Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Is this bout of depression benzo w/d or something else?

[mi...]

Since a few days after going cold turkey (those are a few days I am still trying to forget) I have been only mildly depressed.  However, for about a week now I have slipped into a deep dark depression that most of you have probably experienced: the kind where death seems imminent, all hope is lost and you can barely even remember what it felt like to feel normal.  My concern is that I am 5.5 months into w/d.  I understand that symptoms can wax and wane during this process, but even the Ashton Manual says that depression is usually present for a few months after c/t.  I have been hoping that much of my depression over the last 3 years has been benzo related, but this bout is particularly concerning.  It does come after months of debilitating tension headaches, so it's always possible that the being in chronic pain has caused my stress buck to tip over, meaning this is still possibly related to benzos (assuming the headaches are from benzos).  Any insights into whether you could get a bout of severe depression this long into the benzo w/d process?

Michael P

PS  This also coincides with some other attempts I am making on the supplement/alternative medicine front to see if something else is causing all my symptoms, so it is possible these efforts might be mucking my system up even more.  But I will write about that in the supplement forum. 

I don't know if any active members have had this experience because we don't have that many members who have been off benzos for so long.  I was on an antidepressant before I started tapering and my depression actually lessened for the most part as I tapered.  I'm sorry I can't be more help.  :-\

I got a bad bout of deep dark depression that scared me when I was about 3 months off. It only lasted a few hours. I have never ever thought thoughts that bad in my life. It's nothing like natural depression and I was very glad to see it leave!!

i think it is probably benzo w/d related since you said it's the worst depression you've ever experienced and also because you're still within that 1 year  mark.

i too am going through a severe depression and it's nothing like the depression i had prior to benzo w/d.  but i'm only 3.5 months out.

i hope you and i both feel better soon.

take care.

Thank you all for you replies. I am wondering if the fact that I stopped taking my Prozac a few months ago could be catching up to me as well. What a mess. Michaelp

I stopped taking my Lexepro 6 months into my Klonopin cold turkey and got hit really bad with the dark scary thoughts.  I went back on it and felt much better, benzo induced depression is horrible.  I've since quit the Lexepro and find I'm doing great, not a bit of depression.