Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

What is your average weekly "drug free" amount of sleep in hours?

[54...]

Tough for me to say, as the sleep is heavily broken up over the course of the night and I have stopped looking at clocks.  If I had to put a number on it, I would say I have been getting in the vicinity of 30 to 32 hours a week.

I looked at two weeks early in withdrawal and they were 31 hours and 37 hours total. I now get around 7 hours pretty much every night, unless I do something stupid, so I'm probably at about 50 hours.

I am 6 months off and I am getting 5-6 hours sleep per night, if I can manage to lay in bed for 10-12 hours. :idiot:

That means, I am still very often awake and sleep is interrupted but it gets better.

When I am in a quiet house, I can even sleep 7-8 hours without interruption. Also sleep feels deeper and more healthy now, - I think with every day it gets better. Look at my posts here while I was in the first months/weeks: total insomnia.

There is hope!!

You're one month out.  When I was one month out, I would get 2-4 hours a night most nights (and I was taking doxy nightly back then).  Initially, I anguished over the lack of sleep, but an older/wiser BB suggested that I try to relax about the whole sleeping issue.  In time I did and it helped.

OK...how many zero nights did you get?  I had at least 10 during the first month out...that does not seem normal and the only sleep I ever got was with an Rx drug.

OK...how many zero nights did you get?  I had at least 10 during the first month out...that does not seem normal and the only sleep I ever got was with an Rx drug.

I am nearly 2 months out and have not had any zero nights.  My worst night was probably 2 to 2-1/2 hours.  That said, my best nights aren't tons better than my worst.

What is disturbing to me is that I wake up every approximately 1 hr and 45 minutes after falling asleep.  This is no matter how tired I am and no matter when I fall asleep.  It's really odd.  I've done a lot of reading online and have found that this type of regular waking has become permanent for many people.  I am assuming this is the way I will live the rest of my life and will have to figure out a way to get a job and keep it while suffering the constant wake-ups.  I'm not looking forward to the rest of life.

I usually don't LOL fall asleep until about 4 or 5 a.m. and I wake up between 7 and 8 sometimes 9 but I don't think it's really great sleep...

Oh so I'm thinking about 20 hours week maybe not even....

If it helps some please refer to my last post in alternative Therapies and I will keep you informed as to whether or not this Sedalia has helped me with my sleep I just started taking it today and it really has taking the edge off of almost all of my withdrawal symptoms especially the fatigue from lack of sleep.....

I really try not to worry because I know the sleep will come and I just know that I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances and even if I'm not sleeping I'm doing deep breathing and relaxing my body which in essence is very good for your body so I'm not all worked up about not getting any sleep...

You guys are getting way more than I am.  Only about 15 hours per week and that is with taking something.  WTH :tickedoff:

Sounds logical when I read in your signature that you made CT in August!

give it time, and hands off anything chemical to sleep. and no rescue doses. just my opinion.

The way-

My sleep was like yours... For 6 months!  I often didnt sleep at all and when I did it was for up to 4 hours.  I was on seroquel during 1-3 months and mirtazpine for months 4-6.  It was hell, and still is.  The only difference is that I'm off meds and managing with very little sleep.  I get between 2-4 hours these days.  On a rare occasion I get up to 6 broken hours.  Being 12 months off, I thought I would be healed by now. 

I'll be 12 months off on Oct 4 and I'm very similar to sleepless ... most nights between 2-4 hrs and a couple of nights a month maybe 6 ... averaging 20-26 hrs a week ... not taking anything.  Tried various things meds while still tapering with no success, but in last year just tried OTC i.e. melatonin, tart cherry juice, Gravol with varying results ... past 6 mths basically trying without but sleep has not improved, actually a little worse past couple of months.

I am 16 months off and I average 4 hours a night of sleep.  Many nights less and there have been a few (5 or less) where I have gotten 6 or 7.  I often wonder if it will ever change.

21 months out and I'm getting 12 or less this month. Soooo very hard. I get excited when I get two hour stretches. Most nights are still zero nights but I'm trying to be encouraged as this is drug free sleep at last.

I'm 19 months off.  First few months insomnia was brutal then it got better.  At 9 months off again experienced brutal insomnia.  I'm in a wave right now maybe 4-5 hours of broken sleep.  I have not been able to sleep more than 5 hours since my cold turkey. 

No one can beat me. Almost 5 years off still averaging 4 to 5 nights light to rem...fu king crazy.....im begining to wonder if this will be my fate til i die.... :idiot:

Hsj- that is terrible.  Have you taken any kind of prescription or OTC since stopping the benzo?  Do you feel tired at night?  Or are you wired?  Do you ever get a decent night of sleep? 

I don't know how I will cope if this insomnia follows me through the next 4+ years of my life!  The last 18 months have me going bat shit crazy- not sure I can do much more!!

** I do want to point out though that I'm in my best window to date.  9 days of getting an average of 6 broken hours sleep (too much REM though). This is so much better than my normal 3-4 hours.  I pray this sticks- though last night was loaded with anxiety and jerks so I'm afraid this window is slowly shutting.