It's a shame we don't have medical professionals checking in here

[Na...]

I wasn't even talking about tapering benzos, more about risks of drugs given to patients and taking that into account.

'The only thing other doctors told him (he's an ER doc) was that if a patient asks for a benzo, give it to him.' Are you sure you understood ? It doesn't make any sense. Give everyone who asks for a benzo a benzo ? If there is a medical indication that's one thing ...

If someone is in the ER freaking out with anxiety, that's enough indication in their book.

I wasn't even talking about tapering benzos, more about risks of drugs given to patients and taking that into account.

'The only thing other doctors told him (he's an ER doc) was that if a patient asks for a benzo, give it to him.' Are you sure you understood ? It doesn't make any sense. Give everyone who asks for a benzo a benzo ? If there is a medical indication that's one thing ...

If someone is in the ER freaking out with anxiety, that's enough indication in their book.

Yeah - if a patient presents in the ER anxious, hyperventilating and reporting panic sxs  - I don't think the doc has been trained to discharge the patient with relaxation tapes.  Benzos do the trick and you can d/c the patient quickly to empty the bed.  And it's  "Next?"  Benzos definitely are the "git er done" miracle of medicine.  We, of course, know differently so one hopes time will tell - in research and patient/victims organizing.

It is the issue of expediency in medicine.  Docs in private practice, for the most part, do not have first hand knowledge of the evil properties of benzos and, so, prescribe them too long.  The devil is in the prescribing sort of off label this way that docs have to look at.  ANd soon lawyers, too.  Why do they continue to do this against the insert warnings?  WBB

Nathan, did your doc do a screening test for autoantibodies?  I always talk about getting the ANA, anti-nuclear antibody, screening test, at least, to rule out autoantibodies.  Something is destroying your RBC's for your hemaglobin to be high, isn't it?  Maybe it's autoimmune problems?

Nathan, did your doc do a screening test for autoantibodies?  I always talk about getting the ANA, anti-nuclear antibody, screening test, at least, to rule out autoantibodies.  Something is destroying your RBC's for your hemaglobin to be high, isn't it?  Maybe it's autoimmune problems?

He hasn't done an ANA test, but my understanding is that it isn't that my red blood cells are being destroyed (in fact my RBC count is on the high end of normal), it is that the RBCs themselves contain too much hemoglobin because the bone marrow is making too much hemoglobin.

Here's a fun fact - In the spring of 2014 my hemoglobin was a perfectly normal 15.8, which is right about where it had been for ages.

Towards the end of summer 2015, after tapering lunesta and then discontinuing on July 2nd, five weeks later (August 7) it was 17.8, two points higher and in the "high" range.  I happened to have a CBC test because I was in the ER thinking that I was having a heart attack (oh the joys of those first months after jumping off).

I'm building a time line to show my doc.  I think he'll pay about as much attention to it as anything else I've brought him, which is to say none, but you have to try, right? 

Nathan, something's out of balance for your bone marrow to be doing that?  At least get an ANA test.  It could rule alot of stuff out, IMO. 

Yes I understood as I had a long conversation with him about benzos. He now ignores those warnings as he's seen many people who end up being very bad off. When people are in the ER, they are frantic and will ask for anything to calm them down.

• 6 years later...

Nathan did your high hemoglobin go away?

I feel like the Medical Professionals HAVE deserted us. They just hope we finally shut up and go away. They are cowards - nothing at all like us - WARRIOR !! My recent experience in the hospital I told medical people of my plight and they just dismissed me as some kind of demented old lady. So I just shut up, did what I was told so I could just get out of there.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a tough thing to ask of a doctor. Especially a physchiatrist. Go to school forn8 years, do your best and then try to face a fact that you may have caused such suffering in so many patients lives.

I am not sure if i would want to look at that truth in the face either.

Its a tough thing to ask of a doctor. Especially a physchiatrist. Go to school forn8 years, do your best and then try to face a fact that you may have caused such suffering in so many patients lives.

I am not sure if i would want to look at that truth in the face either.

Doing the right thing is frequently not the easiest thing. And it's often the last thing you want to do.

Being a moral person is difficult.

These drug companies and doctors that wrote these prescriptions did a lot of damage. The least they can do is make an attempt to fix what they broke.

I agree. I never found morality difficult and I studied business lol. I have found out there are more sharks and egos in medicine than they ever were in business. I thought my classmates going into investment banking were bad. They are not half as bad as the doctors I've spoken to tbh.

• 1 month later...

It's not a shame. It's smart. Doctors aren't going to admit drugs they push hurt people. That would be self incrimination.

Also, Medical Doctors aren't scientist. They don't know what these drug really do inside the body. They just do what the pharmaceutical companies tell them.

Although they are the exception rather than the rule, some medical professionals do use online support forums such as BenzoBuddies and Surviving Antidepressants to learn about psychiatric drug effects and injuries.  For example, psychiatrists Josef and Marissa Witt-Doerring recently posted about this on their YouTube channel:

Where people are getting Drug Side effect information

Indeed, Libertas, also don't forget, we are a subgroup of a subgroup unfortunately. Many people fare fine or are properly advised or have minor issues they don't realize is/was withdrawal. Like I had with the cortisone. I realized too late. But I got better quickly, then just this ruined it all.