Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Can anyone make sense of this to explain to a layperson?

[Te...]

I mostly know that iwill recover. I think that I am just exhausted for now. It would be great if we could just pause the rest of life momentarily while we heal.

I've always said to others that don't understand: Life doesn't stop just becaise we are in benzodiazaphine wd.      My biggest issue is with negative stress as well.....

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [cs...]

• [li...]

• [Te...]

• [Re...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Stress, as the cure.

How we deal with it determines restoration or further degeneration.

Hi faultandfracture,

Yes, that is what It boils down to, if we want to break the feedback loop, as we recover.

The benzodiazaphine provides the initial crack in the wall by preying on the vulnerable and temperamental GABAaRs.    This is what gets us caught in the initial loop.  Negative Stress perpetuates the withdrawal symptoms. The withdrawal symptoms themselves add fuel to the fire.

Regarding negative stress

1. It can truly be negative, as described in the earlier post (unpredictable, relentless, constant, uncontrollable)

2. It can be general everyday stress that we perceive as being very very negative.

3.it can be a combination of both

In benzodiazaphine withdrawal,  and during a taper, the GABAaRs are trying to recover.  As they are trying to acclimate to lower and lower doses of exogenous modulation (lower benzodiazaphine serum levels) everyday "stressors" are perceived as much more negative than they really are, because of heightened general anxiety levels.

RST posted an interesting comment stating that the worst kind of anxiety is the type that is just there.  No source.  This is purely "physiological" anxiety.  There is nothing psychological about it.  It's completely irrational.  This is what happens to us during wd, and post wd, and it is a gateway into messing up our perception of everyday stressors.

As such, many of us fall into stress bucket 3 above during wd.

PART I above

Benzodiazaphines create that initial crack in the wall to our normally resilient physiology....

~”Through one very vulnerable receptor type, benzodiazaphines insidiously and mercilessly tear down the very  ‘Pillars’ upon which our fragile nervous system is built.” -dm123

Adult Neurogenesis,  stress, exercise, and the benzodiazaphine model (PART II)

10.Key application takeaways

a.If you do not have severe hypothalamic pituitary dysfunction, that’s presenting as extremely low morning cortisol, do not take hydrocortisone or fludrocortisone.  Hydrocortisone has a relatively short half life, and elevates serum cortisol to very high level peaks that are not physiologically normal relative to the circadian rhythm.  It’s the sustained high serum level of cortisol that has the negative effects on neurogenesis. Glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids also have an effect on both the  amplitude and frequency of post synaptic inhibitory currents in a phasic fashion.  Unless you have Addison’s or severe hypothalamic dysfunction due to extreme chronic stress, it’s best not to take these medications.  If you are on them, talk to your doctor about tapering off of them slowly.  I personally had to get off of them. The negative neurogenesis effects are completely reversible.  It is very important that one does the taper under a doctor’s supervision. The  hypothalamic-pituitary axis may be transiently suppressed, and ACTH output may initially be slow to recover.

b.The brain is highly adaptable (neuroplastic) and has an enormous ability to regenerate (neurogenesis).  This makes benzodiazaphine recovery not only possible, but probable.  Neuroplastic and neurogenesis changes are not one way streets to damage.. Quite the opposite.  The brain can adapt in both directions: good to bad, and bad to good.  We don’t physiologically return to 100% of what we were prior to encountering benzodiazaphines.  However, not being exactly the same does not mean we are “worse” off.  We are just different, and will have to watch and monitor the negative stressors in our life, once the benzodiazaphine is flushed out of our bodies.

c.Keep moving your body and your mind. There’s no magic pill that can take the place of learning and exercising.  It has to be consistent day to day.  It’s hard, but nothing worth anything is ever easy.  If you can’t move and are not paralyzed you need to talk to your doctor about finding a physical therapist who can start mobilizing your body.

d. Minimize the negative stressors in your life.  It’s almost impossible in today’s society, and that’s why a lot of people have trouble during benzodiazaphine withdrawal and recovery, and it’s a major cause of crashing and PWS.  Stress is the single most important thing that we can control, that has the potential to adversely affect withdrawal and recovery.  It is the most powerful influence on adult neurogenesis.  I hope the information above makes this statement plausible from a clinical and scientific view. 

I’m having a very hard time controlling this one.  It’s very difficult,  because as indicated in the material above, stress itself causes changes in hippocampal neurogenesis that causes us to be less resilient to stress. In addition, the anxiety from benzodiazaphine withdrawal itself has similar effects on our resiliency against stress.  A double edged sword indeed…..

e.Taper slowly and do a symptom based taper simply to mitigate the withdrawals symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms in and of themselves act as potent stressors, and perpetuate the feedback loop in the model.  Changes in the brain due to aberrant neurogenesis need time to heal and revert.  See the alcohol study cited above.  If you need adjunctive medications to help in mitigating withdrawal symptoms, relieving physical pain, and/or  relieving psychological stress, talk to your doctor about it. 

f.Get morning sunlight.  Upon waking, stand in front of a sun facing window first thing in the morning.  It’s a natural way to stimulate cortisol production that’s aligned to the circadian rhythm.  Let the sun light hit your face.  Don’t look directly into the sun, but make sure your eyes are taking in the full brightness of the rays.  The hypothalamus will take care of the rest of the job.  Chronic benzodiazaphine use (pre withdrawal and pre tolerance) blunts cortisol response.  If you’ve crossed over to a very long half life benzodiazaphine, this will help get the morning cortisol back up.

Great work, dm123

I have been doing so much research that I have reached saturation.  I know I am perhaps somewhat of an anomaly compared to some given that I am trying to taper gabapentin.  I'm also on 75mg of Effexor that I was put on at the same time I was given Ativan for sleep.  Now, I understand that there are many complicated interactions which an SSRI may be influencing as well.  I never paid much attention to the SSRI and thought it was kind of independent of this process but now I see that is possibly very wrong.  So much lacking in information by our doctors can cause horrendous problems. 

For the last while I was looking at LTP and LDP processes and that in healthy individuals, transcranial Direct Curent Stimulation (tDCS) could have some effect with inducing LTP or LDP.  There are many variables to consider but, without getting into it, the basic observation is that anodal tDCS can cause LTP whereas cathodal tDCS can cause LTD.  The question is, what are we after?  It would seem LTD is what we'd like to observe unless I'm wrong.  However, the people who benefit from tDCS treatment for depression seem to respond to anodal tDCS.  Interestingly, an observation from the studies I've read indicates that Ca+ ions are important in neural plasticity and must be present in the neuron to some degree for neuroplasticity to occur  (LTP or LTD).  Also, the introduction of seratonin via an SSRI seems to reverse the effect of cathodal tDCS (LTD) and furthermore, enhance the LTP effect of anodal tDCS. 

For someone like me, who is taking gabapentin and the SNRI effexor (75mg), this poses interesting and somewhat frightening possibilities.  If gabapentin blocks the VGCC such that Ca+ ions aren't available in sufficient quantities to facilitate neuroplasticity or neuronal recovery then that is quite concerning.  It seems that there are some of us who do fine on gabapentin or have some problems and a small few of us who have horrific problems with it.  There are only a few on this board that have spoken about the same experiences I am having with it.  I'm down to 150mg dosing 50mg TID and it is hard going.  I also wonder if counter-intuitively, the effexor is making extracellular seratonin available to the degree that it amplified LTP while I originally took Ativan, which may explain why I was into interdose withdrawal after only 8 or 9 days of 1mg per day?

I don't know because I don't quite understand all the biology on this.  I'll attached a link to an interesting article on tDCS from which I've gained some of this information.  Again, I don't know if I understand LTP and LTD correctly in respect of what we are experiencing because the main references for LTP and LTD are in respect to memory formation.  I.E.  LTP is good for memory formation in the neuron whereas LTD does not permit formation of long term memory.  I don't know....maybe I read it wrong and now I just don't remember.  HAHAHAHAH.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5127836/

-RST

Hi RST

I read the citation above on tDCS.  I have a concerns with this type of therapy. 

There are far too many variables involved in its modulation of neuronal potentiation.  How would one find a practitioner knowledgeable enough to use such a blunt technology?

Most importantly, the discussion on the temporal (time)!aspect of the therapy was disturbing.  The temporal extent of offline effects (effects that persist after treatment) are very inconclusive.

My concern would be: what would be the point of having a therapy (and paying for it) if an hour later it's effects start wearing off.

I'm glad you posted it.  It's a very interesting technology, but there are too many unknowns and questions raised.  The citation does a good job in covering all the different variables involved in its modulating effects on neurons and neural circuits.

I would also be concerned about potential unforeseen "side effects" of this therapy.

Hello, dm123.

I agree with you.  I think these technologies represent blunt instruments right now.  Some people with undamaged CNS's might have some positive benefits with current technology, but for us, I think it's a 'no-go'.  There are, as you said, way too many variables and unknowns.  It is an interesting read that helps broaden our knowledge to some degree but sadly offers no real solutions.  I think in time that there may be more precision and specificity that comes with this technology but we'll have to wait for much more research to be concluded.

-RST

Very good points about it all being a blunt instrument when we are all so very very sensitive to changes at this point.  I know I read on some websites that are touting the technology that some of the methods, not what we're talking about here but what they are also trying to sell, is infrared as an option.

I have a small dome type of infrared sauna that I have been using for muscle pain -- it really helps -- and I'm trying to use it more on my head area.  It's like using the idea of this technology in a very benign way I am hoping.  And it may simply be warming my noggin, but hey!  :laugh:  There are also some cold laser practitioners where I live that I'm trying to track down.  There is information on that in the Norman Doidge books.  Fascinating and hopeful reads those!

Thanks everyone!

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

Hello, dm123.

I agree with you.  I think these technologies represent blunt instruments right now.  Some people with undamaged CNS's might have some positive benefits with current technology, but for us, I think it's a 'no-go'.  There are, as you said, way too many variables and unknowns.  It is an interesting read that helps broaden our knowledge to some degree but sadly offers no real solutions.  I think in time that there may be more precision and specificity that comes with this technology but we'll have to wait for much more research to be concluded.

-RST

Hi RST,  my sentiments exactly.  I think ketamine is a more well proven therapy.

Please see the citation below.  I'm going to post a summary of what the model is, thus far, as the next paper , so that people can jump in without being too confused.  Please tell your fellow BBs about this research.  I want it to help people.  There's also tons of information and papers  in these  pages.....

The summary is going to tie in the GABAb receptor, and helps confirm the validity of the model relative to the neurogenesis component of the model.  I think you are spot on, when you mentioned you think aberrant neurogenesis is what's perpetuating your symptoms, at least in part.

A fellow BB sent me this a while back (he knows who he is, and thank you!).  In the neurogenesis research, I had already  stumbled on the GABAb receptor several times.

One point of encouragement for you: As I said before, neurogenesis and Neuroplasticity are not one way streets.  Aberrant neurogenesis can be reversed over time.  Get the negative stress out of your life for now.  Another very important point is that GABAbRs are very stable (population density and conductance density) relative to stimulation and modulation , unlike GABAaRs, which are very sensitive to modulation (i.e. PAMs).  So you need not be concerned with the receptor itself.

The information below certainly is not new information, but it's necessary to know in your case in light of the model .....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11408520

The anticonvulsant, antihyperalgesic agent gabapentin is an agonist at brain gamma-aminobutyric acid type B receptors negatively coupled to voltage-dependent calcium channels.

Bertrand S1, Ng GY, Purisai MG, Wolfe SE, Severidt MW, Nouel D, Robitaille R, Low MJ, O'Neill GP, Metters K, Lacaille JC, Chronwall BM, Morris SJ.

Author information

Abstract

Gabapentin (Neurontin, Pfizer Global R & D) is a novel anticonvulsant, antihyperalgesic, and antinociceptive agent with a poorly understood mechanism of action. In this study, we show that gabapentin (EC50 2 microM) inhibited up to 70 to 80% of the total K+-evoked Ca2+ influx via voltage-dependent calcium channels (VD-CCs) in a mouse pituitary intermediate melanotrope clonal mIL-tsA58 (mIL) cell line. mIL cells endogenously express only gamma-aminobutyric acid type B (GABA(B)) gb1a-gb2 receptors. Moreover, activity of the agonist gabapentin was dose dependently and completely blocked with the GABA(B) antagonist CGP55845 and was nearly identical to the prototypic GABA(B) agonist baclofen in both extent and potency. Antisense knockdown of gb1a also completely blocked gabapentin activity, while gb1b antisense and control oligonucleotides had no effect, indicating that gabapentin inhibition of membrane Ca2+ mobilization in mIL cells was dependent on a functional GABA(B) (gb1a-gb2) heterodimer receptor. In addition, during combined whole cell recording and multiphoton Ca2+ imaging in hippocampal neurons in situ, gabapentin significantly inhibited in a dose-dependent manner subthreshold soma depolarizations and Ca2+ responses evoked by somatic current injection. Furthermore, gabapentin almost completely blocked Ca2+ action potentials and Ca2+ responses elicited by suprathreshold current injection. However, larger current injection overcame this inhibition of Ca2+ action potentials suggesting that gabapentin did not predominantly affect L-type Ca2+ channels. The depressant effect of gabapentin on Ca2+ responses was coupled to the activation of neuronal GABA(B) receptors since they were blocked by CGP55845, and baclofen produced similar effects. Thus gabapentin activation of neuronal GABA(B) gb1a-gb2 receptors negatively coupled to VD-CCs can be a potentially important therapeutic mechanism of action of gabapentin that may be linked to inhibition of neurotransmitter release in some systems.

End quote

Very good points about it all being a blunt instrument when we are all so very very sensitive to changes at this point.  I know I read on some websites that are touting the technology that some of the methods, not what we're talking about here but what they are also trying to sell, is infrared as an option.

I have a small dome type of infrared sauna that I have been using for muscle pain -- it really helps -- and I'm trying to use it more on my head area.  It's like using the idea of this technology in a very benign way I am hoping.  And it may simply be warming my noggin, but hey!  :laugh:  There are also some cold laser practitioners where I live that I'm trying to track down.  There is information on that in the Norman Doidge books.  Fascinating and hopeful reads those!

Thanks everyone!

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

Hi SS,

I'm glad you are looking at alternative therapies.  Please let us know if any of these work out for you.

Yes, MR. Norman Doidge.  Very familiar with his work.  I remember reading his book The Brain that Changes Itself, 8 long years ago, pre-Benzo.  Little did I know, how important Neuroplasticity and neurogenesis would be to my research and the model.  Knowledge is power....

dm123, this has been bothering me throughout withdrawal/recovery. My benzo-induced anxiety is attached to my blood pressure. Every time I'm anxious, my blood pressure rises very high. Food can also cause anxiety. For instance, I was eating bran cereal. I began feeling anxious but didn't know why. Suddenly my blood pressure shot up. The same thing happens with orange juice, dark chocolate, bad bp spikes with coffee, honey, Vitamin C wafers, even vegetables in a blender. I thought I'd try natural salt (since I have low salt) and used Himalayan salt. WOW!! That really upped my blood pressure. I won't even say because it was so high. Unfortunately, I have been put on a number of pills to lower my blood pressure, but they DON'T DO A THING when it's benzo-induced anxiety. I'm thinking that my pills do not effectively cross the blood-brain barrier, which I think needs to happen to fight off the anxiety, since the benzos cross the blood-brain barrier so effectively.

This has been my worst symptom!! I hate it!! It really wears me down, and sometimes I just don't want to go on. I'm very tired of this.

Anyway, if you have any ideas as to why this happens, I'd like to know. So many people have anxiety while suffering through the benzo stuff, yet they have low blood pressure. I don't get it.

THANK YOU!!! (I hope it's not a scary explanation because I still have high bp from the bran cereal!)

I want to say, too, that when I was in the ER in October, for really high blood pressure, I was given Labetalol IV in an effort to lower my blood pressure, as well as Ativan, and instead of lowering my blood pressure, it went from 222 to 240. That's why I think drugs that cross the blood-brain barrier are far more effective. Labetalol is often given to pregnant women because it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier, at least I think that's the reason. I didn't know about this way back when, when I was on Labetalol. However, changing pills at this point is useless. I would have a very difficult time because my blood pressure sometimes goes to 104. It's a terrible push-pull, and causes intense dizziness.

Another thing I'd like to ask is how blood pressure drugs affect GABA. I've had a terrible time with my blood pressure pills. I am very sensitive to pills of any kind. At times I think the bp pills cause anxiety, too. THANK YOU again, dm123!!

i'm going to pass this along: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17303330 I received it from another BB, but I don't understand what it says.

Hi dim123

Could u relate something in my below question plz

I lost 15 kg weight from February 2017 to June 2017 after many investigation some of them are still under process one thing they find out that I was too low in b12 when given 6 shots of b12 I started to become more hungry and out back about 8 kg till December and now again I m loosing weight again and already lost 3 kg out of 8 kg what I gained, my b12 are above Reference range but went down in big number which i had after loading doses of 6 injections, any body have similar experience? weight loss always scare me as I got some death threatening disease

dm123, this has been bothering me throughout withdrawal/recovery. My benzo-induced anxiety is attached to my blood pressure. Every time I'm anxious, my blood pressure rises very high. Food can also cause anxiety. For instance, I was eating bran cereal. I began feeling anxious but didn't know why. Suddenly my blood pressure shot up. The same thing happens with orange juice, dark chocolate, bad bp spikes with coffee, honey, Vitamin C wafers, even vegetables in a blender. I thought I'd try natural salt (since I have low salt) and used Himalayan salt. WOW!! That really upped my blood pressure. I won't even say because it was so high. Unfortunately, I have been put on a number of pills to lower my blood pressure, but they DON'T DO A THING when it's benzo-induced anxiety. I'm thinking that my pills do not effectively cross the blood-brain barrier, which I think needs to happen to fight off the anxiety, since the benzos cross the blood-brain barrier so effectively.

This has been my worst symptom!! I hate it!! It really wears me down, and sometimes I just don't want to go on. I'm very tired of this.

Anyway, if you have any ideas as to why this happens, I'd like to know. So many people have anxiety while suffering through the benzo stuff, yet they have low blood pressure. I don't get it.

THANK YOU!!! (I hope it's not a scary explanation because I still have high bp from the bran cereal!)

I want to say, too, that when I was in the ER in October, for really high blood pressure, I was given Labetalol IV in an effort to lower my blood pressure, as well as Ativan, and instead of lowering my blood pressure, it went from 222 to 240. That's why I think drugs that cross the blood-brain barrier are far more effective. Labetalol is often given to pregnant women because it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier, at least I think that's the reason. I didn't know about this way back when, when I was on Labetalol. However, changing pills at this point is useless. I would have a very difficult time because my blood pressure sometimes goes to 104. It's a terrible push-pull, and causes intense dizziness.

Hi Terry,

Yes, labetalol and losartan don't cross the BBB in significant amounts.

First just a bit of background on angiotensin II

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renin%E2%80%93angiotensin_system

This gives you some background on what it does and how it's synthesized in the body.

The losartan study link that you gave is very interesting.  Basically they had to pressure infuse the losartan and the angiotensin II into a specific region if the brain that has angiotensin II receptors.  This is the PVN of the hypothalamus and the AHA as indicated in the citation.  However, in real life it does not cross the BBB, so although it amazingly appears to affect GABAaRs in this area of the brain, I don't think it would affect a real person in this way with an intact BBB

The losartan-induced decrease of unit firing in AHA neurons was abolished by pressure application of the GABAA receptor antagonist bicuculline onto the same neurons. Bicuculline itself did not affect the basal firing rate of AHA neurons. These findings suggest that intracerebroventricular injection of losartan inhibits AHA angiotensin II-sensitive neurons via GABA inputs to the neurons.

End quote

Angiotensin II has very specific functions in the PVN and hypothalamus .  See below.  It also affects many many other regions of the body as well.  See the wiki link above.

Angiotensin II causes the release of anti-diuretic hormone (ADH),[3] also called vasopressin – ADH is made in the hypothalamus and released from the posterior pituitary gland. As its name suggests, it also exhibits vaso-constrictive properties, but its main course of action is to stimulate reabsorption of water in the kidneys. ADH also acts on the central nervous system to increase an individual's appetite for salt, and to stimulate the sensation of thirst.

End quote

I think your low serum salt levels and your dysregulated blood pressure levels are related, perhaps through the angiotensin-aldosterone pathway.    I'm wondering if you've had your aldosterone levels and cortisol levels checked

Low aldosterone would show up as low sodium and high postassium in a CBC.  Fludrocortisone, which is like a synthetic aldosterone raises Sodium and lowers postassium levels,

In the adrenal cortex, angiotensin II acts to cause the release of aldosterone. Aldosterone acts on the tubules (e.g., the distal convoluted tubules and the cortical collecting ducts) in the kidneys, causing them to reabsorb more sodium and water from the urine. This increases blood volume and, therefore, increases blood pressure. In exchange for the reabsorbing of sodium to blood, potassium is secreted into the tubules, becomes part of urine and is excreted.

End quote

There's also the question of if there is some sort of autonomic dysfunction going on, which some of us in PWS encounter.  This article sheds some light on the link between GABA, glutamate and other signaling molecules and the PVN and autonomic control.

This all of course ultimately ties into the stress system of the model that I am proposing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2682920/

This review highlights data showing that individual afferent inputs (SFO), signaling molecules (orexins, adiponectin), and interneurons (glutamate/GABA), all have the potential to influence (and thus coordinate) multiple PVN output pathways. We also highlight recent studies showing that modifications in this integrated circuitry may play significant roles in the pathology of diseases such as congestive heart failure and hypertension.

In addition anatomical studies have reported extensive distribution of GABA interneurons in the halo zone (including anterior hypothalamic and perifornical regions) surrounding the PVN (Figure 2) as well as occasional GABA neurons within the nucleus [10]

Work from our lab added further to the complexity by demonstrating that excitation of magnocellular neurons activated a nitric oxide/GABA mediated negative feedback system within the PVN [50;51] which effectively provided ultra-short loop regulation of the activity of PVN neurons, an intriguing system within a nucleus functionally focused of homeostatic regulation. In addition, these observations suggested important roles for GABA interneurons, the majority of which are localized in the halo zone surrounding the PVN [10], as an additional gatekeeper/integrator in controlling the excitability of PVN outputs. Important roles for these GABA interneurons have now been suggested in mediating inhibitory effects of adrenomedullin [52] on magnocellular, excitatory effects (presumably through disinhibition) of ANG on preautonomic [53], and IL-1β [37] on parvocellular neurons.

Normally, the PVN is under potent inhibitory influence of GABA and NO but these feedback loops are thought to be dysfunctional in CHF resulting in exaggerated responses to glutamate, ANG and potentially all other excitatory inputs to these neurons. The consequences of such changes have been clearly demonstrated by studies showing that the mild pressor effects which normally occur in response to electrical stimulation of the PVN are dramatically increased when this GABA/NO feedback loop is blocked by injection of GABA antagonists or NOS inhibitors into the PVN [65;66].

Here presumably there may be vital roles for both glutamate and GABA interneurons in the PVN (including the so-called halo zone), in performing such integrated functions. Experiments directed toward understanding the integrative functional roles of these neurons will provide important new information and will hopefully be greatly facilitated by the recent development of single cell RT-PCR tools which allow focused functional analysis of these neuronal subtypes. Also important to emphasize is the fact that within such an integrated system these interneurons have the potential to take such integrated signals and control outputs of the integrated functional output of the nucleus.

End quote

Hi dim123

I lost 15 kg weight from February 2017 to June 2017 after many investigation some of them are still under process one thing they find out that I was too low in b12 when given 6 shots of b12 I started to become more hungry and out back about 8 kg till December and now again I m loosing weight again and already lost 3 kg out of 8 kg what I gained, my b12 are above Reference range but went down in big number which i had after loading doses of 6 injections, any body have similar experience? weight loss always scare me as I got some death threatening disease

Hi Shahid,

I'm sorry to hear about your weight loss.  I've had low B12 before.  You need to continue taking a daily b12 supplement after the loading dose, to make sure you maintain serum levels.  If you can handle it, preferably the methylcobalamin form....

Regarding your persistent weight loss, have you been tested for celiac.  There are specific tests that they can run to determine if you have celiac.  There are some issues that can cause low b12, and I'm sure you've already researched them and know about them.  When you mentioned weight loss in combination with low b12 that's the first thing that came to mind.  It's also referred to as sprue  Also have you had your thyroid checked? 

One last question, are you a vegan or vegetarian by any chance?

Hi DM, Thanks for all you do here.  I take LIsinipril 20 mg.  Ace inhibitor.  BP is still slightly high at times.  Just upper number usually.  My question is can this drug cause any problems?  I started it around the time of Valium.  I was on Ativan and crossed.  MY blood work came back sodium low side and also potassium 5.5 a little high.  Both have been slowly going in wrong direction.  I just wonder what drug is causing this.  If I could I would stop the BP med and see if it helps but scared my pressure will go up.  I suffer with unbearable burning neuropathy almost over entire body.  Thanks for your thoughts, I know you're not a Dr. 

Thanks so very much, dm123!!!! You're like a breath of fresh air around here. I will read what you have to say. I did have aldosterone testing years ago, which didn't show anything. I wonder if it would now. I never considered low aldosterone. I'll get that testing as well as cortisol.

I found this today in NPR: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/01/31/582112597/researchers-discover-anxiety-cells-in-the-brain?utm_source=npr_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20180204&utm_campaign=&utm_term=

I thought you might be interested, unless you already know.

THANKS AGAIN!!!! We're so, so lucky to have you here!!!!! 

Hi DM, Thanks for all you do here.  I take LIsinipril 20 mg.  Ace inhibitor.  BP is still slightly high at times.  Just upper number usually.  My question is can this drug cause any problems?  I started it around the time of Valium.  I was on Ativan and crossed.  MY blood work came back sodium low side and also potassium 5.5 a little high.  Both have been slowly going in wrong direction.  I just wonder what drug is causing this.  If I could I would stop the BP med and see if it helps but scared my pressure will go up.  I suffer with unbearable burning neuropathy almost over entire body.  Thanks for your thoughts, I know you're not a Dr.

Hi Freeme, nice to see you back.TERRY please read as well...

(Freeme, see second post below as well)

It's very very ironic.  Your potassium is high.  How low is your sodium?  It could be an aldosterone issue as well,and I'm assuming you've already been tested for that?  Normally these ions (Na and K) are regulated pretty well, so it's strange that the Potassium is getting so high.  Also have they run a CBC and metabolic panel on you as well to check your renin levels and kidney function (GFR, albumin, and urine test for protein in the urine)

See the links above in My response to Terry.  Kidneys play a large role in BP regulation.

Aldosterone testing is very strange.  So when I got mine tested a long time back they told me to sit in the chair and they drew the blood.

I've heard some labs requiring people to stand for an hour or two prior to drawing alsdosterone.  Aldosterone rises the longer we stand.  This is a natural compensatory homeostatic mechanism of the system I mentioned to Terry above, so that we don't faint or black out when standing for long periods of time.  I don't know which method of blood drawing is the proper method, but I can research it later.  I would think standing for an hour gives a false reading (elevated), but it might be good to test the response of your blood pressure regulatory system

I stand for most of the day as part of my therapeutic protocol and it does help normalize my aldosterone, which would otherwise tend to run on the low side.  I have low normal blood pressure, and a history of benzodiazaphine induced cortisol insufficiency.  But it's much better as the benzodiazaphine taper is down to low amounts.    I've been off all hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone for a year now,

Also, get early morning sunlight on the face.  The Light entering your eyes will help stimulate cortisol production.

The combination of opiates and benzodiazaphines will suppress the HPA axis (assuming you are not in withdrawal, PWS or tolerance) and cortisol will tend to run low,

Along with the aldosterone test you need a morning AM and PM cortisol serum test.  The morning cortisone serum testing needs to be done with the CBC so that they can make sure your albumin is normal.  It's very very important to do both at the same time, so that they can determine if your are adrenally insufficient.  Low albumin can skew serum cortisol testing big time.  Google this and you will find a lot of information on this often overlooked diagnostic error.

One such reference below

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17270097

I'm not sure about saliva cortisol testing.  I've had it done in the past.  It seems to have a good reputation, but I've always ultimately been guided by serum cortisol.

Please discuss all these things with your doctor.

EDITED

Please see above.  Regarding lisinopriil, I had to do some research on it.

It does  look like it can raise potassium levels, via the ACE inhibitors mechanism.

It's a known side effect.

As I suspected, it is lowering your aldosterone levels, hence the low sodium and high potassium.  Please see this

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3033998

After 5 days treatment with increasing doses the plasma concentrations of angiotensin II (AII) and aldosterone (Aldo) fell significantly to very low concentrations. However, on long term treatment (3 months) suppression of AII and Aldo did not always take place. A concomitant decrease in 24 h urinary aldosterone excretion occurred. No changes in renal function or other biochemical tests except for a slight increase in S-K were observed.

End quote

Could you go to a nephrologist for a complete kidney exam?  It's called renovascular hypertension.

Also I'm sure your doctor told you, please follow a low,potassium diet.

Please do not stop your BP med without talking to your doctor (MD, not ND).  BP will spike and you have to taper it.  Please do this under guidance of an MD.

Thanks so very much, dm123!!!! You're like a breath of fresh air around here. I will read what you have to say. I did have aldosterone testing years ago, which didn't show anything. I wonder if it would now. I never considered low aldosterone. I'll get that testing as well as cortisol.

I found this today in NPR: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/01/31/582112597/researchers-discover-anxiety-cells-in-the-brain?utm_source=npr_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20180204&utm_campaign=&utm_term=

I thought you might be interested, unless you already know.

THANKS AGAIN!!!! We're so, so lucky to have you here!!!!!

Thank you Terry,  this is aligning with my model as well.  The hippocampus!!!!

The model indicates aberrant neurogenesis in the hippocampus which initially surfaces as reduced stress resiliency.  Reduced stress resiliency is a symptomatic manifestation which ultimate leads to horrific anxiety, even during normal everyday stressors.

I'm glad the model is holding up well.

Kheirbek and a team including several researchers from Columbia University discovered the cells in the hippocampus, an area of the brain known to be involved in anxiety as well as navigation and memory.

End quote

Agoraphobia is a common symptom during very severe benzodiazaphine wd and kindling.  I had it for a short time, and it's initially what directed part of my research to the hippocampus

They did it by studying some anxious mice, Kheirbek says. "Mice tend to be afraid of open places," he says. So the team put mice in a maze in which some pathways led to open areas. Then the researchers monitored the activity of brain cells at the very bottom of the hippocampus.

End quote

This is why part of the therapeutic protocol involves exposing oneself to open air and if possible doing spatial navigation exercises.

The neurogenic modulation that they performed was most likely modulating the GABAergic or glutamatergic pillars of the model, see below, as they were essentially modulating neuronal excitability.

Note below, neural circuits are the next step.  We are in module 4 of neural circuits paper.  Neural circuits fill in the remaining gaps in the model.  Homeostatic plasticity plays a huge role here. 

Note the hippocampus communicates with other areas if the brain beyond the hypothalamus  Also note that the Hippocampus is one of the most plastic regions of the brain AND the one of the most densely populated GABAaR regions of the brain.

It's no wonder why we suffer the way we do.  Thanks so much for the link. Keep 'em comin :)

When the researchers dialed up the cells' activity, the mice got more anxious and didn't want to explore at all.

But there's a lot more to anxiety than just these cells in the hippocampus, Kheirbek says. "These cells are probably just one part of an extended circuit by which the animal learns about anxiety-related information."

For example, the cells in the hippocampus communicate with another brain area called the hypothalamus that tells mice when to avoid something dangerous. Kheirbek says other parts of the anxiety circuit might detect dangerous odors or sounds.

End quote

DM, My kidney and liver function are normal according to the blood tests. I am so incapicitated am just not up for another Dr. My Primary attributed the slight irregularities as coming from the flu I just had. I am so teriffied now I can't think. I don't think I can do this anymore. Thanks for the help. I just looked and sodium was 129.  Also , those other things, the Gbh or something, all that was normal.  Chloride was low too I think.  My blood sugar is slightly elevated at 114.  But my a1c is normal so he wasn't too concerned with that either.  Cholesterol is high but good cholesterol is good. Wanted to put me on Lipitor but I said no.  I am couchbound so my activity is nil.  This is terrible for my health I know.  He also didn't say anything about a low potassium diet.  I eat a banana every morning and some blueberries with yogurt.  I really don't eat much veggies, a few at dinner.  I don't have much appetite.  Anyway, sorry to lay this book on you, just I am so scared now.  I am probably in withdrawal or tolerance.  I cut a little and am down to 12 mg. of valium now.  I despair of ever being able to get off these drugs, am in so much pain and can't see any way forward.  I just can't believe the Dr.s told me to take this crap and now its all changed.  Thanks again for all you do here, you are so kind. 

DM, My kidney and liver function are normal according to the blood tests. I am so incapicitated am just not up for another Dr. My Primary attributed the slight irregularities as coming from the flu I just had. I am so teriffied now I can't think. I don't think I can do this anymore. Thanks for the help. I just looked and sodium was 129.  Also , those other things, the Gbh or something, all that was normal.  Chloride was low too I think.  My blood sugar is slightly elevated at 114.  But my a1c is normal so he wasn't too concerned with that either.  Cholesterol is high but good cholesterol is good. Wanted to put me on Lipitor but I said no.  I am couchbound so my activity is nil.  This is terrible for my health I know.  He also didn't say anything about a low potassium diet.  I eat a banana every morning and some blueberries with yogurt.  I really don't eat much veggies, a few at dinner.  I don't have much appetite.  Anyway, sorry to lay this book on you, just I am so scared now.  I am probably in withdrawal or tolerance.  I cut a little and am down to 12 mg. of valium now.  I despair of ever being able to get off these drugs, am in so much pain and can't see any way forward.  I just can't believe the Dr.s told me to take this crap and now its all changed.  Thanks again for all you do here, you are so kind.

Hi freeme, yes it's the BP med that's causing the high potassium and low salt.  The med lowers aldosterone levels.  This is ok, but try not to go overboard on potassium rich foods.  You don't want potassium going much higher from where your are at.  The Na is definitely low, but if your MD is ok with it you should be fine.  It's not that low. On the BP and BP meds listen to your MD.  I know it's hard to do that, but you know how important it is to keep BP in control.  At least we know why your K and Na are diverging. 

I'm in the same boat regarding benzodiazaphine wd .  I'm much lower in the taper, but it's taken a long time. This stuff is dangerous and brutal.

Remember, go slowly and do a symptom based throttle. The model tells us to do that.  Benzodiazaphine symptoms themselves are enormous negative stressors. Avoid them like the plague.

Your cutting rate looks fine.  Keep it between 5-10% every month, lower if needed  like you are doing.

And This too shall pass.... and Heb 13:5-6

Yes DM,  Bless you for all you do.  I just am so sick and terrified and every stress just goes so out of proportion for me.  I panic so easily.  When I think of the person I was and what I am now reduced to its awfully depressing.  Thanks fro the bible verse, so very comforting and love to read the Bible and pray.  Bless you for the work you are doing.

Hi dim123

Hi Shahid,

I'm sorry to hear about your weight loss.  I've had low B12 before.  You need to continue taking a daily b12 supplement after the loading dose, to make sure you maintain serum levels.  If you can handle it, preferably the methylcobalamin form....

Regarding your persistent weight loss, have you been tested for celiac.  There are specific tests that they can run to determine if you have celiac.  There are some issues that can cause low b12, and I'm sure you've already researched them and know about them.  When you mentioned weight loss in combination with low b12 that's the first thing that came to mind.  It's also referred to as sprue  Also have you had your thyroid checked? 

Hi dm123, thanks for the reply, i m not vegetarian, doctors has checked my Pernicious Anemia twice both time came back normal,they have checked celiac cam back normal, they did colonoscopy and endoscopy came back normal, they did stool test which showed it might be IBD but consultant said its not reliable test and i went for Wireless capsule endoscopy about more than two weeks ago waiting for the results, they did my CT scan but nothing about my IBD , they did ultrasound which showed fatty liver but a part from this everything normal, all this is done from feb 2017 to may 2017 , in June they find out about b12 deficiency, my thyroid is checked many times in last year, last time checked two weeks ago my thyroid is 3.02 , i can not take b12 supplements in tablets and spray form they give me intestinal pain along with other issues, even after b12 injections i feel bad for a week and then start settling down, this weight loss is so scary part, i thought once it went up it will not come down again, but its coming down rapidly again, i m feeling so low, feel like as a layer over my heart and chest, i feel so gaseous, i feel as bubbles are poping up in my belly at different places, i can hear some sounds, i feel pain in tummy, always have loose stool although i feel constipated but stool are loose never properly formed i also get dyrhea, most of my tummy symptoms get better when b12 goes up, no idea because of tummy issue i have b12 deficinecy or becauase of b12 deficiency i have tummy issue, i start loosing glow and sparkle of my face when go down in b12 in fact since i stop taking benzo i m complete different person in looking, sometime i feel to suicide but then i m afraid of death as well.Some morning i get badly irritated eyes, some morning i can not open my eyes without help, badly blury vision that could be because of b12 as well, each bone started to click my vitamins D level is 19 again can not take supplement for Vitamin D its hurts the intestine, i personally think my every single symptoms is my tummy but do not know what the problem is >:(

Hi dim123

Hi Shahid,

Hi dm123, thanks for the reply, i m not vegetarian, doctors has checked my Pernicious Anemia twice both time came back normal,they have checked celiac cam back normal, they did colonoscopy and endoscopy came back normal, they did stool test which showed it might be IBD but consultant said its not reliable test and i went for Wireless capsule endoscopy about more than two weeks ago waiting for the results, they did my CT scan but nothing about my IBD , they did ultrasound which showed fatty liver but a part from this everything normal, all this is done from feb 2017 to may 2017 , in June they find out about b12 deficiency, my thyroid is checked many times in last year, last time checked two weeks ago my thyroid is 3.02 , i can not take b12 supplements in tablets and spray form they give me intestinal pain along with other issues, even after b12 injections i feel bad for a week and then start settling down, this weight loss is so scary part, i thought once it went up it will not come down again, but its coming down rapidly again, i m feeling so low, feel like as a layer over my heart and chest, i feel so gaseous, i feel as bubbles are poping up in my belly at different places, i can hear some sounds, i feel pain in tummy, always have loose stool although i feel constipated but stool are loose never properly formed i also get dyrhea, most of my tummy symptoms get better when b12 goes up, no idea because of tummy issue i have b12 deficinecy or becauase of b12 deficiency i have tummy issue, i start loosing glow and sparkle of my face when go down in b12 in fact since i stop taking benzo i m complete different person in looking, sometime i feel to suicide but then i m afraid of death as well.Some morning i get badly irritated eyes, some morning i can not open my eyes without help, badly blury vision that could be because of b12 as well, each bone started to click my vitamins D level is 19 again can not take supplement for Vitamin D its hurts the intestine, i personally think my every single symptoms is my tummy but do not know what the problem is >:(

Hi Shahid

I just read your signature/profile and noticed you are still on a PPI.

I was on one a few years ago, and know a bit about  them.

They interfere with the absorption of many vitamins, minerals and nutrients, one of which is b12.  I am suprised your doctor did not advise you on this, or perhaps I shouldn't be surprised he did not.

https://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/news/20131210/acid-reflux-drugs-tied-to-lower-levels-of-vitamin-b-12#1

You can also google magnesium, calcium and vitamin D and PPIs.

You are also on Zantac which also interferes with B12 absorption.

In addition you need to get a good probiotic.  PPIs lower stomach acid and mess up the intestinal flora.  I use VSL #3. 

Please find a way to supplement b12, calcium , vitamin D (I know you had mentioned you cannot take it orally.  I use liquid vitamin D from Thorne.  You can buy it online), and especially magnesium. 

It's very well known in the United States about PPIs and nutrient depletion.

If you cannot tolerate oral b12 then you must continue to get subcutaneous b12 injections, as the loading dose is fading away far too fast.  As you load for longer periods of time, your liver will build up the storage reserves of B12, so that your serum levels,won't be dropping and moving around so much..  You can learn how to do the injections yourself, if required.  It's very easy.  Preferably , with your doctor's consent 1000 mcg a few times a week.  Injectible methylcobalamin is the active form, and is the best form. (You will need to refrigerate it, and keep all light blocked out from the tube) You would need an Rx from your doctor and could get the Rx filled at most compounding pharmacies.

Do you mind me asking where you live?

For your severe and horrible GI issues, you might have to investigate parasitic infection.  They have newer DNA based stool testing.  Unfortunately it is expensive, but well worth it.  The microscopic stool testing ,which I assume you've already had misses up to 60% of the time for several common parasitic infections like  giardiasis.

The other challenge: in this area of medicine (infectious disease and parasite control) there are a lot of quacks.  Finding a good doctor in this area that does DNA testing is difficult even in the United States.

Finally, if they discover any microscopic worm infections, do not take Ivermectin if you are also taking a benzodiazaphine.  It's very dangerous.  I can post the research in this area if you need it, but just don't take the two concurrently, at all.(even spacing them apart several hours is dangerous)

Please start out by working with the doctor who Rx'ed the PPI and tell him you need nutrient support

B12

Magnesium

Calcium

Vitamin D

Please let us know how things go after discussing with your doctor.(MD)

I hope this helps.

Thanks a Lot dm123 for sparing your time for us.

Sorry being lazy to update my Profile here, when i was given first six shots of loading doses in june2017 i started to have pain right in my stomach, this website educate me and i straight left PPI  it was Esomaprazole and pain in the stomach stooped, since then i never took any PPI, i sometime feel acidity and kept on taking Zantac which i also in Mid of January 2018, from 20th april 2017 to August 2017 i kept on taking sertraline SSRI, i stopped taking that one as well in august 2017, only medication i m on till todate is 'Atenolol' a bete block for my blood pressure.

I was given Vitamin D3 tablets by prescription now to try on, tried yesterday two one in the after noon and other in night and again started to have intestinal problems, today i just took half of the D3 tablet which equal to 200UI to check how it goes on. D3 tablet also have Calcium in it, tablet called Adcel

Doctors are not willing to give me anymore b12 injections although my b12 levels are now 413 and they said its above the reference range 180 so we can not continue treatment. Self injection is the option i m left with i think to buy injections from Germany.

I live in UK ( Swindon)

My Stool Culture was done in June 2017 and came back with below results

Pathology Investigations

FAECAL CULTURE

Faeces appearance Semiformed.

FAECAL WET PREPARATION No Cysts of Giardia lamblia seen.

FAECAL MICROSCOPY No Cryptosporidia Oocysts seen.

FAECAL CULTURE No Salmonella species isolated.

No Shigella species isolated.

No Campylobacter species isolated

No Esc.coli 0157 isolated.

No Vibrio species isolated.

No Shigella species isolated.

No Campylobacter species isolated

No Esc.coli 0157 isolated.

No Vibrio species isolated.

FAECAL CONCENTRATION No ova or cysts seen.

Another Test showed which was taken on the second day of first stool test

FAECAL CALPROTECTIN

FAECAL CALPROTECTIN 289 ug/g

FAECAL CALPROTECTIN COMMENT Faecal calprotectin suggests organic pathology.

Refer urgently to gastroenterology.

Just before this test on 24 may colonoscopy was and and on 19th May my CT scan was done also, they did Endoscopy on 10 April 2017 none of this showed any celiac or other problems, my stool test above showed i have IBD, but doctor said this test is not a relaiable test and they could not see anything in Colonoscopy and Endoscopy biopsies as well, also CT Scan was normal, on 18th of January 2018 to double check again and to verify once again what stool test showed they did Wireless Capsule Endoscopy and yesterday doctor told me its normal,

When u say Parasites is there any separate test for that, do you mean a Candida testing, i asked doc to test for Candida and said i m trying to catch a straw as nothing is there, and on my GP level they can not do any Candida testing i have to see consultant again.

Magnesium levels were checked on 28th September 2017 and it came back as below

Serum magnesium level

Serum magnesium level 0.95 mmol/L [0.7 - 1.0]

Shall i take some Magnesium Vitamins?

I know post will become quite long i m sorry but because i m worried and its always get very hard to get all answers by doctors as they look at my face as i have gone crazy

Could you check my Below Results of CBC ( Complete blood count) does it indicate anything or its normal they will keep fluctuating.

Blood Test Taken on 8th June 2017 ( CBC Results ) At that time i was never given any b12 shots my b12 at this point was 102 and folate was 6.3

Haemoglobin concentration 147 g/L [130.0 - 170.0]

Red blood cell count 5.02 10*12/L [4.5 - 6.5]

PCV 0.439 [0.4 - 0.54]

Mean cell volume 87.0 fL [83.0 - 101.0]

Mean cell haemoglobin level 29.3 pg [27.0 - 32.0]

Mean cell haemoglobin concentration 335 g/L [315.0 - 360.0]

Total white blood count 5.3 10*9/L [4.0 - 10.0]

Neutrophil count 3.04 10*9/L [2.0 - 7.0]

Percentage neutrophil count 57.4

Lymphocyte count 1.71 10*9/L [1.0 - 3.0]

Percentage lymphocyte count 32.3

Monocyte count - observation 0.42 10*9/L [0.2 - 1.0]

Percentage monocyte count 7.9

Eosinophil count - observation 0.09 10*9/L [0.02 - 0.5]

Percentage eosinophil count 1.7

Basophil count 0.04 10*9/L [0.0 - 0.1]

Percentage basophil count 0.7

Platelet count - observation 317 10*9/L [150.0 - 400.0]

Mean platelet volume 9.3 fL

Blood Test Taken on 24 of September 2017 ( CBC Results) after about three months of b12 six shots , B12 at this point was 646 and folate 14.1

Haemoglobin concentration 149 g/L [130.0 - 170.0]

Red blood cell count 5.13 10*12/L [4.5 - 6.5]

PCV 0.447 [0.4 - 0.54]

Mean cell volume 87.0 fL [83.0 - 101.0]

Mean cell haemoglobin level 29.0 pg [27.0 - 32.0]

Mean cell haemoglobin concentration 334 g/L [315.0 - 360.0]

Total white blood count 5.6 10*9/L [4.0 - 10.0]

Neutrophil count 3.15 10*9/L [2.0 - 7.0]

Percentage neutrophil count 56.2

Lymphocyte count 1.86 10*9/L [1.0 - 3.0]

Percentage lymphocyte count 33.3

Monocyte count - observation 0.41 10*9/L [0.2 - 1.0]

Percentage monocyte count 7.3

Eosinophil count - observation 0.13 10*9/L [0.02 - 0.5]

Percentage eosinophil count 2.3

Basophil count 0.05 10*9/L [0.0 - 0.1]

Percentage basophil count 0.9

Platelet count - observation 297 10*9/L [150.0 - 400.0]

Mean platelet volume 9.0 fL

Blood Test Taken on 24 of Jan 2018 - CBC Results Recently prior to this i was given another shot of b12 on 31-10-2017 , B12 now is 413 and folate is 17.1

Full blood count

Haemoglobin concentration 133 g/L [130.0 - 170.0]

Red blood cell count 4.50 10*12/L [4.5 - 6.5]

PCV 0.381 [0.4 - 0.54]

Below low reference limit

Mean cell volume 85.0 fL [83.0 - 101.0]

Mean cell haemoglobin level 29.6 pg [27.0 - 32.0]

Mean cell haemoglobin concentration 350 g/L [315.0 - 360.0]

Total white blood count 4.1 10*9/L [4.0 - 10.0]

Neutrophil count 1.76 10*9/L [2.0 - 7.0]

Below low reference limit

Percentage neutrophil count 42.9

Lymphocyte count 1.73 10*9/L [1.0 - 3.0]

Percentage lymphocyte count 42.2

Monocyte count - observation 0.45 10*9/L [0.2 - 1.0]

Percentage monocyte count 11.0

Eosinophil count - observation 0.11 10*9/L [0.02 - 0.5]

Percentage eosinophil count 2.8

Basophil count 0.05 10*9/L [0.0 - 0.1]

Percentage basophil count 1.1

Platelet count - observation 208 10*9/L [150.0 - 400.0]

Mean platelet volume 9.9 fL

My Last CBS makes me stressed and worried that something is going on wrong in my body that is why when i compare CBC reading from previous readings its going down.

Thanks & Regards

Shahid