Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Staying Up Way Too Late

[cr...]

Hey everyone. So I've always had a slight problem getting to sleep. I have some sort of irrational fear of it. Just mildly. Anyways, it tends to keep me up. It's been particularly difficult getting to sleep lately due to my ativan taper. I guess I'm scared I'm going to die in my sleep or sth due to the withdrawal wreaking havoc on me all day.

I wish I could fall asleep as easily my parents. Who love sleeping. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't stop pushing my bedtime further and further back. I went to sleep last night... morning... at 8am.

I stay asleep fairly well once I finally do get to sleep. It seems like I close my eyes for like an hour and nothing happens. Then all the sudden, I've teleported 6 to 10 hours into the future and I'm back in withdrawal and awake. Also, I haven't been dreaming much lately. Which is fine I guess.

Hi crescent,

I've read so many posts on this very same thing and I myself have this problem. I haven't found a solution, yet but I'm still working on it. I have a habit of pushing my bedtime back, like you do.

I get almost nervous when it comes time to fall asleep. It's as if I dread the time to come. In acute, I just accepted that I just wasn't going to sleep! No way could I fall asleep and if I did, sometimes I'd wake up in a panic. So, I'd become glued to TV to distract my thinking, which I couldn't seem to shut off.  I think because of those times, it made me frightened to go to sleep. Maybe it left me afraid, Idk....

I'm rambling, sorry. What I've been doing is taking Valerian Root about an hour before I want to sleep, which by the way is around 3 o'clock in the AM these days. The problem is, sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. I think to sleep without the help of drugs or supplements, you have to try different things, maybe aromatherapy, visual aides, meditation, music, warm bath, you get the idea.

I envy people like your parents who can fall asleep anytime, anywhere. I don't know how they do it.

Are you doing well with your taper? You said you've always had a problem with sleep, so you had this even before your taper? And I guess another thing to think about is what methods, if any has worked for you in the past.

I'm so sorry I wasn't more help. Right now, I'm avoiding trying to sleep, myself and I'm a bit punchy. Hopefully others will chime in shortly. Good luck!  ~CeCe

Hi CeCe. My taper is going. Just going lol. I'm on day one of a new cut so I'm having a pretty rough night. I only stayed at previous dose for 1 week. So that's going just greeeaaat.

Haven't tried valerian root. I've been using l theanine some. Same kind of story. Sometimes it works. But yes I've always stayed up a bit too late. I used to do a heavy night of drinking to reset my clock. Although now I obviously can't do that because of the drug interaction.

I do the same thing, stay up super late and can't fall asleep. When I do sleep it's restless. I slept like a baby until I cut to 1mg. That is when the trouble started. I don't think I cut too fast, but maybe because I am cutting in .25 increments, this last one was too much. Going to try melatonin and/or valerian root. Perhaps Benadryl.....