Feeling 95% recovered and life is back on track 6months after jumping :)

[...]

Hi 1966,

Many thanks for posting your return to health from the hellish world of benzo withdrawal. As you can see from my signature, I am also healing from Ativan, having also taken it for insomnia for a relatively short time period. I also tapered by cutting the tablets using a pill cutter. I even took pictures of the cuts in order to compare them from one week to the next. Not very scientific! I was just so ready to be free of them. Unfortunately, I think I paid for it by having a rough time in the beginning once I jumped. I am still struggling with sleep, but it is so much better! The windows are getting longer and longer, and my anxiety and depression are tons better. I count my blessings that tinnitus was not an issue, but weight loss has been!

Firstly, I am so happy for you that you are seeing this experience from the other side. If it weren't true for so many of us, it would seem almost surreal. How we were duped by taking these medicines, and then on top of it, having so little support from the same doctors who prescribed them! Your attitude and suggestions about living with the WD symptoms were spot on, and very helpful.

I did want to ask you about your weight loss. I, too, have lost around 13 lbs (6 kilos). The weight loss began way before I started my taper, without me realizing the cause! I have streamlined my diet to exclude all the usual bad things like junk food, MSG, highly processed food and sugar, as I really thought a healthy diet would help with the healing. My problem is still gaining the lost weight back! I am able to maintain my current weight, but I surely would like to be able to fit into my clothes again. Have you had this issue? A trainer friend of ours has encouraged me to begin weight lifting (I walk a fair amount) in order to build muscle. I have begun to eat more calories per meal, but each morning, the scale registers the same weight day after day. Any suggestions?

Tigereye

Hi tigereye - our situations may be different - I am not sure.. but my weight loss was caused simply to not eating enough due to no appetite because of anxiety/depression. as soon as I started to feel better I began eating more and put the weight back on. hehe my problem now is that I have put on too much weight! lol.. I think eating more calories sounds good as long as they are healthy calories e.g. nuts, avocado etc.. but really I can't say much more - perhaps you need to consult a doctor or dietician.. ?

thanks for your appreciation and good luck  :thumbsup:

Wonderful SS...and great advice and suggestions for getting through it all.

Congratulations on getting your life back