Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Should I get out more? Having some anxiety.

[cr...]

I've been staying inside a lot lately because I feel so weak. It's really easy just to stay bed ridden. But last week I did get out and actually went to a convention. I felt terrible the whole time, but it was still fun.

Should I get out more? I feel like staying inside is making me more agoraphobic. My previous cbt therapist used to say exposure therapy and repetition would cure that sort of anxiety. But, seriously I always feel worse if I go somewhere. When I just stay at home then I don't have as much anxiety.

Anyway, today I felt really strange and kind of freaked myself out. It might have been the start of a panic attack or something. It's been awhile since I've had one, so I hope that disorder doesn't come back. I was just sitting at home and I felt really spaced out and terrified suddenly for no good reason.

I'm still feeling kind of bad right now actually. A bit odd considering I've been at the same dose for 5 days or so. I had almost no trouble cutting this latest dose of lorazepam. Maybe the withdrawal is just hitting me now.

My psychiatrist has also done exposure therapy with me on pushing past the huge anxiety I'm experiencing. I also have a tendency to isolate myself and not go out and not deal with anything. I don't think it is great for us to stay home all the time. He wanted me to get more used to being out in public and challenged me to start a conversation with a  stranger. I actually did it and it went well so I don't forcing ourselves to do is such a bad thing. Sometimes staying home may be better too.

I found it better to get out of the house, even if it was just for a walk around the block. When I was going through my taper I spent a lot of time at the library. It's nice because there's no pressure there, i can find something to read, and iut's not like going to the mall where you're bombarded with ads and sales people and that kind of pressure.

Do you have a park nearby? Sometimes it's nice to just sit on a bench. No need to always be interacting with people.

I had agoraphobia earlier in wd and was it tough to get out the door!! But I had to do it because I had to get groceries and didn't have a car. Just do what you can. I found that staying inside was like being in a cocoon. I didn't have to deal with the constant noise and DR/DP were less, and I felt safe. I had to steel myself for when I went out.

As Travis said, walking around the block will help if you're afraid to go very far from home.

Don't worry, because all the symptoms will go!! I have no problem getting out the door now. I used to hem and haw. Sometimes I'd get showered and dressed, and then stand at the door, not able to do it. I didn't go out on the weekends, especially, because it would be really busy. I just remembered that a little while ago.

I was really dizzy earlier in wd, so I had a difficult time. Do only what you can do. Even one walk around the block will help.