Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Worse at 4.5 months out than in earlier months -no sleep last night. Is this WD?

[Sl...]

I did not sleep at all last night. My sleep is not getting better. In fact it is worse now than in my first months. I have read here about windows and waves but I have been much worse in last 30 days than in my first months. Could this be a wave?  I am so confused (and tired). I have tried dozens of medications and supplements. What seems to work for others does nothing for me. I am clinging to hope but am so very tired.  To those that have made it through this ordeal and are now providing support to those of us currently going through it, all I can say is: God bless you!

Sleeplessinmn,

Time will pass and so will your insomnia. It may be a long time before your nights are back to normal, but each mile marker of improvement that you pass on your road to recovery is going to make your life better and better. Our GABA receptors just don't bounce back very fast once impaired by these drugs.

Thank you aloha,  I really need that encouragement. I didn't sleep at all last night again and I'm almost at 5 months out.  Is it possible this is not withdrawal?  Why am I sleeping worse 4 and 5 months after last dose than at 2 and 3 months?  I know recovery is not even but I have taken a major step back.

I'm sure that there are many other reasons for insomnia other than benzo and z-drug withdrawal, but if benzos or z-drugs were being used prior to the onset of sudden severe insomnia, it will be hard to dismiss the connection. It is hard to say why your insomnia is worse now than earlier, but you have not been off the drugs long enough to expect the insomnia to have resolved itself yet. Maybe you are now getting more sleep on your better nights so you are not as tired and find it harder to sleep on bad nights. I noticed that at certain stages, there are varying minimal amounts of sleep that our bodies give into. You sleep when a line has been crossed, but stay awake until your batteries start to run down again.

I also find that my sleep is way up and down at times now. Last few days were 7.5 ,8 ,3.5 ,8.5 ,2.5 ,7.5 ,8.5 ,3.5 ,8, 4 ,8 ! I find that my sleep is very "fragile" right now, small changes in diet, medication, pain level, etc.. can really make or break it. (I am 8 months out from withdrawal).

Try taking a look at this list and see if anything could be setting you back:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=164920.0

• 4 weeks later...

I also find that my sleep is way up and down at times now. Last few days were 7.5 ,8 ,3.5 ,8.5 ,2.5 ,7.5 ,8.5 ,3.5 ,8, 4 ,8 ! I find that my sleep is very "fragile" right now, small changes in diet, medication, pain level, etc.. can really make or break it. (I am 8 months out from withdrawal).

Try taking a look at this list and see if anything could be setting you back:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=164920.0

Wow meowie, you sound like me. I am so sensitive to medications and supplements. During my years on benzos, while I was having WD and not knowing it, I tried 30 different meds and over 50 supplements to no avail. I try small amounts on my tongue because they often have paradoxical effects.  Antihistamine are the worse for me, wire me and I won't sleep for 2 days. So I guess this is a waiting gMe for me but it is so difficult to live on a broken 0-3 hours a night. Thanks for your insights.

• 2 weeks later...