Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Alpha-STIM

[He...]

All,

I've been taking klonopin for 20 years at bedtime, since my mom died. The last time I tried to taper down was 7 years ago and I went through 9 months of hell where I  basically did not sleep for more than an hour each night. Insomnia always sets in whenever I try to drop down from my 1 mg dose.

Anxiety wise, going from 1 to .5 was always easier than i expected except for the sleep loss. I tried to convince myself that I didn't need much sleep, but sleep deprivation impacts my whole day. When it become cumulative I am just faking being a functional human being, as I am simply going through motions.  I don't know how so many people proudly go without sleep. My brain can't function in that state.

Anyway, in the past, when I tried to go lower than .5mg, all of the symptoms described by Dr Ashton would kick in. I don't even try to discuss this with psychiatrists anymore because they don't believe Dr Ashton. I had never heard of Dr Ashton until after I started having symptoms, so I know it wasn't her putting ideas in my head; it was real.

So, I have credibility here, trust me. And i have potentially good news !!!!

My psychiatrist attended a conference in early summer where he was given a demo of the ALPHA-STIM device. From their web site,

"Alpha-Stim uses Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES) to increase sleep time, reduce sleep disturbances, and improve overall sleep quality. "

I am here to attest that it WORKED for me. As I said, dropping down below 1 mg always brought back the insomnia and I was really disappointed when it came back yet again in my recent dosage decrease. So, I had my psychiatrist write me a script and purchased the ALPHA-STIM (Insurance doesn't cover it.) It was $795, $820 including tax and was the best investment I ever made. I go to bed at 11 and every night I do the alpha-stim from 9:30 pm to 10:30 while I watch tv. I then take a shower and hit the sack. Prior to ALPHA-STIM, I would be WIRED at night, unable to wind down, which has always been the problem with me. After a few weeks with this thing, I am having a hard time staying awake long enough to hit the pillow.

I know how horrifying trying to taper is and I waited a long time to write this endorsement because I don't want to give anyone false hope. I honestly thought I'd never find a way to taper off Benzos after all the struggles I've had with insomnia.

Once I dropped to .25 mg, I stopped sleeping through the night. I started getting up at 4 - 4:30 instead of 7 am. My psych told me to try melatonin and that seems to be helping. Today I woke up at 6 ! I only need an hour more to restore normality, which you all know will feel like my prayers have been answered.  The Alpha-STIM web site references people repeating the procedure if they wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. I have tried that twice. Once it worked and the other it didn't.

I have also recently had  a very good response from ketamine treatment which I'll write about in a different thread. That was well after the ALPHA-STIM, so I know it is the AS that addressed the insomnia.

ALPHA STIM has two products, one is for pain and the other is called AID for Anxiety, Insomnia and Depression. The device didn't do much for my depression, which is why I went for the Ketamine treatment. I don't know if it helped the anxiety, but it definitely helped with the insomnia. I know we are all different, but if you can afford it, I say you should try it. I believe they refund your money if it doesn't work.

Here's the web site:

http://www.alpha-stim.com/alpha-stim-technology/insomnia/

I swear that I have no financial interest in the company that sells the ALPHA-STIM, and there is no financial gain for me if you purchase this product.

[7d...]

Hi,

I'm in the UK and I bought and Alpha-Stim many years ago before any benzo use for anxiety. I found it worked wonders for anxiety, it definitely wasn't a placebo effect, it worked great. However I found if I used it too late in the day I would feel wired and couldn't sleep at all. We are all different so this is just my experience. It's a pricey gadget but 100% worked wonders for me for anxiety, sleep not so much. It's basically a TENS machine but instead of treating pain it clips to you ears and calms your brainwaves.