Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Weighted blankets? Salt lamps?

[bf...]

I haven't used salt lamps either, nor do I know anything about them.  However, I have used a weighted blanket at various times during my recovery with good results. 

One thing to be aware of is that it can take awhile to become accustomed to a true weighted blanket.  My first reaction was panic (and this is common with people who have sensitive nervous systems) from feeling like I couldn't get out from under it.  It helps to use it during the day first, not in bed but on the couch. 

It's also best not to have one that is too big...covering the torso (not lower legs/feet) worked best for me. 

I love my salt lamp. Regardless of the health claims I find the glow to be comforting and easy on my overtired, overstressed eyeballs. I make sure that it and other low-watt, orange lights are the only ones I use at night.

As to the purification benefits- I'm not sure but my room feels cleaner and calmer after getting one. If it's just a placebo effect I don't care. It works for me.

I love my salt lamp. Regardless of the health claims I find the glow to be comforting and easy on my overtired, overstressed eyeballs. I make sure that it and other low-watt, orange lights are the only ones I use at night.

As to the purification benefits- I'm not sure but my room feels cleaner and calmer after getting one. If it's just a placebo effect I don't care. It works for me.

Interesting information on the salt lamp. Would you mind if I ask where you got it and are there different kinds?

I ordered it online. Amazon has some- as long as it's pure Himalayan salt it should work the same. Large blocks of salt evaporate water from the air and have a de-ionizing effect. The rougher the block the better, because that increases surface area. I also think they look very nice and glow-y.

More general info:

http://wellnessmama.com/23569/himalayan-salt-lamp-benefits/

My brother has a salt lamp, but I'm not sure it has done anything for him.  Sometimes he says he keeps it on low when sleeping.  Not sure how effective they are, however.

I ordered it online. Amazon has some- as long as it's pure Himalayan salt it should work the same. Large blocks of salt evaporate water from the air and have a de-ionizing effect. The rougher the block the better, because that increases surface area. I also think they look very nice and glow-y.

More general info:

Thank you for the information and the link petiterouge. What's funny is that last night I was telling my hubby about salt lamps after seeing your post and asked if he thought I should go to Amazon and order one. Right away he said no. I asked why and he said "Because there is one sitting under our Christmas tree!"  LOL  So I get to try one out pretty soon!!

More general info:

Thank you for the information and the link petiterouge. What's funny is that last night I was telling my hubby about salt lamps after seeing your post and asked if he thought I should go to Amazon and order one. Right away he said no. I asked why and he said "Because there is one sitting under our Christmas tree!"  LOL  So I get to try one out pretty soon!!

Nice! Please report back once you've given it a go.  :thumbsup:

I don't have a factory weighted blanket but I have a sheet, 2 heavy blankets and a heavy bed spread that I sleep under and they do seem to help. if they do nothing else, I don't ever get cold!!!

More general info:

Nice! Please report back once you've given it a go.  :thumbsup:

Tonight we each opened up one gift and mine was my salt lamp. Here is a picture of it sitting on top of our wood stove. I love how I can look at it and it doesn't hurt my eyes. And it's so pretty!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n108/PioneerSpirit/Miscellaneous/Salt%20Lamp%202%20red.jpg

It really is beautiful!  I like the tradition of opening a gift on Christmas Eve. We do that as well....sort of.  Well, we open one gift and that is so much fun that we usually don't stop until all the presents are gone!  :laugh:

It really is beautiful!  I like the tradition of opening a gift on Christmas Eve. We do that as well....sort of.  Well, we open one gift and that is so much fun that we usually don't stop until all the presents are gone!  :laugh:

LOL! Having a problem with self-control are we? lol

LOL! Having a problem with self-control are we? lol

I'm an open book!  :laugh:

My husband asked for a salt lamp for Christmas but we haven't hooked it up yet. I'll be interested to see if it has a calming influence.

My blanket isn't heavy but I like to sleep with a heavy and moldable feather pillow over my head (I sleep on my side). It's comforting and blocks out many sounds, and I have a hard time getting to sleep without one.

My husband asked for a salt lamp for Christmas but we haven't hooked it up yet. I'll be interested to see if it has a calming influence.

My blanket isn't heavy but I like to sleep with a heavy and moldable feather pillow over my head (I sleep on my side). It's comforting and blocks out many sounds, and I have a hard time getting to sleep without one.

We liked our salt lamp so much we ordered some for our bedroom and a night light for our master bath. I LOVE the fact that I can actually look at it and it doesn't bother my eyes. And it has such a warm, comforting glow.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a side note on the salt lamps. In humidity they melt and you have salt everywhere. We put ours on plates so the salt is easy to clean up.

I love the gentle warm glow on my eyes as well, especially as we are getting ready for bed at night. We have one in almost every room of our house. I don't know if they actually have any health benefits but I like the ambience.

Hugs

I actually have a salt lamp, I also diffuse oils, like peace and stuff like that. I find they both help have my lamp on right now actually :D. Would recommend it!

• 1 month later...
I have a small bamboo pillow that fits nicely on my chest. It has some weight to it and helps me stay calmer during the night. Seems silly but it helps.

I really like the idea of a weighted blanket for my wife. She sleeps with approx 7 blankets.....yes 7 that's not a typo. I wanted to get her one for Christmas but got confused on where to buy and the pricing seemed outrageous. We have 2 salt lamps which look nice but she finds no real therapeutic effect from them.

Cheapest one I see is for a 40lb child and it's $291 bucks. Wow that's a hell of a deal  ::)

I'm in Canada by the way......that's why I asked if this was in the US. Amazon.ca is a whole different ballgame.