

Just realized that I may have over stated the value of a SAD light.

The SAD light does help with Sleep and Mood (depression) but I do not think it is effective for D.

For D you need a Sun Lamp or Sunshine or supplements.

P.S. If your Hair Falls out from using the SAD light don't worry, your mood will get a Boost and you will look great with a TIN FOIL HAT.

Teakettle