Important Survey - Please Participate ×

depression worsening during taper

[Ho...]

I started my taper two weeks ago. I am feeling really depressed. I have all these withdrawal symptoms-aches,pains,shortness of breath, brain twitches. etc.I cry everyday.I feel like I will never get off klonopin. I know people out there have felt this despair. I am scared to call my psychiatrist because he is one of those doctors who says" you can just stop taking it whenever you want. You won't have a problem." How can a doctor be so ignorant?!

It is so weird because sometimes I feel I am getting better and then I am in a pit of despair.

Holly getting off the K is not the problem, you could dump the crap right in the trash tomorrow, the problem is healing so you need to taper down and heal. I know how you feel but it's a false state of mind and it passes.

I would get a new doc if he scares you, mine scares me too and I am working on just seeing a GP and go to some kind of therapy. Remember this, never show emotions to a psychiatrist it's a huge mistake they will want to prescribe something for you.

sundazed

Hi Holly,

I totally understand how you feel.  Depression hit me hard too during my taper and it was horrid at times.  Things have begun to slowly improve since I jumped off and they will for you too.  Once you are healed and recovered from your brush with the evil K beast, this depression will lift along with your other s/x.

Is there anyway you can get a new Pdoc?  Or perhaps a good therapist who understands benzo w/d so that you can talk about how this drug has made you feel?  I also am astounded at the medical professions ignorance when it comes to benzos?  Even my dental hygienist was fully aware of the dangers of benzos and was horrified when I told her how long my Pdoc had kept me on the poison.  Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Holly, I have battled depression on and off throughout my taper.  I'm in the midst of one of these battles right now and I know that it sucks.  But what I have gone through assures me that it will lift again, maybe not today or tomorrow but probably soon.  Just keep tapering at a reasonable rate.  If your psych keeps writing you scripts there is no need to change that is all you need him for.  Of course it would be great to find a doctor who would really want to help us get off these things but then what would he do?  They need us to need them.  Darrin