Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Banning anxiety/worry/complaints from conversation

[so...]

The thing that brought me to benzos in the first place was health anxiety. I became very obsessed with supplements and trying to control my health issues on my own, to the point that my partner tells me that we rarely have regular conversations anymore or even talk about anything not health-related.

Not only is that bad for my relationships with others, but it's bad for my mind. Nonstop talking about health worries? That's not good for anybody. I have tried to "cut down" in the past, but as of today I officially decided to just ban it from my life, period. The worries may come to mind but I refuse to verbalize them.

I'm a full 24 hours in at this point and I can say it was the best day I've had in months. I actually had fun tonight! Even while I was having anxiety! Simply because I wasn't talking about worrisome things.

I'm going to try to extend this to worrying and complaining in general. If anyone wants to join me in this attempt, please jump in and post! I don't know for sure how effective this will be, but I'd imagine that keeping it out of my verbal repertoire (lol) will also help to keep it out of my brain. So let's see how this crazy idea of mine goes, shall we? :-X

I talk to my son almost daily, and I was always focusing on my health worries. I told him that I wanted to change to keeping thoughts positive overall. I can tell him about health fears, but then I need to end on a good note. I think what you have in mind is a positive thing. There's nothing we can do except eat healthy, get enough exercise, and give ourselves good thoughts. I believe this helps to boost the immune system. I can't say that I won't verbalize health fears, but I'm trying to keep a positive outlook. #1 is getting out and walking for me. That helps tremendously.

I am four days in and I'm stunned at how much my thoughts have changed in response to not verbalizing my health anxiety.

I don't think I shared what inspired this. Two weekends ago, we had company over for the first time in ages. I "acted like" a normal person (lol) because that's just what you do. But I had a wonderful time, and afterwards I wondered why I'm able to treat others to a more pleasant "me" but I don't give that same courtesy to my partner every day. So I decided that I would.

These have honestly been the best four days that I've had in years. I'm having conversations about anything other than health anxiety or worries. TV shows, future plans, work stuff, creative ideas... and again, not fake positive. It doesn't have to be positive though I'm trying to steer myself away from complaining because it's just a bad habit of mine.

They say it takes 21 days to make a habit. I am in this for the long haul!

I'm in S&P,

I never talk about my issues much to my bf and he likes it  that way! Can you imagine - he likes it that way??  ;D He gives me my space to heal and has every faith in the world that it will happen. He told me I was worth the wait...what a guy! Wish I would have met him before I met my ex!...good to know there are good men out there who actually understand and have the patience it takes for this nightmare... :thumbsup: