DP/DR Support group

[mi...]

I’m not sure whether this is rare or not, but I’m stuck in a derealization state.

It’s been 3 long months.

Anyone else “stuck” ?

Yes, I’ve been like this for 9 months since my C/T and I’m starting to think I might have permanently messed myself up.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Aj...]

• [jo...]

• [Gr...]

• [ke...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not sure whether this is rare or not, but I’m stuck in a derealization state.

It’s been 3 long months.

Anyone else “stuck” ?

Yes, I’ve been like this for 9 months since my C/T and I’m starting to think I might have permanently messed myself up.

I'm a little concerned for myself too. Keeps happening, doesn't seem to stop.

[26...]
I went for a walk today just literally about a quarter mile around my block and I felt so disconnected that I started hyperventilating. I thought for sure I was going to collapse on the ground and be rushed to the hospital. But I was fine. It's insane how quickly I go from "feeling weird but ok" to "crisis mode". I don't even consciously think about it, it just happens. I'm so tired of feeling so disconnected from everything and everyone it's exhausting and terrifying no matter how many times I tell myself that it can't hurt me.

I am not on this site much anymore, because I am almost 100% healed.  I wanted to encourage all of you that this is NOT permanent.  I felt this way for a long time, almost 3 years.  The DP would come and go.  Eventually, the feeling will leave.  I still occasionally, will feel disconnected, like a acid trip from the 70's. It doesn't last long.  I tell myself that it is withdrawal and my body is healing. I find a distraction that will remove me from thinking about how weird I feel.  No use trying to explain the feeling to someone who hasn't been through this.  Avoid negative people and stressful situations (hard to do, I know)  Exercise helps.  Meditation helps.  Be kind to yourself.  You are not crazy, you are not dying, this is not a permanent condition.  Hard to believe when you are going through this ordeal.  Also, each and every one of us is different.  For some, DP/DR only lasts a short time, but for others it feels like it will never end.  I never took another drug or medication again after 4/9/2015. I am sending healing thoughts of health to all of you.  :-*

I had visual DR for over 2 yrs after my detox. I got used to it. DP is much worse and in  my opinion there is a sharp distinction between the two.

When I look in the mirror I look fine and normal.  But whats weird is that I don't feel at all like I look.  I feel like I'm looking at a stranger cause I feel like a crazy person.  It's like I'm two different people, the outside one and the inside one.  So far I can't get the two to come together.  How much longer will this take?

[26...]
So I've been forcing myself to go outside at least for ten minutes everyday but just now I had this sensation like I was detached not only from everything around me but from my limbs too. It really freaked me out. Like I didn't feel like I was connected to my legs and I was frozen in place but not quite in the "fight, flight or freeze" way if that makes any sense. I'm really trying to take the fear out of this as much as possible but God it is so hard.

When I look in the mirror I look fine and normal.  But whats weird is that I don't feel at all like I look.  I feel like I'm looking at a stranger cause I feel like a crazy person.  It's like I'm two different people, the outside one and the inside one.  So far I can't get the two to come together.  How much longer will this take?

Here's a question though. You are describing something visual, namely that you look better than you feel. That's actually OK. But do you feel as if your mind is occupied by another entity that you don't recognize? Do you have a bad acid trip feeling? That's DP. Much more upsetting.

I also have visual DR.

Did it lessen over time , or was it a sudden change back to normal ?

I really dont know. I think the world just gradually came into focus. Like I said I was able to ignore it because my head otherwise felt ok if a bit cloudy and groggy.

So I've been forcing myself to go outside at least for ten minutes everyday but just now I had this sensation like I was detached not only from everything around me but from my limbs too. It really freaked me out. Like I didn't feel like I was connected to my legs and I was frozen in place but not quite in the "fight, flight or freeze" way if that makes any sense. I'm really trying to take the fear out of this as much as possible but God it is so hard.

Sounds like classic DP. Common and time limited, but very upsetting. Hang tough and try to distract.

[26...]
You mentioned in another comment feeling like your mind has been invaded by a foreign entity and THAT is what I can't come to grips with. It makes DP/DR by far my worst symptom. It's so hard not to feel like I'm going crazy or having a physical emergency.

You mentioned in another comment feeling like your mind has been invaded by a foreign entity and THAT is what I can't come to grips with. It makes DP/DR by far my worst symptom. It's so hard not to feel like I'm going crazy or having a physical emergency.

The alien inside you. Taking over your perceptions, emotions, thoughts, feelings and memories. And even making you feel physically ill. The essence of depersonalization. Been there. That's a bad bitch for sure. Its not permanent try to remember that. I personally think Cymbalta knocked that down for me.

Just want to jump in, and give you some hope and strength! :)

I did a CT, after being polydrugged for 25 years, I have reviewed all the symptoms that exist. One of the most scary symptoms was just DR/DP. I was absolutely sure, my brain was completely bombarded, and destroyed forever.

But all this horrible has passed, and my remaining symptoms are more physical. Now, I understand what benzo was doing. I thought, I was just getting dumber and dumber, and I didn`t  recognize myself. I understood, I'll never ever get better until benzo is out of the system, only then begins the brain to heal.

I'm writing a lot about brain gymnastics, but it was certainly my rescue ( I would absolutely NOT, never ever!)  But i think it was this, that started the brain, and my DR/DP disappeared quite soon. Sometimes I hurried 5-10 minutes, because my brain fatique took all strengths.

I have not recognized myself in the mirror, or my own home. Has "hovered above the body", cramps, hallucinations - yes, you all know. But now the brain feels clearer than ever, it's very big difference if I compare the time with benzo, and without.

I'm really suffering with you, it's absolutely terrible. But I promise, the brain will heal, even after CT and polydrugged for 25 years. If I got well, you will also be. Fight on! :)

Just want to jump in, and give you some hope and strength! :)

After doing a CT, after being polydrugged for 25 years, I have reviewed all the symptoms that exist. One of the most scary symptoms was just DR/DP. I was absolutely sure, my brain was completely bombarded, and destroyed forever.

But all this horrible has passed, and my remaining symptoms are more physical. Now, I understand what benzo was doing. I thought, I was just getting dumber and dumber, and I didn`t  recognize myself. I understood, I'll never ever get better until benzo is out of the system, only then begins the brain to heal.

I'm writing a lot about brain gymnastics, but it was certainly my rescue ( I would absolutely NOT, never ever!)  But i think it was this, that started the brain, and my DR/DP disappeared quite soon. Sometimes I hurried 5-10 minutes, because my brain fatique took all strengths.

I have not recognized myself in the mirror, or my own home. Has "hovered above the body", cramps, hallucinations - yes, you all know. But now the brain feels clearer than ever, it's very big difference if I compare the time with benzo, and without.

I'm really suffering with you, it's absolutely terrible. But I promise, the brain will heal, even after CT and polydrugged for 25 years. If I got well, you will also be. Fight on! :)

:smitten:

Does anyone else have tactile DP?

My sense of touch is so unreal Ibdon't know if itbis a form of DP or something else.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone  :o

I would really like to join this thread and felt so comforted to read of other people's experience, I am not insane. 

I can relate to everyone.  DR is the most terrible thing.  Frightening and always lonely. 

Another day begins.  Yay.  :-\

I don't have the tactile stuff in the sense of how things "feel" Adjusta but do have an awareness of my fingertips.  The pads of my fingers.  In itself it doesn't sound a big deal, but is very frightening in its intensity. 

Dee

• 2 weeks later...
[26...]

I'm freaking out so badly right now. I have DP/DR so bad that sometimes I can't remember what I did literally 5 minutes ago and then I'll be "zapped" back into the present moment. I swear it feels like I have dementia and with the headaches and dizziness I have to stop myself from calling 911. I'm just like frozen in fear right now though, nothing in my room feels real at all. It's like I want to escape to somewhere where I can feel safe but that place doesn't exist.

Does this happen with anyone else? I know people get memory loss issues but to this level of severity?

[26...]
I'm sorry you're going through this too. Is there anything that you've found that works as a distraction during times like this?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have you heard a dog bark, when you are going to sleep? This, has happened several times during the withdrawal. It's only once. I'm 30 months free.

• Popular Now