Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

when you no longer "feel like" taking sleep aids/meds....

[te...]

Hi All,

I've been pondering on this for about a week, because I've noticed that when I can't sleep, or when I think about "what will I do/take tonight" if I can't sleep, the thought of taking any medication (OTC or prescription) makes me MORE anxious.  It used to be that the sleep meds were my backup, and I had no problem taking them. But lately (really started last week) after I take something, I suddenly feel more anxious. It's like my brain knows it's being forced to do something it doesn't want to do!

I'm 4 months off benzos, a VERY short-term use (because of panic/insomnia). I've tried several different things, and right now I semi-alternate mirtazapine, unisom, melatonin. I also got a prescription for hydroxcycine which I only used twice. Some nights I take nothing. Last night I got that feeling of "i'm not going to be able to fall asleep" even though I was super tired and wanted to close my eyes before 7pm. I tried laying on sofa to rest, then bed, etc.... went back and forth on taking unisom. Finally around 11pm I settled on taking a melatonin knock out (it has melatonin and other supplements/herbs). Even though the sucker didn't really work (have no idea what time I fell asleep) I felt better that I didn't take a prescription or OTC pill. I KNOW I still took something, but for some reason the natural things seem gentler to me... even though they don't work that often. At least it sorta calmed me down so while I was laying there awake I was relaxed.

Did anyone on here have this moment, where all of a sudden you just wanted to stop forcing sleep? And is it a good sign? Did you go with it?

I have that fear that many of us share here, that I won't fall asleep (when I can't at night) and then that I'll never sleep again and end up dying from it. This only happens when I'm laying awake at night. I don't think these thoughts during the day, although I do spend a lot of time thinking about and problem solving my sleep issues. I've started meditating, several times a day. It is very helpful.

Hopefully someone else can relate to this, and maybe this post will help someone else, too!

Tealwater,

I think at some point we just get tired of fighting it.  That feeling comes and goes. lately for me I'm just getting sad that I'm taking mirtazapine. Used to be I welcomed taking it especially if it meant getting of clonazepam. But now 7 weeks later I'm getting tired of being on it so tapering to get off.  My only fear is not sleeping once I'm off it.

Tealwater,

I think at some point we just get tired of fighting it.  That feeling comes and goes. lately for me I'm just getting sad that I'm taking mirtazapine. Used to be I welcomed taking it especially if it meant getting of clonazepam. But now 7 weeks later I'm getting tired of being on it so tapering to get off.  My only fear is not sleeping once I'm off it.

I agree. I definitely have times where I get discouraged because I need something, and other times when I'm desperate and I'll do anything. This week, I KNEW I needed the mirtazapine on tuesday night because of the election. I slept horribly monday night and the next day anxiety hit me, and I was already scared of trying to sleep and then the election results traumatized me! I am trying to only take prescription and OTC sleeping aids 1-2x a week and trying natural or nothing other days. Including cannabis now, too. Hopefully I can get down to nothing but I'm trying to go with the flow.

Yep - I'm considering getting on Trazodone.  I can't stand my exhausted no - med days.  I am hitting carbs all day.  I feel like I'm living in a pinball machine.  I wake up early in pain and so can't get to sleep.  There are a million things to do -- some of them are actually important with endless phone calls.  I'm supposed to have a good dispostion.  Now on 3-4 hours a night sleep for weeks on end.  WBB

Yep - I'm considering getting on Trazodone.  I can't stand my exhausted no - med days.  I am hitting carbs all day.  I feel like I'm living in a pinball machine.  I wake up early in pain and so can't get to sleep.  There are a million things to do -- some of them are actually important with endless phone calls.  I'm supposed to have a good dispostion.  Now on 3-4 hours a night sleep for weeks on end.  WBB

You gotta do what is best for you! I hear you, I am hitting carbs a lot too and am back to drinking more coffee than I should. Although I don't drink it after lunch. I agree 100%, there are so many important things we need to be "on" for and constant exhaustion is not conducive to being a high functioning human. This week the day after the election I was so tired and depressed I couldn't even grade a stack of papers. It seemed like a huge insurmountable task. Trazodone helped me, it definitely made me sleep on half a dose (I could sleep on 25mg). I've since stopped using it because of the next day tiredness, but that comes with literally everything in pill form I think.