Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

What is a lucid dream?

[Be...]

I hear so much about lucid dreaming, but I have no idea what it is or if I've ever had one.  Are you awake or asleep when you have it?  Is it a vision when you're awake? 

Hi Becksblue,

A lucid dream is when you are asleep, but aware that you are experiencing a dream. Often, knowing that you are dreaming will allow you to take control of the action to some extent. A good example would be deciding to fly in your dream because you know that you are not being constrained by the rules of the real world. In my experience it is often hard to exert full control and often these dream abilities start to waiver as my more rational mind tells me that certain things are impossible to do.

Another example of a lucid dream is one that I experienced not too long ago is when I fell asleep and the ensuing dream felt so real that I though that I was awake. In this dream I stepped outside only to discover a very surreal environment. I was shocked, but then was able to tell myself that I must be dreaming and started to explore a bit before I awoke.