Psilocybin and MDMA (Psychedelic Drugs) for Psychiatric Disorders

[...]

FYI, MDMA is neurotoxic, according to this addiction medicine textbook:

"The increase in extracellular monoamines caused by drugs of abuse is thought to be

responsible for their addictive properties. Importantly, however, the increased dopamine

(DA) in the synaptic cleft might also be responsible for the neurotoxic damage

caused by several of these agents (Cadet and Brannock, 1998; Cadet et al., 2007).

In fact, this might provide a partial explanation for the original report of

methamphetamine-induced toxicity in brain regions with high monoaminergic content

(Gibb and Kogan, 1979). Dopamine by itself is neurotoxic both in vitro and in vivo

(Graham et al., 1978). It is easily oxidized via enzymatic and nonenzymatic mechanisms

and then induces oxidative stress (Cadet and Brannock, 1998). Amphetamine,

amphetamine derivatives, cocaine, 3,4-methylenedioxy-methamphetamine (MDMA),

and opiates have all been reported to produce oxidative stress within the nervous

system (Yamamoto and Bankson, 2005). Active metabolites of dopamine and/or

related substances might cause oxidative stress by forming free radicals via the formation

of quinones and the generation of quinone cascades secondary to MDMA

metabolism (Lyles and Cadet, 2003)."

This is from Chapter 2 on drug-induced neurotoxicity from the text "Neuroscience for addiction medicine: from prevention to rehabilitation - constructs and drugs" (2016)

So is caffeine. And oxygen. Much has to do with the dose.

Good call. People in benzo withdrawal should probably not drink coffee if you are counting brain cells. Seems like it might increase the rate apoptosis.  https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-23560-7

"Caffeine Augments Anesthesia Neurotoxicity in the Fetal Macaque Brain

"Caffeine is the most frequently used medication in premature infants. It is the respiratory stimulant of choice for apnea associated with prematurity and has been called the silver bullet in neonatology because of many proven benefits and few known risks. Research has revealed that sedative/anesthetic drugs trigger apoptotic death of neurons and oligodendrocytes in developing mammalian brains. Here we evaluated the influence of caffeine on the neurotoxicity of anesthesia in developing nonhuman primate brains. Fetal macaques (n = 7–8/group), at a neurodevelopmental age comparable to premature human infants, were exposed in utero for 5 hours to no drug (control), isoflurane, or isoflurane + caffeine and examined for evidence of apoptosis. Isoflurane exposure increased apoptosis 3.3 fold for neurons and 3.4 fold for oligodendrocytes compared to control brains. Isoflurane + caffeine caused neuronal apoptosis to increase 8.0 fold compared to control levels but did not augment oligoapoptosis. Neuronal death was particularly pronounced in the basal ganglia and cerebellum. Higher blood levels of caffeine within the range considered therapeutic and safe for human infants correlated with increased neuroapoptosis. Caffeine markedly augments neurotoxicity of isoflurane in the fetal macaque brain and challenges the assumption that caffeine is safe for premature infants."

"It has been demonstrated in infant mice that a 4-hour exposure to a sub-anesthetic dose of midazolam45 or diazepam33 induces a significant neurotoxic reaction, and when CAF (caffeine) is administered together with either drug, the neurotoxic action is significantly augmented33,34."

That being said, I've read people who drank coffee during withdrawal and healed, so it's probably not a huge problem. You would need to drink a heck of a lot to increase apoptosis as much as in this study. But probably stay away from those crazy energy drinks. Also best to breathe air and not pure oxygen :)

"The increase in extracellular monoamines caused by drugs of abuse is thought to be

responsible for their addictive properties. Importantly, however, the increased dopamine

caused by several of these agents (Cadet and Brannock, 1998; Cadet et al., 2007).

methamphetamine-induced toxicity in brain regions with high monoaminergic content

(Gibb and Kogan, 1979). Dopamine by itself is neurotoxic both in vitro and in vivo

(Graham et al., 1978). It is easily oxidized via enzymatic and nonenzymatic mechanisms

and opiates have all been reported to produce oxidative stress within the nervous

related substances might cause oxidative stress by forming free radicals via the formation

This is from Chapter 2 on drug-induced neurotoxicity from the text "Neuroscience for addiction medicine: from prevention to rehabilitation - constructs and drugs" (2016)

So is caffeine. And oxygen. Much has to do with the dose.

Good call. People in benzo withdrawal should probably not drink coffee if you are counting brain cells. Seems like it might increase the rate apoptosis.  https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-23560-7

"Caffeine Augments Anesthesia Neurotoxicity in the Fetal Macaque Brain

"Caffeine is the most frequently used medication in premature infants. It is the respiratory stimulant of choice for apnea associated with prematurity and has been called the silver bullet in neonatology because of many proven benefits and few known risks. Research has revealed that sedative/anesthetic drugs trigger apoptotic death of neurons and oligodendrocytes in developing mammalian brains. Here we evaluated the influence of caffeine on the neurotoxicity of anesthesia in developing nonhuman primate brains. Fetal macaques (n = 7–8/group), at a neurodevelopmental age comparable to premature human infants, were exposed in utero for 5 hours to no drug (control), isoflurane, or isoflurane + caffeine and examined for evidence of apoptosis. Isoflurane exposure increased apoptosis 3.3 fold for neurons and 3.4 fold for oligodendrocytes compared to control brains. Isoflurane + caffeine caused neuronal apoptosis to increase 8.0 fold compared to control levels but did not augment oligoapoptosis. Neuronal death was particularly pronounced in the basal ganglia and cerebellum. Higher blood levels of caffeine within the range considered therapeutic and safe for human infants correlated with increased neuroapoptosis. Caffeine markedly augments neurotoxicity of isoflurane in the fetal macaque brain and challenges the assumption that caffeine is safe for premature infants."

"It has been demonstrated in infant mice that a 4-hour exposure to a sub-anesthetic dose of midazolam45 or diazepam33 induces a significant neurotoxic reaction, and when CAF (caffeine) is administered together with either drug, the neurotoxic action is significantly augmented33,34."

That being said, I've read people who drank coffee during withdrawal and healed, so it's probably not a huge problem. You would need to drink a heck of a lot to increase apoptosis as much as in this study. But probably stay away from those crazy energy drinks. Also best to breathe air and not pure oxygen :)

lmao yes ...but i totally agree, all sarcasm aside, about no caffeine and sticking to plain air vs pure oxygen. lol

personally i am so sensitized to stimulants of any kind, that i can onlytolerate a  single iced tea that has been watered down by half with water in  a week. one very watered down iced tea per week. that's it. i've tested this out on my self to see if i could push the limits on that, because i really dig tea, and everytime i get headaches and by the second day of watered down iced teea in a row, migranes.  so it's a no go for me. a very once in a blue moon treat. more than that and i pay dearly. but that's MY SYTSEM, which you can get a fair idea from by looking at the link in my signature...the sheer number of psych drugs i've been on in the decades of my polydrugging makes it clear that my case is not the average (what is average?) case. probably why i'm hypersensitive to everything.

for air, i find that breathing it straight from the outdoors is wonderfully refreshing, although i miss getting it underwater. ah the mermaid days of my youth.

Hahah yes. I wish I knew what caused the sensitivity to so many things. It would be a heck of a lot easier to treat if we knew. Yet another unacknowledged harm of these drugs.

Funny how these things (I'm thinking of antidepressants now) went from "miracle drugs" to "safe and effective" to actually not very safe and not very effective. I haven't looked at the latest "number needed to treat" vs "number needed to harm" counts, but I've got to imagine more are harmed than benefit. I believe the guy who was director for the DSM IV is now saying they should only be used in people with severe depression. Others are just more likely to be harmed.

I put my hand up for this... :(

-I feel “Oxidised”...

Thanks.. 

:)