Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

what works for you with trying different things? (sleep aids)

[te...]

So I have resorted to taking SOMETHING pretty much every night now, because it makes me feel better to just TRY something rather than worry that I won't sleep. It's nice to take the pressure off, but I've had mixed results.

I have been alternating between my trazodone (usually only once a week), unisom (once a week), and other herbal things - right now been doing this melatonin ultra supplement I found at costco, that has been pretty decent, although I was waking up every few hours still but it wasn't the worst. Tonight I took it, and although I fell asleep briefly for 20-30 mins during a podcast, i was awakened and now I'm up. My thinking probably did not help! I researched and it seemed safe to take 2 of these, so I took another one. (it has melatonin + other herbal stuff in it, not going to list all the ingredients but nothing I'm not comfortable with, I also don't want to trigger anyone who gets stimulated by herbal stuff).

Some people have said they take the same thing consistently. I have tried alternating with stronger things less frequently, and "weaker" things multiple days in a row. If I try something totally new, or try sleeping with nothing, I do this on the weekends. what works for you?

I'm giving in and totally giving herbs a shot., btw. I don't seem to have any negative effects from them that I can tell. I realize some may stimulate GABA receptors, and I'm willing to take the risk.. although I think I will be okay. I'm not sure if what I'm still experiencing is full blown benzo withdrawal insomnia anymore, or just regular insomnia that has another underlying cause. I just did a full panel blood test today for lady hormones and had cortisol tested a few weeks ago. Very grateful for the medical professionals who want to investigate these things.

I am also open to medicinal marijuana at this point! Anything that will get me through several consecutive nights of GOOD sleep.

Behavior wise, trying to have good sleep hygiene, while I know being on a comp right now is not smart! Researched foods that help, eating more peanut butter before bed  :laugh:Anxiety is slowly decreasing, maybe because I'm tapering zoloft? I've been listening to podcasts and ASMR stuff, sometimes it works but then my sleep gets interrupted when it turns off or switches... I also go to hypnosis sessions now. I like them, but the ironic thing is the night after the sessions, I don't sleep! (this happened last wednesday and happening again tonight!).

I know we are all in similar boats, although our stages are different. I would love to hear what helps you, and if you think I could change anything. This obsession with sleep has got to go! (i know I should be happy i fell asleep for 20-30 minutes, i know many would kill for this!).

TW, I truly feel your angst!!!  In my humble opinion you are doing everything within your power to help with sleep.  It is a complex situation without a clear answer and in my 3 month journey I have tried many "natural" and chemical treatments...the one medication that keeps rising up is Remeron/Mirtazepine 7.5 mg-15 mg.  I also rotate my supplements because if it works tonight it probably won't work tomorrow night, LOL!  NOT negative expectations, it is the reality of my experiences.

One thing I know for sure, where I was 12 wks ago and where I am now in regard to insomnia are very different...I have faced the fact that I might always have to adjust my sleep hours. And also to face the fact that long standing sleep difficulties lead to my love affair with Benzos and subsequent fall into Hell.  Now that I understand my sleep problems better I am still hoping to become a "normal" night sleeper as I progress through recovery.

I wish you the best and will be following your healing journey.

Thanks so much, Choco!!! I really appreciate your responses, they mean a lot to me! I love what you said about it being very different than 12 weeks ago... these things really do morph, which affects our perspective on them, however that direction goes. I ended up staying calm last night when I was up, and laid back down and tried many relaxing podcasts/youtube videos and settled on this one ASMR type one. I drifted off for a short time, got up (my husband woke up too) and then got a solid 3 hour chunk between 2ish-5ish, and then slept a little more before 5-6. I don't feel like death, I feel like I wish I got more sleep, but I'm not freaking out which in itself is a miracle! I also realized I had a great dream about someone I really like, and the theme of my hypnosis session yesterday was dreaming, so that is pretty cool. Also, totally had an epiphany, i was wondering "why can't I sleep! why isn't this sleep aid working! why can't I shut my brain off" and this morning it dawned on me, yesterday I had a mini traumatic incident, someone hit my car while I was driving, and then drove off! (hit and run!) at the time I was calm, called insurance, etc etc, but perhaps it affected me on a deeper level and triggered my hypervigilant response! How are things going for you?

You got to do what's good for you ,  as I've said in the past I stick with one thing because it works, but honestly I wish I wasn't on just one thing because I know it'll become a dependency. It's just something I'm gonna have to get off of in the future. I do plan on tapering the Mirtazapine a little bit next month.  I wouldn't worry too much about what you're doing and what you're taking because there's always gonna be somebody on this form saying it's not good for you today. Sleep is one of the most important things we have to get in order to heal, in my opinion anyway. With mirtazapine I  sleep 7 to 8 hours a night but I also feel like I only sleep two, hence I want to taper a little bit so I'm not as drowsy.  I eventually want to try medical marijuana as well, Street marijuana I'd be too scared to drive because I'm sure we'll just amp me up .  Anyway wish you a good night as always

You got to do what's good for you ,  as I've said in the past I stick with one thing because it works, but honestly I wish I wasn't on just one thing because I know it'll become a dependency. It's just something I'm gonna have to get off of in the future. I do plan on tapering the Mirtazapine a little bit next month.  I wouldn't worry too much about what you're doing and what you're taking because there's always gonna be somebody on this form saying it's not good for you today. Sleep is one of the most important things we have to get in order to heal, in my opinion anyway. With mirtazapine I  sleep 7 to 8 hours a night but I also feel like I only sleep two, hence I want to taper a little bit so I'm not as drowsy.  I eventually want to try medical marijuana as well, Street marijuana I'd be too scared to drive because I'm sure we'll just amp me up .  Anyway wish you a good night as always

Thanks so much, friend! :)

I agree, what all have to do what's best for us, and not necessarily take everything to heart we read or hear about someone else's experience. I am all down for as natural as possible right now, and am so glad I have a naturopath on board as well as a new Physician Assistant who works at a functional medicine primary care place - which also supports medicinal MJ, so maybe eventually i will get a card and try it. I would only try the kind with CBD (i think it's called that?) that isn't psychoactive, just for my anxiety and insomnia. I cannot believe I am actually considering this, but I have seen how much it helps so many people, and my good friends have tried safe edibles in Colorado and say they are really good and not "high inducing" like street versions. I have friends with autoiummune diseases and it helps them a lot.

I'm going to continue to alternate what I am doing, and use lots of natural things (i.e. herbs, supplements, teas etc) during the week, and occasionally have a night where I use a stronger pharmaceutical like unisom or trazodone for for more hours of sleep. I know I am doing all the right non-pill related things, like hypnosis, exercise, eating right, etc so hopefully this helps support me too.

It's been over a month since I've been on lorazepam. I honestly feel better every week. While my sleep is still messed up, all the other weird things like anxiety/restlessness spells, and crying for no reason, tingling, adrenaline rushes are gone. I think I am actually read to try having some alcohol. I know many people would say "NO" to this, I think it will be okay, but it's worth trying and being cautious about. Where i live (CA) we have very good wine, and my husband and I even joined a wine club and we get shipments. I don't want to live a life where I can never have anything because I'm afraid it might make things worse. I never had an alcohol abuse problem and always drank responsibly. I shared a beer with my husband 2 weekends ago and was fine, so maybe this weekend I will allow myself to have a glass of wine. We'll see how it goes.

No alcohol.... that will bind to gaba and start you all over.  Please ask here before you do anything like that.

I did have half a beer a few weeks ago, with food, and was quite okay afterwards. I know in the manual, she says occasional use is okay. I think everyone is a little different. I never am one to go overboard with alcohol, and I think I will be okay, as long as I am smart about it. I know I will drink again in my life, and at some point I have to try things and test them out. I do know about the GABA thing and how it works, and at some point I'm doing to drink again. Maybe this weekend, maybe not, but I love good wine and beer, and I am not going to abstain forever... so we'll see how it goes. I'm sure many would disagree with this, but we all are different.