Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Will Sleep Hygiene Help?

[33...]

[33...]
How do you know if your sleep issues are a part of w/d or just sleep issues that people have that never took Benzos?  I read where people that have Chronic Sleep issues, go for days w/o sleep too.  So how can I be sure how to "treat" or react to my sleeplessness?  Is it just sleep issues or Benzo issues?  How can you tell?  Both offer the same results regarding sleeplessness.

[e8...]
From your signature it looks like you took benzos to help you sleep, and withdrawing adversely affects many people's sleep.  So it's probably both. 

Regarding the tagline of "Will Sleep Hygiene Help?," I have read and agree that it won't for now.  The reasoning being that traditional ways of treating sleep issues via good practices don't apply during benzo withdrawal.  It becomes a matter of whatever helps.  I am also struggling with some harsh insomnia right now.  I have been off for 7 weeks.  It has been difficult, but I keep muddling through waiting a good response.  Hope this is helpful.  We can do it!

TheWay,

I'm sorry you are struggling so terribly with insomnia.

There is a wonderful book I read early in withdrawal called KLONOPIN WITHDRAWALS AND HOWLING DOGS which chronicles the authors struggle with severe sleep deprivation caused by benzo withdrawal. It may be worth a read for hope and comfort. The author is now fully recovered.

I hope you can find some solace in it.

TheWay,

You are not alone in the least. Insomnia is a very common thing with benzo withdrawal. In my case right now, antipsychotic withdrawal. I have been off Risperdal about two months already and it threw my routine off. Since my whole routine has been thrown off, it caused insomnia. My best advice to you, as I am trying to do is try to develop a routine that is not too strict and that you can follow. It doesn't have to be the same thing at every time every day. Try to start by making small commitments. In my case, I am going to try and do some yoga in 15 minute increments 3 times a day. It is extremely relaxing and it helps physically and mentally as well as helps to promote sleep. As everyone mentioned to you, time does heal and this is a healing process. Things will improve and in a year from now, you look back at this whole experience and realize what a strong person  you are and you were able to get through such a challenging experience such as coming off a benzo. Sleep will come.  As of right now (like what I am doing) sleep when you can. Even if you decide it is time to sleep at 3pm. Don't be so hard on yourself. The regular sleep cycle will fall into place when your body is ready. But as of right now, make tiny commitments and tiny goals for yourself and stick by them. Don't give yourself a set time. Try to eat healthy, stay hydrated and spend time with people you want to be around. Things will get better. Hang in there. You are certainly not alone <3

TheWay,

I'm sorry you are struggling so terribly with insomnia.

There is a wonderful book I read early in withdrawal called KLONOPIN WITHDRAWALS AND HOWLING DOGS which chronicles the authors struggle with severe sleep deprivation caused by benzo withdrawal. It may be worth a read for hope and comfort. The author is now fully recovered.

I hope you can find some solace in it.

Thanks for posting Kiddo!!!