Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Has anyone tried St. John's Wort for depression?

[st...]

Darrin,

The clinic I worked in....one of the docs used it on some patients.... I think it is truly case by case.  Alot of people responded well.  In fact most people did.  The thing with St. John's is that it can interact with other meds so you need to do your research on that.  I'm not sure what the interaction with benzos is.  I know you aren't supposed to take it with ad  Like I said I'd just do my research before I took it b/c of the interaction factor

Hope you are well

;)

Mel, I did a little more research after I posted this question.  Looks like the majority think it is bad idea.  I'm already on 15mg of Remeron which is a tetracyclic AD.  I really don't want to go up in the dosage or try another AD but this depression is literally no fun. 

Darrin,

I forgot you were on that.  Then I wouldn't do it. Maybe St. Johns will be a good option when you are off and not taking the ad if you still need something?  You know as bad as it is and it's really bad sometimes this will pass.  I would try not to updose but that is completely up to you.  Just getting through this is the important part.  The depression and anxiety in this are truly daunting.  I know how you feel believe me I do.  As you know anxiety has been my beast during this.  You think the anxiety is the worst but the depression is pretty darn bad too.  Thanks for your support.  I hope that you hit a positive spot soon.  Just think though you are so close and this will be a memory soon.

Love you

Mel

I tried it eyars ago.  When I did start feeling better I was still taking it so I was never totally sure if it contributed to me pulling out of the depression.

Some therapist insisted that it's "impossible" for it to work though.  I told him well even my medical doctor siad it's possible it can help some people.  The therapist then got MAD I said that.  It's amazing how many therapists and psychiatrists have more mental issues than the patients/clients.  They have anger issues and are usually really weird.

Midnight, I think you are so right.  I think that a lot not all.  Went into the field to try and calm their own demons. They may be in need of more help than the rest of us.

yes.  I've seen on sites such as this, for example, where people were suffering with a lot of this and were going into the field.  Good that they could then have experienced it and know what the clients were going through, but bad in that they will still be having issues themselves.

• 2 weeks later...