Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Celebrities on Benzodiazepines ?

[su...]

I was reading something about a famous movie actress who was caught stealing and in her purse was 8 different drugs; one was Valium. I think a lot of the famous movies stars also share this problem we have, it's interesting to me.

One of the reasons why I wanted off this pill was when all those celebs died in a short amount of time and all of them were taking a benzo or more than one in some cases. I told this to my GP and he said he heard that too but they were abusing the drug. I know now they just couldn't quit or didn't know how to quit.

Back in the old days they were taking the Barbiturates, I just think of how many of them suffered too and it's all so very interesting to me.

I've wondered the samething, but we already know the celebritys that died while on benzos and celebrity rehab with Dr. drew had some celebs were detoxing off benzos in that show, but I forgot which ones

this is a societal wide problem so of course celebrities are part of it too...

the fact is some of these people are taking meds as prescribed...or they take them as prescribed and then have a few drinks...

god knows I did that all the time and I was no drunk...

saying they are abusing it is a way for docs to let themselves off the hook, when the truth is they are creating and sustaining addicts every day...

my doctor did that...

I have no problem calling myself an addict...even if it was accidental that is what I was...

legal or illegal, we live in a drug culture full of people who don't want to feel with plenty of drug pushers, both illicit and not (doctors) ready to supply us with our drugs.

once we're aware of what is really going on we can be part of healing this mess.

saying they are abusing it is a way for docs to let themselves off the hook, when the truth is they are creating and sustaining addicts every day...

That's what really pisses me off!  I work in healthcare and see it all the time:  doctors prescribe super-addicting drugs, patients become completely dependent on them, then the doctors blame the patients for not being able to function without the pills.  Suddenly, the patient is a "drug-seeker", and gets treated like a heroin junkie.

Ted Koppel's Son Killed by Hard Drugs & Booze

Originally posted Jun 18th 2010 11:00 AM PDT by TMZ Staff

Ted Koppel's son died from an accidental overdose of booze, heroin and several other drugs, according to the New York City medical examiner.

The ME says Andrew Koppel suffered an acute intoxication from alcohol, heroin, cocaine, and a generic form of Valium.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/06/18/ted-koppel-andrew-koppel-death-killed-heroin-cocaine-alcohol-cause-of-death/

• 2 weeks later...
Benzos are not a celebrity issue but a human issue.  All of us who are BenzoBuddies are regular folks not famous people as a rule.

Benzos are not a celebrity issue but a human issue.  All of us who are BenzoBuddies are regular folks not famous people as a rule.

True, but I think the idea is that if some acknowledgement or further exposure of the benzo-problems could be attained via celebrity cases, it would hopefully raise awareness in the treating community and patients who are unaware or in denial of the real danger of benzos and like meds.

• Like 1