Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Help Please! Afraid to fall asleep

[0b...]

[0b...]
Now things have morphed for me into being afraid to fall asleep for some unknown stupid reason.  I alm in a constant state of panic which makes loss of sleep even worse but can't sleep as I feel like I am "trapped"  What can I do.  I can't survive much longer like this.  I try to talk myself out of it, but it doesn't work...constantly bombarded with fear and panic 24/7.  So hard to function w/o much sleep.  Help need words of advice and encouragement.  Please...Please....Please  Will this go away?  How do I live when I am afraid and feel trapped all the time. 

I've had this too, related to health anxiety. I have a deep existential fear of death that I'm working on - not just fear of my own death, but fear of losing loved ones around me. Health anxiety makes it worse, and it eventually started this whole path. I'm not going to tell you what to do or give advice because I'm unsure what will help, it's sort of something we have to figure out on our own. Are you getting any sort of mental health support, like therapy or something? I know that's a real personal question. I'm in therapy and it helps, a lot.

In the beginning of my Insomnia issues this was my main problem.

Fear of not sleeping and fear of trying to fall asleep and failing constantly.  When it got late in the day and sun started setting I was full or dread and fear.  It was like a countdown for me nightly until I knew I needed to go lay in bed and see if I could sleep.  At my worst I was so panic stricken that I just couldnt even sit down without having a panic attack.

It lasted a while but eventually things improved slowly and corners have been turned.  It does get better but going through the hell is hard and I dont wish that on anyone!

Now I dont dread sleep at all and I look at it as a normal part of life again.  Last 3 nights in a row I have slept 7+ hours.  I still have some nights of 3-4 hours but those are limited to a few times a month and typically I get 6-7 now,

You will improve but its a lot of mental improvement that needs to take place.  You gotta start trying to be more positive in regards to sleep.  It is hard but slowly you will see that you will survive.

Wishing you the best man!

This is exactly how my insomnia started... I had 1 night of my first ever insomnia and then onwards I was scared of falling asleep!

I thought I was going to die in my sleep so didn't want to go to sleep

Been down that wrote several times in the past few years, severe insomnia.  Wanted to avoid prescription meds at all cost tried everything from 5htp, glycine, taurine, gaba and l-theanine nothing seemed to work.  So I was put on a anti-depressant plus klonopin, ambien and that helped but the side effects are hell, now Im weaning off meds and what has helped tremendously is a bit of indica at night before bed.  Wish I would have known that years ago...pharmaceutical meds are poison to our bodies they end up hurting us more in the long run than helping us.

Again the way,

I'm 5 months off soon and this isn't going away for me. I try to have hope because the longer I stay off the more I will heal but I understand how hard the this is. I don't sleep much at all unless I take Remeron which is drugged sleep. I'm right here with you in this. I'm afraid of sleep at this point too. Every post u make reminds me of me . Let's pray things get better. Stay distracted the most you can. I know I'm barely functions as well.

Theway, I am so sorry you are suffering with this "trapped" feeling. I remember those days. I felt trapped in my body and mind, and there was no escape from the physical pain and mental torment. Fear ruled me, But it does not last, it will pass, I promise you it will go away. As with all this BS, just give it more time.